• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noein (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, what can I say about it? I would say that it's one of those series that you need to watch twice so that you can better appreciate the little details of the plot as they're released. It's definitely one of those series where you find yourself mentally retracing the plot; hence the necessity of rewatching the series at least once. I liked the fact that it was at least as cerebral as the action components were showy.
naninanino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Most shows dealing with time travel get stuck with rehashing the same devices over and over again. I'd say Noein breaks the mould and is an original view of time travel scenario, not only amongst anime, but also live-action and other works. I had a good time with it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Haven't seen the show in about 2 years, but I really liked it. Bought the DVDs for it and I should go back and re-watch. They were on sale for about 20 or so bucks about a year ago. Smile

(I've heard that Manga Entertainment has a history of making bad discs though...)

omnistry wrote:
Saw a clip of it on "Track-shun". I hope someone licenses it real soon.

If you mean for the US, then it's already licensed. In fact, it was on Sci-Fi's Animonday. That's where I first saw it.

Keep in mind you're responding to a 4 year old post there. Hopefully the original poster of that has figured that out by now. Wink
poilk92

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Well, what can I say about it? I would say that it's one of those series that you need to watch twice so that you can better appreciate the little details of the plot as they're released. It's definitely one of those series where you find yourself mentally retracing the plot; hence the necessity of rewatching the series at least once. I liked the fact that it was at least as cerebral as the action components were showy.

Very apt description, though I preferred the showy action to the cerebral dialog. Honestly what the show had to say could have been done with almost no dialog, it wasn't hard to follow just verbose.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
I actually realli liked it. For one, it had a very good score. Two, although the first half of the show was so-so, the second one made up for it. It features some really heat-breaking scenes, and I for one really enjoyed the plot development. I would rewatch the whole thing actually, but I still have to much things in que, so that won't happen for a while, but it is definitely worth looking at it again.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

Keep in mind you're responding to a 4 year old post there. Hopefully the original poster of that has figured that out by now. Wink

Holy schnickes... I never looked at the year. Thanks, now I feel really dumb. Embarassed
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
Thanks for this bit of necro; looks like this is what I'm picking up after Birdy. Wanted to watch it for a long time, then didn't get around to it.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Holy schnickes... I never looked at the year. Thanks, now I feel really dumb. Embarassed

lolz it was my dault for reviving this old thread. I dont like starting threads when there are older ones with the same agenda already laid out.
I decided to post a little summary of this series nonetheless because something about this series truly captivated me.
I was satisfied with this series very much. Usuly i dont even bother posting about a seires anymore, but when i like something extensively, i do:D
if anyone has not seen Noein and needs something to watch, > go knock yourself out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
Woah, guys, does the boy get better after a while? Otherwise all of his issues are going to make this difficult to watch.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
You mean Yu? Yeah. It takes a while, but he does get better. Yu's a lot like me (at least when I was that age), so his attitude didn't bother me so much since I understood where he was coming from.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
You mean Yu? Yeah. It takes a while, but he does get better. Yu's a lot like me (at least when I was that age), so his attitude didn't bother me so much since I understood where he was coming from.

spoiler[I felt sad for the Noein dude. Its so sad. What happens if the dragon torch dies later on where little Yu lives? Wouldn't that be the same thing Noein went through and repeat the cycle? The point of the ending was that the future is unpredictable, but that makes it even more the reason that something bad might happen yet again.
I dunno, to me, this one is a sad story, with fake happiness being meshed in.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Darc_knight,

spoiler[Out of all the Yu-individuals, only one makes the choice that led to it becoming Noein. Karasu also lost his Haruka, yet he did not choose to take Noein's path. And Yu himself rejected Noein entirely, saying that Noein was no longer connected with Yu at all. It was this rejection that ultimately destroyed Noein. So it would be strange if Yu later turned into the very thing he rejected so completely.

I'm not sure if Haruka *must* die young in Yu's future. I hope not. If there are all these potential futures, then surely there are some where Haruka lives to a ripe old age. I'd like to think so, anyway.]
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
@Tuor_of_Gondolin

spoiler[I still think its sprinkled joy. IN little Yu's future Haruka's death is still a possibility. Death is inevitable. This could lead to all sorts of chnages for yu.
Yu's current life is all about Haruka. I mean he cannot do anything without her existence.
Since he did reject Noein altogether, he probably is not going to turn so negative and ill mannered, but this does not take away other posiibilties. I mean defeating Noein removes one negative future, but other negatives may remain. Also, Yu could end up commiting sucide if she dies.
Its werid. Noein is the negative version of Yu, so now he probably lost his emotion of feeling bad.
He probably wont ever feel bad.
There was a future where Haruka died and Yu visits her grave from time to time, and he was looking fine. But inside he was not. ANd because of the dragon torch he was able to fix that dimensions Yu and his friends' lives.
But it still doesn't make sense. Just by that little occurence that dimension is going to be perfectly smooth now?
I mean weren't there a million other dimensions going through the same problems?
It seems the story was not resolved. I think the quantum physics was too much for the mangaka him/herself.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Are you saying that if you knew spoiler[you or someone you love might be extremely likely to die in a car crash, because you saw a vision where it happened to another you, you wouldn't be paranoid about it, to a certain degree, and take some preventative measures like taking care of your vehicle, buying a Humvee or other vehicle that's been crash-tested and rated highly, making sure everyone wears their seat-belts all the time, regularly checking the airbags, not letting the person who was driving at the time ever drive you anywhere? I know I would.] Why sit back and let that SOB, destiny, decide things when you can change it, yourself.

The point of the series, and parallel universe theory, is that there's infinite dimensions with infinite possibilities, all going in infinite directions. in a nutshell it's best described by the infamous bumper sticker philosophy, "Shit happens". Sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's good, but life is always unpredictable, because the future is full of possibilities.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
That's right, Kruszer. And Noein was trying to first narrow all futures into two choices, and then into one, and finally into none at all. He became so self-absorbed due to the trauma he suffered that he forgot about what Haruka actually was like -- he forgot his relationship with her and only remembered the fact that she was gone and he felt horrible and angry as a result. He no longer remembered *her*, which is something Haruka says to Noein.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3