• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:53 pm Reply with quote
nl_TvdL wrote:

So if these shows don’t make it, the reviewer will stop writing about them with two or three episodes left? That would be really weird, just like adding them to the fall lineup is.

It's not really that cut-and-dry. The poll also helps me gauge overall reader interest in certain properties that I take into consideration for other editorial purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheFlowerBlooms

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Shame The Apothecary Diaries still hasn't aired yet...it is my most hyped show and would love to see reviews for it. Hopefully it gets covered!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:47 pm Reply with quote
What's the general (non-spoiler-y) idea behind The Apothecary Diaries, and what has people excited about it?
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:12 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
What's the general (non-spoiler-y) idea behind The Apothecary Diaries, and what has people excited about it?

Here’s what I wrote about it in an older thread:
Quote:
So many light novel authors have good (even great) ideas but are somewhat lacking in writing skills. For example, I adore Bookworm—purchased and read ALL the novels—but the books are littered with instances where the dialog is followed by a completely redundant paragraph that paraphrases that dialog. That’s just not good writing.

Apothecary Diaries is just a solidly written series, full of witty dialog, excellent plotting and vividly depicted characters. Plus, it’s got a great sense of humor.

The world building is really good. She works (was kidnapped and sold) in the rear palace—where the consorts live—but the Head Eunuch sees how smart and exceptional she is and makes her the poison tester (she has an unhealthy love/obsession with poisons—one of the things that make her such a great character) for the Emperor’s favorite consort. Intrigue ensues.

It has some mystery-solving elements like Raven of the Inner Palace (though not supernatural). And, somewhat against her will, Maomao starts to thrive. She’s kind of a reluctant hero. But the story is very well grounded. I really can’t recommend it enough.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:16 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

It's about a young woman name MaoMao, who was raised by an apothecary adoptive father in the brothel district of the capital city of a Chinese Imperial-influenced nation. (She regards some prominent Oiran as big sisters.) She's kidnapped and sold into the Imperial Court Harem as a servant, where she tries to keep a low profile. However, she's good with medicine, innately curious, and a detective by nature, so she can't help being drawn in to various harem intrigues and getting to the sometimes-ugly truths behind them. (For instance, one early mystery involves spoiler[deaths and illnesses resulting from women in the harem unknowingly using toxic makeup products.]). The mystery aspect is solid, the scenery should be spectacular, it will be peppered with light humor, and MaoMao's something of a lovable freak; she gleefully tests poisons on herself, for instance, which sets up a signature advertising clip showing her announcing to a dinner party with a broad smile that a dish she's just poison-tested for one of the courtesans is, in fact, poisoned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I noticed After School Hanako-kun isn’t in the polls. Are shorts not eligible for daily streaming reviews?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I noticed After School Hanako-kun isn’t in the polls. Are shorts not eligible for daily streaming reviews?

Typically, no. While we'll sometimes do a shorts round-up at the end of Preview Guide if enough of them get licensed, but it's rare for a short series to offer enough to talk about week-to-week. After-School Hanako is also set to be just 4 episodes, so it would probably just be covered in a single review anyway.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I just gotta ask.
Why does everyone use "conceit" instead of "concept"? Is it an American thing to say that? I get that there can be a slight difference in meaning between them sometimes, but for me as an Australian who has never seen anyone use conceit for this meaning prior to reading ANN (and who never sees it used outside of ANN), it's kinda weird.
Sorry this is somewhat off topic but I just can only look at it from a cultural perspective. When I asked an American friend they said they hadn't heard it but maybe it's regional? Or is it a word journalists are told to use?

Not complaining or critiquing or anything, just always been curious as to why this is a go to word and my curiosity has finally overflowed.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:32 pm Reply with quote
The reviews told me enough about Stardust Telepath to give it a try, but I rate it considerably higher than any of the reviewers.

Or maybe I was just going into lack of CGDCT/SOL withdrawal? Wink
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:

It's about a young woman name MaoMao [ . . .]

See, this is why Theron gets paid to write, and I don’t Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
That was a much better synopsis, thanks for the assist!
Anne F

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Anne F wrote:

Paradox Live isn't a game. A mobile game was announced for it a while ago, but that's all we know on that. Most of the story is on drama tracks that are on CDs and spotify and there's also an ongoing manga.

My mistake; I thought the game was out already. It feels like it would make a good one.

It's no biggie! Just wanted to clear that up. <3 Considering its dark story, I think it would make for a very interesting game so I'm looking forward to seeing what kind they'll make! Though I won't be surprised if it ends up being your typical rhythm game. lol
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Okay, I just gotta ask.
Why does everyone use "conceit" instead of "concept"? Is it an American thing to say that? I get that there can be a slight difference in meaning between them sometimes, but for me as an Australian who has never seen anyone use conceit for this meaning prior to reading ANN (and who never sees it used outside of ANN), it's kinda weird.
Sorry this is somewhat off topic but I just can only look at it from a cultural perspective. When I asked an American friend they said they hadn't heard it but maybe it's regional? Or is it a word journalists are told to use?

Not complaining or critiquing or anything, just always been curious as to why this is a go to word and my curiosity has finally overflowed.

I'm a Canadian but I feel entitled to answer on behalf of all North Americans. Heh. Concept or premise tends to be used more often than conceit but the three are somewhat interchangeable terms. I would argue that there is somewhat of a nuance when using the word conceit ... it's almost a bit pejorative. In other words, if you say, "The conceit behind Superman's anonymity is that he merely has to put on a suit and a pair of glasses and suddenly he is magically unrecognizable as Clark Kent..." you are in a sense raising your eyebrows a bit in mild disapproval. If you feel absolutely neutral, you are probably more like to use concept or premise.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
harminia wrote:
Okay, I just gotta ask.

I'm a Canadian but I feel entitled to answer on behalf of all North Americans. Heh. Concept or premise tends to be used more often than conceit but the three are somewhat interchangeable terms. I would argue that there is somewhat of a nuance when using the word conceit ... it's almost a bit pejorative. In other words, if you say, "The central conceit of Superman is that he comes from another planet which gives him powers on Earth..." you are in a sense raising your eyebrows a bit in mild disapproval. If you feel absolutely neutral, you are probably more like to use concept or premise.

I agree, but will go further; its most common use is as a pejorative. Conceit, referring to a person, usually means overly impressed with themselves or their work; conceited, in particular, is a strong way of saying vain.

( Just checked and the dictionary says it can also mean an opinion, often favorable, or a witty expression or fanciful idea. I had never heard those until now. Embarassed )

In writing, for example, I can say it is a currently common conceit that a story having a main character be reincarnated into a game or novel they know well is enough to make that story a sure fire hit. And that conceit of creators is responsible for the deluge of those stories. And so I am sick of their conceit.

Hope I didn't beat my take to death with a club there. Wink

Last edited by Nom De Plume De Fanboy on Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@ Nom De Plume... it's a pity you quoted an earlier incarnation of my Superman example because, all conceit aside, I believe the final version is much better. Wink
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Nom De Plume... it's a pity you quoted an earlier incarnation of my Superman example because, all conceit aside, I believe the final version is much better. Wink

Sorry. You're right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21