• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Shop's DC-Funded Ad: 'Buy American,' Trade Manga for DC Issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonusStage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
You know what? I would by American -- if there was an American comic WORTH OWNING. Or if you had any characters that didn't predate my grandfather. Or you got rid of the rampant misogyny (well, Japan has that problem too). In other words, you be better off spending your ad money on someone with actual ideas that don't involve superheroes.

Of course you realize that this is utterly moronic right?

-There are hundreds of American comics worth reading. (Anyone who makes such an absurd and universal generalization is just exposing their own ignorance).

-Even just looking at DC (to say nothing of all the other publishers) there are hundreds of more recent characters.

-DC's misogynistic tendencies are well documented and rightfully so. They are also, quite frankly, a drop in the bucket next to Japan.

-There are mountains of non super hero comics out there. I've demonstrated this several times in the past. Do you want the link?

But of course, I'm really just wasting my time here. You know all this already. You'd just rather spout the same old dumb ass self serving cliches instead. Hooray for wilful ignorance. Rolling Eyes

Cool job stating your holier than thou condescending opinion then running off when it's time to present any evidence, bro.

Alrighty then, throw a few titles my way. I'm looking for some ongoing romance titles or shoujo in general. Maybe a couple harem titles, or oddly set-up premise titles like Papakiki or Recorder to Randoseru. Nisemonogatari is pretty awesome to.

If comics are just as diverse, I'd love to hear some of those.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not even close Daimao Raki. It's an ad saying buy American goods. There is no hate or disdain for manga, just a company saying "try our new comics". They see a large segment of young Americans are interested in comic like books, and they are trying to get some of those customers.
Slick

Did you overlook the trade in thing? You normally only trade something if you get something better in return. So what this comic shop is saying is: "Give us your manga and we'll give you something better."

Which can easily be read as: "Your taste in comics sucks, now get something we think you should be reading "

That's not a very clever way to convince people to buy your product. Like giapet said, this ad will appeal to people who're already into the comics they're promoting. It's very unlikely they'll win many mangareaders over with this deal.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I notice the words "racist" and "racism" being thrown around, a lot. And I'm just wondering if people actually know what they mean. Are the comic shop and DC Comic's actions xenophobic? Sure. Are they nationalistic? Certainly. Are they racist? No, no they aren't.

"American" isn't a race, neither is Japanese (while it may be an ethnicity). Like Paploo said, there's been American DC comic artists of various racial/ethnic backgrounds.

Though, DC, your actions are quite silly and somewhat hypocritical.

Manga that you've been involved with:

Batman: Death Mask
Megatokyo
Shirley
Steel Fist Riku
A Tale of an Unknown Country
Gon

This article (and the recent "Manga-style comics" survey) have been the only two recent platforms for this discussion to take place. And that discussion is the implications of the questions this issue raises: are, in general, Japanese comics and animation superior to those of the West? I think Chris Beveridge, Anime On DVD creator and webmaster, substantiates the "affirmative" to that question quite thoroughly.

Let's wash the sugar off of this, and acknowledge that there's a reason why, I'd imagine, most of you don't have accounts on "American Cartoon News Network" with "My Cartoon" and "My Comic" lists. And your massive, towering collections of animation DVDs/Blu-rays/comics are, virtually, of 100% Japanese origin.

Personally, I find the artistic quality, story complexity, depth of characterizations, intelligence of writing, and even the musical scores to be, on average/in general/overall, higher in quality (or actually there) when compared to American/most Western comics/cartoons. And I'll readily admit that, by me being a Japanophile, there maaaaay be a slight bias. Just a bit.

So, no, I won't be trading in Jack Sheet. Laughing
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
For people wondering what happens to the manga:

A rep (the owner?) stated that he planned to have a used manga sale, with each going a dollar apiece. There's some other stuff about how he was just playing off the nationalism of the cover, what with the flag. Honestly, it seems believable enough.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/54088-robama-against-manga-new-dc-comics-funded-ad-4.html#post288893

BonusStage wrote:

Cool job stating your holier than thou condescending opinion then running off when it's time to present any evidence, bro.

Alrighty then, throw a few titles my way. I'm looking for some ongoing romance titles or shoujo in general. Maybe a couple harem titles, or oddly set-up premise titles like Papakiki or Recorder to Randoseru. Nisemonogatari is pretty awesome to.

You do realize the reply was to someone saying no American comic was worth owning? As if that isn't condescending or holier than thou...

Last edited by RestLessone on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Silly DC! Anyway, I won't be selling any manga.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

How is that remotely condescending? No one is saying American comics are more diverse than manga. You can't get that kind of diversity when the majority of the market wants mainly superheroes. What he is trying to make clear (and that I have also commented on) is that comics are much more diverse than ignorant manga fans give them credit for. While something like 75% of the market is superhero material there is still plenty of other stuff to be had.
skaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
So after alienating women with poor characterization of Catwoman and Starfire and then alienating minorities by canceling books such as Static Shock, DC is now alienating manga readers, whose most popular manga easily outsells their most popular superhero?

I thought the whole point of the New 52 was to reach a larger audience.
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The website, bleedingcool.com, seems to be the most quoted source of information for this new ad.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/17/robama-against-manga-dc-comics-funded-ad/

They say that DC approved the ad. I'd be curious as to whether or not they did. Given that DC is footing 75% of the bill for the advert and they no longer delve into the manga community - to my knowledge at least - I don't see why they wouldn't approve it. It's merely the case of one company slamming another company's products for their benefit. Nothing fancy though, in my opinion, not an intelligent move.
skaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

American comics may not have the variety you're looking for, but there are still lots of great books to read (some of them don't even feature superheroes). Failing that, I would look for some good webcomics, many of which I believe are created by Americans.

Here are some great non-superhero books off the top of my head:

* Blankets
* Fables
* Y: The Last Man
* Walking Dead
* Strangers in Paradise
* Usagi Yojimbo
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
So after alienating women with poor characterization of Catwoman and Starfire and then alienating minorities by canceling books such as Static Shock, DC is now alienating manga readers, whose most popular manga easily outsells their most popular superhero?

I thought the whole point of the New 52 was to reach a larger audience.

Well to be fair, Static Shock is selling terribly.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Okay US comic sales are measured in 2 ways bookscan which tracks comic sales from book stores both physical and internet so Amazon and Barnes and Noble are both counted and "direct sales" to independant comic shops by Diamond Comics Distributors.

2011's direct sales are below

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36375

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36385

Yep US sales are not good with DC falling far behind Marvel (I guess having 3 good movies out beats having 1 mediocre one).

Last edited by Ushio on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Robama? I don't see how anyone can take this seriously enough to be offended but the internet proves me wrong again Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. I'd be more offended if there was some actual racist content to it but it's so silly that it's hard for me to take it seriously.
skaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:

Agreed, but it also begs the question why the book did so poorly. Was it a great book that failed to find its audience (during a month when all DC books saw a substantial increase in sales), or was it a book that didn't have the support of the publisher (i.e., they didn't put their best people on the title)?
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Okay US comic sales are measured in 2 ways bookscan which tracks comic sales from book stores both physical and internet so Amazon and Barnes and Noble are both counted and "direct sales" to independant comic shops by Diamond Comics Distributors.

2011's direct sales are below

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36375

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36385

Yep US sales are not good with DC falling far behind Marvel (I guess having 3 good movies out beats having 1 mediocre one).

Actually based on those results the american comic industry is doing much better than the american manga industry
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

Agreed, but it also begs the question why the book did so poorly. Was it a great book that failed to find its audience (during a month when all DC books saw a substantial increase in sales), or was it a book that didn't have the support of the publisher (i.e., they didn't put their best people on the title)?

Lesser known characters always have a harder time finding an audience. Didn't help any that the creative team was subpar
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9