• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Shown Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beaux10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Being something of an Atlus fanboy, I'm slightly worried about Sega Sammy purchasing them. It sounds like a lot of people are freaking out about it, and while that's to be expected with such a big change, I'm still not sure how it'll actually affect Atlus themselves. I'd like to imagine that they'll just continue as usual but it's hard to tell.

On the other hand, the Neutral Milk Hotel reference actually made me chuckle. I've always liked that line just because of how strange and visual it is.

And in regard to the Zelda remake, Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game (being the only one I played as a kid) so I'm naturally pretty excited for this HD version. It's still the best looking game in the series, being filled with color and personality in a way that none of the others has quite lived up to (as cool as Ocarina is, it's surprisingly brown). And it also looks like they fixed some of the bloom issues that the remake had early on! It also had a ton of great side-quests, and though I've heard Majora's Mask did as well, I've still yet to play it...
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Is Rune Factory a good series? I've been interested in it for a while but I'm unfamiliar with its previous releases so I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger.

I've played through a decent amount of them recently. The first two haven't aged particularly well and were only decent starts with a lot of rough edges.

You can straight pick up 3 and not worry about the others. Rune Factory 3 is a very very good game with plenty of character and more refined combat. Plus, the relationship with all the people around you evolves the most natural out of the series. I wouldn't say it's the best at anything and the music of the series-like Harvest Moon-gets quickly turned down in favor of my music collection, but it's a nice little game to have.

I have played Frontier and Tides of Destiny. Frontier is one of my favorite time sinks. There's a lot to forgive. The loading screens between areas are atrocious and each day can take around 20-30 minutes. There's a runey system where there are beings floating around that maintain the ecosystem and keep your crops growing at a decent rate. The problem is: They eat each other and they can die out, meaning your crop can take forever to grow. Managing them is needless busy work that can at times severely bog down your enjoyment.

BUT, I like all the characters, there's plenty to do, and it makes you utilize all the resources available to you to be successful. You can beat Rune Factory 1 with the sword they give you near the start of the game. You HAVE to be able to use the forge, cook, build armor, and have your own pharmacy to get through Frontier, and it really makes getting through the game rewarding. It just takes awhile to get through. My first play through of the main plot where I didn't know totally what I was doing took around 100 hours.

Oh yeah, and it has one of my favorite game openings ever. The openings are usually bland JPop over bland cutesy imagery, but, suddenly....... jazz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTAtKCXiSHM

Tides of Destiny should've been better. The loading times were marginalized (Though I did buy the PS3 version instead of the Wii), there are no more runeys, they make exploration more rewarding, but there's a certain indescribable "it" missing. It's better on a technical level, but there's a bit missing is in its soul. The characters are less enjoyable, dungeon hopping's less fun overall, I don't know. It's still fine, it's just.... not as good.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
TGS was so boring this year. It's like they want Phil Fish and Inafune to be right.

Last edited by Kerberous on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:23 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Well Zeno Clash isn't cruddy, but that's nothing new. Atlus USA has always published non-Atlus games. This gen there were just less Japanese games to publish, so what else where they supposed to do? So they published more western games to fill out their release calendar.

Not only that, basicly every Japanese developer has had HD problems, so it's no surprise they haven't been pumping out console games. Besides it's not like they still haven't been making games, just not on consoles. Like a lot of Japanese developers.

Even this week's Tokyo Game Show seems to be taken over by Western-style games (Nintendo's absence notwithstanding) since there's the focus on the next-gen consoles PS4 and XB1, where there's yet not much Japanese presence. Though it makes sense that J-developers would take time due to not having the budgets and manpower that W-developers have, plus Japan being dominated by handhelds, there's less incentive for them to produce games that use next-gen power.

Among J-developers, Square-Enix's TGS booth was atypically scaled down and, while also showing FF13 and Dragon Quest X, also largely showed Call of Duty: Ghosts. Else, mid-tier J-RPGs were few and far between. Instead, the most talked about J-games courtesy of Capcom's Deep Down and Sony with Gran Turismo. Surprisingly, what actually helped out were the better presence of indie developers and, believe it or not, GREE the mobile gaming company had a big booth.

Meanwhile, great presence there were for Metal Gear Solid, GTA5 even though it's technically out, and Battlefield 4 with full-blown 16-on-16 network multiplayer:

But the star of TGS 2013 was undoubtedly --surprise surprise-- mecha-filled Titanfall. Even though it's still in beta, word-of-mouth made its Day-2 wait-time spike even longer than Day-1. Long lines yet good responses.

ishmael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
That helm reminded me of Griffith's. That pic of the knight reminded me of Dark Souls. That other pics remind me of OH MY GOD IS THAT SHANA?

Ahem.

On another note, the Drakengard 3 trailer did not impress me much.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
I'm not an expert in photo-editing by any means, but what kills me about the picture is the size of his hands in proportion to his head and shoulders. It also looks like his arm along the left edge of the picture is bent at a really weird angle.

Besides all that, the light blur along the top of his hands and controller looks a lot like a Photoshop effect.

But yeah - yay for Gravity Rush 2, yay for the return of Matsuno, yay for the likelihood that Drakengard 3 won't be terrible, yay for more Final Fantasy remakes, yay for region-free Joe Joe fighting games, yay for out of print books about gaming, yay for another BITE OF GUM-GUM, yay for Holland 1945.
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
So I honestly can't see any major issues with Sega's acquisition.

Look up Valkryia Chronicles 3, Phastasy Star Online 2, and/or Yakuza 5...
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Grand Theft Auto V isn't out in Japan.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Shana vs Asuna, that looks fun.

Also, skipping a Majora's Mask remake is unforgivable

thepsychogamer wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
So I honestly can't see any major issues with Sega's acquisition.

Look up Valkryia Chronicles 3, Phastasy Star Online 2, and/or Yakuza 5...

This is also unforgivable
Kerberous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Does anyone in Japan actually want to play it ? At least the PS3 is region-free.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
Kerberous wrote:
Primus wrote:

Does anyone in Japan actually want to play it ? At least the PS3 is region-free.
Yes, the games do decent in Japan and V had a supposedly busy both at TGS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I think I heard of Sega Sammy, but not sure. This is an interesting merger. Will this mean that Nintendo will have hold in this as well? After Sega has allowed use of their material in Nintendo's games and now Sega is buying Atlus, considering that Sega has been pretty low brow.

More games for android and iOS systems. Sooner or later they're gonna have to make a phone the size of the PSP Vita so people can take calls and play games. But surprising they're making a 3D version of the FFIV: TAY.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

More games for android and iOS systems. Sooner or later they're gonna have to make a phone the size of the PSP Vita so people can take calls and play games. But surprising they're making a 3D version of the FFIV: TAY.

At last month's "Conference survey gives us a peek at the lives and backgrounds of Japan’s game developers", almost half of J-developers (47%) are currently preparing titles for smartphones and tablets, even more than for handhelds like 3DS and Vita. Even last week's TGS 2013 showcased more mobile games than any other type of games. It's a reflection of console and mobile game revenues in Japan now being almost even:

• Combined retail sales of game consoles—static or portable—and the software for them topped 700 billion yen ($7 billion) in Japan in 2007, the year after the release of Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3.

But in 2012, the domestic market had shrunk to an estimated 485 billion yen, according to Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association.

The shortfall is a sharp contrast to the fast-expanding market for social games—those that involve some form of remote communication with others and are usually played in Japan on smartphones and other mobile devices—which now accounts for more than 400 billion yen a year.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

At last month's "Conference survey gives us a peek at the lives and backgrounds of Japan’s game developers", almost half of J-developers (47%) are currently preparing titles for smartphones and tablets, even more than for handhelds like 3DS and Vita. Even last week's TGS 2013 showcased more mobile games than any other type of games. It's a reflection of console and mobile game revenues in Japan now being almost even:

• Combined retail sales of game consoles—static or portable—and the software for them topped 700 billion yen ($7 billion) in Japan in 2007, the year after the release of Nintendo's Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3.

But in 2012, the domestic market had shrunk to an estimated 485 billion yen, according to Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association.

The shortfall is a sharp contrast to the fast-expanding market for social games—those that involve some form of remote communication with others and are usually played in Japan on smartphones and other mobile devices—which now accounts for more than 400 billion yen a year.

Thanks for that info. You know what's surprising that this didn't happen sooner when you think about it. I mean remember back when Square made that FF7 game and later Parasite Eve for mobile phones? That was like a little more than a decade ago. Now, it's really coming through. More than likely we'll see people really doing MMOs on their phones if they haven't started that already.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to get excited for the new Matsuno game until I get some assurance that it's not just for smartphones. They won't do me the way they did Breath of Fire fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2