• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hakojo

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

And as I started watching episode 5 tonight, with these guys talking about their dreams under the tree, I realized that there was still not a single real character in the cast, merely caricatures. That between the romantic idealization of macho brotherly camaraderie and melodramatic horror there was absolutely no room for anything close to reality.

That's actually kind of why I'm sticking with this series - the over-the-top bromance of the whole thing is just so ridiculous that it's kind of charming.

I'm also kind of curious about how many other ways they'll find to pointlessly abuse people. They seem to be doing well with the gratuitous beatings, and we've already had implied (or not so implied) rape in pretty much every episode so far...
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
So, after so many complaints about the never changing mood, I suppose it's safe to assume that everyone who complained is either satisfied with the past few episodes, or have already dropped the series.

I'm currently at episode 11, and I must admit that either I've become used to the heavy use of drama, or the series have really improved on that aspect.
Lately I've been having problems with my focus. But as I started episode 9, 10, and 11 that problem didn't surface.
It felt really good to watch them finally getting a share of happiness, spoiler[even if it didn't last really long (otherwise how would the series run the rest of its 26 episodes).
It was enjoyable to see it focusing on boxing, though the thought of that not lasting long didn't leave my head (after all the bones of Mario's right hand were crushed).]

Also, how stupid can that jailer get? spoiler[I thought for sure he would ask for forgiveness, but no. Argh, he could just die already (or at least confess his crimes and take down doctor pedophile alongside).]
As for Bro, I'd say he's way too forgiving. spoiler[During the scene he had the gun, I was just thinking "shoot him and run, shoot him and run", while aware of the upcoming police seizure. That scene was rather thrilling, and well worked on despite that. I'd say a cheap solution would've certainly been to simply shoot him and run, but I never expected to see Bro doing what he did.] This scene is indeed on par with the bus scene in the beginning of the series.
I'd say in a really dark place like this kindness shines at its brightest. Really interesting series, and glad I stuck with it until now. Also hoping its centering on boxing won't decline.

Loving the anime's budget.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
Well I've been enjoying this series so far but I thought it was only going to be 13 episodes long. Finding episode 13 to be a recap, I'm heavily considering dropping it. It feels like it should be reaching the end of the story now but after giving us a massive cliffhanger on episode 12 they give us this, and all I can think is "what are they possibly going to show for the next 13 episodes"? All the good, meaty chunk of the story is over - spoiler[Sakaragi is dead, they're all free of the prison, Ishihara might as well be dead anyway whether they kill him or not..] A perfect ending for me here would be if they just spoiler[left Ishihara alone since he's going to kill himself one way or another anyway and isn't really posing a threat to anyone with his past wallowing and drug abuse apart from to himself, and rather than killing Sasaki just exposed him to the world.] Then it could all be nicely wrapped up in the next episode and feel complete. The characters are as well developed as they're going to get and I just feel like any more episodes are going to make it outstay its welcome.

I genuinely have liked this series but it's going to drag for sure, and the scope of what I was interested in with the story is going to end very shortly anyway. What are they possibly going to do for the next 13 episodes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, has anyone finished this show at all? Quite a shame, imo, because I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it was on of the best shows to come out in 2010.

I've read all of the previous comments, and I completely understand everyone who felt that there was too much drama; however, I never felt the same way.

Sure, there may have a been a few moments where it was a little to much, (I'm looking at you Scam), but I really admire the series for its accuracy.

The drama never bothered me, because that was how things were Post WWII, crappy. Really crappy. I can't think of any anime series (at least not off the top of my head) that explored any of the problems that the characters faced. Or at least not in depth.

It had orphans of all kind, (biracials and Bomb victims), covered the terrible jail scene, the prostitution, the rape, the state of the economy, and more. And it approached it in a very believable fashion.

Some people mentioned that the couldn't foretell where the show was going to go after episode 13, but I believe that the remaining half of the series was by far the better half.

It accurately portrayed some of the problems that people who were jailed faced with their criminal record now painted squarely on their faces.

The characters really became something more than just husks in the second half. Here, you really get to understand them, their weaknesses and their strengths. Fortunately, they didn't overplay the boxing, something I was also worried they would do.

This show had a serious and important story to tell. I am so glad that they didn't try to turn it into some kind of silly comedy or parody or randomly try and seriously change the tone of the series. The believability was what made the story worth telling, after all.
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this series. I loved the friendship of all the boys as they struggled to fulfill their own dreams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2