• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Voltron Force Cartoon's Promo Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Meh.
It seems to have completely strayed from its anime roots.
I hope this isn't an embarrassment like the '90s incarnation was.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
The characters look like bland, generic ripoffs from the WB's heyday.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Wed May 18, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
2x post

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Wed May 18, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Pass!

Heck, I can't even watch the original Voltron these days!
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay...the character design looks fine, sort of reminds me of the shows on Kids WB in the 90s. Out of curiousity, I might watch the first episode, though it doesn't look great. But I have a question, if this is a sequel to the original, why are they all still alive? Didn't everybody die? What's Lotor doing there, wasn't he killed in the end? I never really saw the original, but that's what I thought I heard, that they all died. By the way, is it just me, or does Lotor look like a dark elf?
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
You know, all these complains about the animation and style remind me of Spectacular Spider-Man...
Still, you have to admit, it looks better than Voltron: The Third Demension Anime dazed

Anyways, between the new ThunderCats and this, I'm stoked. I needed a new domestic mecha show ever since Sym-Bionic Titan ended Crying or Very sad
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Designs I'm fine with, just wish they put a little more money into their animation budget. I guess Nick isn't willing to give everything the same budget as Avatar.

I'm just looking forward to the figures of the Lions.

BTW, that USB drive has been around for quite a while now and you can get it for $10 cheaper directly through WEP.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I think kids will like it and that's where this show is aimed at. Not so much an anime as a western cartoon based off an anime, IMO. The toys should sell well with the right marketing push.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The animation looks brutal, like it was ripped from the 90's. Most North American cartoons look really good these days. The CG looks like it will be the highlight of this series. I'll watch the first episode and go from there, but I'm not expecting much.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
So maybe this'll open the doors for some more Robotech.

...Which is what everyone wants, right?
Spoofer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Looks ridiculously awful, IMO, especially the designs.

Like Beltane70, now that I've taken my nostalgia glasses off I could barely make it through a rewatch of Beast King GoLion as it was without praying that the end would come sooner. Though the one thing I did continue to like about it was the character and mecha designs.

As for how Voltron ended, I have no idea. Beast King GoLion ended with spoiler[Ryou Shirogane sacrificing himself to kill Prince Sincline, Emperor Daibazaal dying at the hands of GoLion, and Honerva of of the Galra Empire and Hys of Altea both getting killed as well. The main 5 GoLion members survive, as well as all of the remaining supporting characters that I can remember. Thousands of innocent Altean citizens were killed throughout the course of the show due to the idiotic actions of an early 80's children's anime program with no sense of military strategy.]
ljaesch

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
No, in the American version of the series, no one died. WEP covered up any deaths that occured in the original; usually, this meant characters went to the "hospital planet."

However, in the original series Beast King GoLion, Lotor (whose name is Sincline in the Japanese) and "Sven"'s brother (blanking on both of these Japanese names at the moment) died. In the English dub, Lotor and Sven fell into water when they fell (with a sound effect of water added in the dub to emphasize the water).

Youkai Warrior wrote:
But I have a question, if this is a sequel to the original, why are they all still alive? Didn't everybody die? What's Lotor doing there, wasn't he killed in the end? I never really saw the original, but that's what I thought I heard, that they all died. By the way, is it just me, or does Lotor look like a dark elf?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Wow, does Nick think it is still the 90's or something? Don't get me wrong, I liked parts of the 90's, but the 90's ended about twenty years ago and times have changed.

That said, the animation not only looks exceptionally dated, it also doesn't look that great to start with. I mean once the nostalgia wears off, it makes you wondering what in the world your watching or why you are watching it.

It looks the CG is going to be the strong point of the series and the CG looks decent, but nothing that I haven't seen before.

As for the USB drive, your basically paying more for a plastic toy that you can store files on. I am pretty sure you could find a 2 GB cheaper at a office supply store like Staples, Officemax, OfficeDepot or even maybe a store like Target.

You probably could find the exact USB drive cheaper elsewhere like Ebay, CraigsList or even Amazon. Maybe not, but at least Amazon occasionally offers free shipping for the entire order.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wow, does Nick think it is still the 90's or something? Don't get me wrong, I liked parts of the 90's, but the 90's ended about twenty years ago and times have changed.

It's been that long!? It only feels like 11 years, 4 months and 19 days ago... My how time flies.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't even get NickToons, so I guess it really doesn't freaking matter how much of a travesty to the classic, which got run at 5:30 AM on Adult Swim in like 2006, it will be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3