• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: United Nations Group Urges Japan to Ban Explicit Games, Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigheart711

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Does Japan look like they're gonna ban explicit content? spoiler[no.]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the key word is "normalize" - society is reflected by its art, and art is reflected by its society. It doesn't have to become a crime to be sexploitation, so crime rate is not the whole of it. Japan signed that UN convention about women; that's why they're bound by the UN reports.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I think the key word is "normalize"...

Yes, when enforced externally, precisely the sort of Orwellian social process done for its own sake that we are protesting.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yes, when enforced externally, precisely the sort of Orwellian social process done for its own sake that we are protesting.
I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of the term "normalize". It means when a situation like sexual harrassment, molestation, and rape are so common throughout a society it is considered a normal occurance, and so not reported as a violation.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
just another case of the west trying to bully the (non white) east
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:
You're not being general are you? Wink If situations like Darfor, Zimbabwe, Somalia, Palestine and Gaza have shown us is that the UN can't bully a kitten. The UN is as much a toothless paper tiger as its predecessor, The League Of Nations.
Katane

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
hitokiriizo wrote:

Japan, China, Korea, and the Philippines are all apart of the United Nations along with other Eastern Nations so That argument isn't going to fly. This issue should be solely of the Japanese Government and they should spend more time worrying about the issues I pointed out earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
pparker wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I think you are misinterpreting the meaning of the term "normalize". It means when a situation like sexual harrassment, molestation, and rape are so common throughout a society it is considered a normal occurance, and so not reported as a violation.

Possibly. I took it as social normalization, the process by which behavior is intentionally "normalized" to arbitrary standards of conduct, eliminating any expression that falls outside those bounds. In that sense, there is an attempt to "normalize" Japan to standards set (and not even necessarily followed) externally.

Assuming I misinterpreted, then I absolutely disagree that physical sex-related crimes are being ignored in Japan to some great degree, based on my previous anecdotes concerning enforcement. The simple fact that so much attention is on this issue makes that highly unlikely, plus the anecdotal news items indicating a much more severe official and unofficial response to crimes and potential crimes than one would see in the West. Citizens taking action both in reporting and stopping crimes or apprehending perps, for instance. Another interesting anecdote is posting of guides for males in Japan on how to avoid "accidentally" being accused of sexual harassment, particularly on trains. It's pretty much a case of presumed guilty if you are accused.

Doesn't mean that all crimes get reported. No different in that aspect from other countries. I just think promoting this speculation that Japan has a much greater incidence of ignoring sex crimes due to cultural factors is rather specious as it is used to try to undermine confidence in their reported statistics. I also read that Tokyo is far safer in general than American cities, which would lend credence to the statistics.

I'm not a fan of content that could promote unhealthy attitudes towards women, or any group for that matter (no reason to place one above the other), but I'm even less a fan of arbitrarily suppressing freedom of speech for purely political reasons and without proof of actual harm being done.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'd definitely say that there is a significant degree of normalization of this stuff in Japan which is very concerning. Personally though, I'm often much more disturbed the the frequency of the non-explcit but often oddly casual mentions and references to this kind of thing. It's this general obsession with rape and often simultaneous downplaying of it's consequences that paint a concerning picture to me.

I generally just shrug off the really explicit and awful stuff though. To me, it reflects only the clearly disturbed views of a small niche group. Not any kind of majority. This is where even if hypothetically they're correct and hentai has a negative effect, I question the effectiveness of banning the explicit material whilst leaving the more subtle stuff unchecked. If anything I think it's the non-explicit stuff that reaches outside this tiny niche and perhaps induces a certain normalization in their society.

That said, I find it far more likely that these elements in anime are not responsible for this attitude but rather the other way around. It seems far more likely these elements in anime are a product of this general attitude and ultimately it almost goes without saying that I'm opposed to censorship regardless unless it is of something that inherently and directly harms others.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I've made a video summing up my views on paternalistic censorship and such - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTZxVATh2XE

Coarse language included.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I think the key word is "normalize" - society is reflected by its art, and art is reflected by its society. It doesn't have to become a crime to be sexploitation, so crime rate is not the whole of it. Japan signed that UN convention about women; that's why they're bound by the UN reports.

Single-word refutation - Unapai. Read the warning the scanlators put in the first page.

You were warned. The Japanese are equal opportunity "exploiters." When I first read it, my first thought was "Is she (Murakami Maki) REALLY a girl?!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6