• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Questionable Anime-Original Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I enjoyed the Soul Eater ending, and after reading the manga ending, I can say they both have their good points and bad (I enjoyed the anime ending more because spoiler[it's less Freudian and Crona gets proper redemption, but Maka's new powers in the anime do annoy me]).

The worst one I've seen would be the original Blue Exorcist ending. The more I remember what happened in it, the more ridiculous it gets.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
All anime-original endings are questionable at best and horrendous at worst.
So you haven't watched "Golden Time" yet? Wink
If I were making a list of Best Endings Ever that would be my top number one. Wink
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised Akira or the original Hellsing didn't make it onto the list.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Dessa wrote:
*glances at poll results*

How can anyone possibly rank Outlaw Star up there? I mean, everyone knows that that episode "does little to further the plot, and is little more than an excuse for the characters to get naked."

You are been sarcastic, right?

I figured everyone would find it obvious that I was being sarcastic. What I'd put in quotes was a (near as I can remember) direct quote from one of the higher-ups at Toonami at the time, at their justification for not playing episode 23. Which, actually (from what I've been told, as I STILL haven't found someone to borrow the series from!), does further the plot, very importantly, as spoiler[they find out where the Galactic Leyline is, and Gene gets the Caster Shells he uses in the final battle].
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
...I don't think this deserves a mention, but the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime came to mind when I read the article. I know it doesn't follow the manga faithfully. But I just can't help but think about it since the ending was actually satisfying.

I had been wondering about Tokko's ending for ages. Thanks for pointing out about the sequel manga. I thought the ending was okay. But I never imagined the reason it ended that way was actually because of its source material.

Regarding Bokurano's ending, I think what's significant are 1. spoiler[Kana surviving] and 2. spoiler[Zearth being blown up by her brother] after the last battle. In the manga, arguably only spoiler[Machi] survived the ordeal, but in the end, she spoiler[wasn't really the Machi everyone knew]. spoiler[Zearth was also passed on to the next participants.] So it's safe to say that no one did survive in the manga. I think what the director meant by "saving" the children was something more metaphorically, like spoiler[how Kana passed on the stories about them or something]. I agree how its final episodes kind of lost its steam. I was a tad disappointed with how things turned out.

IMO, the anime original final arc of Gantz was actually pretty good. I was OK with that! It was actually pretty thrilling! But yeah, how it all came back to the train scene was disappointing. Expected so much more.

Regarding Flame of Recca, the point where the manga becomes awesome was actually just after the part where the anime left off. It's a shame. It's tone was slightly different, but the anime could have been so much more.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Where exactly did the Recca anime end? And which villain joined the good guys and got hit by a car? I loved the manga back in the day and can't imagine how that could possibly have worked with any of the villains. They were all pretty scummy as I recall.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
I'm kind of surprised Akira or the original Hellsing didn't make it onto the list.
Good mention of Hellsing, as that show spoiler[basically left the main conflict of the "fake vampire" situation unresolved].

As for my additions, I'd include Kare Kano (which didn't get a proper ending) and the Xebec version of Negima (which is worse: spoiler[changing Asuna's birthday for the sake of a final story line that the studio tells instead of a proper adaptation of the Kyoto arc; having Yue blatantly reveal her feelings for Negi and kissing him right in front of Nodoka (which is the complete opposite of their personalities in terms of how the manga handles the love triangle); or a mass Pactio that not only taints the Pactios that should have been made during the Kyoto arc, but also requires a lot of original material as the only proper Pactio abilities that appeared in the manga at the time were Asuna and Nodoka's]?
bones2039

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Yes, and Michael Bay has the right to do whatever he wants with the Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchises, too. Are fans "selfish" because they don't like those movies, too?

Yes, they certainly are. The real question is whether or not it's ok for them to be selfish. I get how fans of any property want any adaptation to be as faith to the "source" they like as possible.

For me, I love Tranformers(2007) for being the film it is. Its not perfect but it's fun and I can see just enough of the 80's cartoon/toys I still love in it I can forgive it's faults. Revenge of the Fallen is a hot mess thanks to the writers strike and both Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction are good ideas drowned in Micheal Bay explosions and camera shots lingering longer than they should on Victoria secret models.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
When I think Anime Original Endings my mind immediately goes to Soul Eater and the debacle that was it's anime ending. Some of the stuff it does it at least interesting but it's all kinda a jumbled rushed mess.

the only thing it did better than the canon manga ending was spoiler[Not keep flipflopping with Chrona and actually let the character be redeemed and be good instead of constantly jerking around with if he/she was evil or not]

not quite. if its ending was that much of a mess and a controversy , then it would be on this list. personally i prefer the original anime ending over the manga. at least in the ending it was kind to chrona and mifune unlike in the manga. the same for claymore. i would rather that ending over the last three volumes of the manga.

however what OAE should really be on this list is by far the ending for the evangelion tv series. how is that series not to mention the original anime ending for sailor moon not on this list is beyond me considering how questionable they were and how much of a controversy they created. especially in eva's case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
But the Eva TV series WAS the original ending (whether or not it was the original intended ending or not can be argued). Eva didn't have a source material, it was an original series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hee, Tokko. Besides the complete non-ending, just about the only thing I remember about it was the cheerfully over-the-top dub, especially that one police chief. "Somebody get me a ****ing tank!" Very Happy

And if Love Live doesn't win the sameface poll, I don't know what will. Every time I see a picture of it I crack up.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Please read Aku no Hana. Even if you didn't enjoy the anime, the manga in its climax is one of the most intensely engrossing pieces of fiction I've ever read in my life. It's a shame the anime wasn't given the proper opportunity to live up to its source material.

Last edited by CatSword on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The frequent "The manga was better" comments I see for many anime make me glad I don't rarely read manga.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Ano Natsu de Matteru could be on that list for it's rather non-ending ending.
Then there is Hyouka. I threw my slipper at the tele at the last few minutes of the last episode. Another slipper throwing moment was the end of Guilty Crown
Never stand near my tele when I'm watching anime. Laughing

Of those 3, only Hyouka could qualify. While both the other titles have manga, those came after and were based on the anime, not the other way around.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
Honestly, however bad the ending of the Flowers of Evil anime was, it's the least of the anime's problems.

The manga is excellent - simultaneously one of the most uncomfortable and most compelling things to read I've yet encountered. Incredibly well executed. But the anime I found almost entirely unwatchable. Biggest wasted potential I've seen in a long time.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
I though Full Metal Alchemist was an obvious pick, the first TV show ending is extremely different from the manga. Although some people might think it's different but even better I might point out that the show's tone shifts completely in it's last 20 episodes and it's very inconsistent: it's starts out as shounen manga action adventure and becomes some kind of adult horror/philosophical thinguie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6