• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Far too many jerkbags around these days with something to prove. I mean think about it, its rather petty to take something away that gives joy to so many people - gaming, anime etc - it doesn't really do any harm.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hehaho1830 wrote:
Soooo, Why Crunchyroll?

It appears that these attackers are targeting anyone that is supporting the PSN and XBL. Crunchyroll has released an app for their service on both platforms. That was probably a trigger.

On a side note, Kotaku just posted a very informative article on how a DDOS Attack works. It's a very good read.
animefan1254

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Good to know these people are so over joyed and busy in life that they have time to attack online gaming and streaming services. *Sarcasm intended*
manga_university

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Poor CR, first their store was down for Black Friday and beyond and now this...

Actually, the Crunchyroll Store went down a few days after Black Friday, not during the Black Friday sales weekend itself.

But yeah, it's sad when stuff like this happens, especially when it affects anime fans who are paying for content and supporting the creators.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
Hehaho1830 wrote:
Soooo, Why Crunchyroll?

It appears that these attackers are targeting anyone that is supporting the PSN and XBL. Crunchyroll has released an app for their service on both platforms. That was probably a trigger.

On a side note, Kotaku just posted a very informative article on how a DDOS Attack works. It's a very good read.

So as far as I can tell, a DDoS attack is used to flood the servers with garbage traffic? Which means my payment info shouldn't be at risk, right?
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
shterraarson wrote:
We should unleash the full wrath of Otaku fury on these jackasses.
Indeed, this action must be met with swift justice and the utmost ferocity. It is time to "Cry HAVOC, and let slip the Dogs of War!" Evil or Very Mad
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
So as far as I can tell, a DDoS attack is used to flood the servers with garbage traffic? Which means my payment info shouldn't be at risk, right?

Correct! A DDOS attack is nothing but creating artificial traffic to overload the servers. It's not like a real hacker (cracker) cracking the security and retrieving private data.

Last edited by joelgundam00 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
chimibot89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
Hehaho1830 wrote:
Soooo, Why Crunchyroll?

So wouldn't by that logic mean that their next targets would be Netflix and YouTube/Google? Since they both are the same as CR in that they have apps on the consoles?
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

They said nothing to link any attacks on ANN to "Lizard Squad".

Well it ain't a coincidence that there were DDOS attempt on ANN around the same time CR, PSN, and Xbox Live are facing it. So I think it's the same group of hackers.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
chimibot89 wrote:
So wouldn't by that logic mean the their next targets would be Netflix and YouTube/Google? Since they both are the same as CR in that they have apps on the consoles?

They already have, but Google and Netflix have a major defense plans in place to prevent such things from happening. In other words, you're not going to notice much.
Cy-bot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Not cool! Lizard Squad sucks!
Ganbatte Crunchyroll!!
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:

They already have, but Google and Netflix have a major defense plans in place to prevent such things from happening. In other words, you're not going to notice much.

They better not target Dramafever (they don't have any app on PS3 or Xbox), and Viki (Viki has their own Xbox app). Because you don't want to piss off K-pop/Hallyu fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Ah, so that must be why I get a "We're checking your browser for DDOS protection" bounce/redirect when I visit ANN. I was wondering.

I've also seen that same screen pop up lately at Sankaku Complex, so perhaps they have a hit-list of anime related sites.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

mdo7 wrote:

Well it ain't a coincidence that there were DDOS attempt on ANN around the same time CR, PSN, and Xbox Live are facing it. So I think it's the same group of hackers.

Copycat crimes are common. Any finger pointing is conjecture until more information is available.
Aquasakura

Kougeru wrote:

Despite being legit now, they still do a lot of things that upset people and I personally have a grudge against them so I'll admit I laughed when I read this. If anyone deserves it that has had it this month, it's CR. Also they never got punished for being illegal but rather rewarded which i still find hilarious.

I don't know what Crunchyroll did that deserved for them to get punish (Besides at the time illegally streaming anime, but then again it's thanks to this reason that they became an official streaming site where people can watch anime, drama, and webshows legally either for free or a cheap paid subscription), but as bored and lazy and strawberry-kun implied even if they did deserve it to have it affect the many people who use the site is terrible, and should not have happen even if Crunchyroll had it common to them. If it's a matter of punishing someone it should be done in a way that it would only affect the person/people responsible for the act. It should not be done in a way that it would affect the individual/group plus innocent people.

mdo7 wrote:

and just a little FYI: I think these same group of hackers are trying to DDOS ANN too according to Tempest.

From reading the messages from the other discussion that did explain why I kept seeing that page every time I visited ANN (something about directing to the site or something). That would also further explain why before then when I visited the site was down (and I was thinking it was due to maintenance). However I no longer seem to see that webpage before visiting ANN. Instead I am taken directly to the site as always.

But I don't get why someone, or is it a group of people, want to target ANN as well as Crunchyroll. I was thinking both websites are niche for someone like them to bother with. But from reading a couple of the responses of this topic I can idea now as to why. Either because they are both affiliated someone way to more mainstream sites, or that it doesn't matter whether a site is niche or mainstream that people like that would target them for whatever reason they have.

For me personally at the moment I don't have any series I was watching or plain to watch/catch up on at the moment on Crunchyroll, but however I was thinking about re watching Little Witch Academy because of how much I liked it. Kind of disappointing that I can't do that at the moment, but I do have other things to watch (as well as other things to do besides watching anime) so it doesn't affect me (that and I have yet to subscribe to them.) I do hope that they can bring the site back soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11