• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim, Cartoon Network's Viewership Falls Over 25% in 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
According to their official Facebook page they should be premiering a new show every week "for the next month or so" after AssClass season 2, so I hope that gets more positive coverage on ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Dynamo- wrote:
They don’t even have anime on it in Canada.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I was quite surprised when I first heard from American friends that anime aired on there.

Streaming, despite all its problems and there are many, is a lot more flexible than cable.
RoninX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I blame the many years of continuous TTGO coverage 24/7.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Shit, what the hell do they expect with a 1001 different streaming services?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I know ratings are important and all, but I could really do without the extra stress.

Unless you work for CN or your job is related to their ratings, how could this possibly stress you out?

The last time I watched CN was pre-pandemic and that was generally just for Family Guy re-runs. I have Hulu, Prime, Netflix and Disney+. There's no shortage of things to watch.

CN is likely going to have to rebrand itself, possibly by attaching to some of the larger streaming services. I might be more inclined to watch their catalog if Netflix suggests it lol
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
It's been a week since Assassination Classroom season 2 was announced to be coming to the block, and we're less than 24 hours away from it premiering, and this takes precedence over an article for that? I mean, I know ratings are important and all, but I could really do without the extra stress.

We had not caught this news, but we put an article up here (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-01-08/toonami-debuts-new-show-every-week-for-next-month-or-so-starting-with-assassination-classroom-/.181352) after reading this comment. Thanks so much for pointing this out!
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:
Despite the doom/fearmongering, (AS) toonami has some life left in it still... surprisingly given the management.

Beatdigga wrote:

Linear television, unless it's sports or other live events, has dropped dramatically over the past decade. People like watching stuff on their own time, without network Standards and Practices editing things. Linear television with all its myriad of logistic restrictions is at a disadvantage.

And the alt is any better/not worse?! "Because I hate paying for stuff I don't watch on cable so much that I decided to start paying a whole bunch of companies even more to do the very same instead!" - current year logic

Your money still goes a lot further with streaming, in addition to being able to watch things when you want without having to worry about recording them, and without those damnable commercials.

I'm sick and bedridden, and so watch a lot of TV, and pay for Crunchyroll, Funimation, HBO Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney Plus. I still pay less than everyone I know that has a cable package they offers anything close.

Is it perfect? Hell no. But it is still objectively way, way better than Cable/Satellite/etc, something which was just demonstrated to me again while visiting family over christmas, who still have Cable+DVR. Plus, I'm finally free from being forced to subsidize those damned sports channels (which I hate) through those non-optional "local franchise" fees they force on you.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:23 am Reply with quote
It's a shame to see such low ratings, but I know that's just the way it is with cable versus streaming. That said, I still watch Toonami every Saturday, usually the entire block. Although haven't watched a full block in awhile, since it's been rather boring with the constant Blade Runner: Black Lotus marathons and the like. That should be changing soon enough with their previous announcement about adding in new shows over the next month or so.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:55 am Reply with quote
in a world where streaming is on the rise I'm not surprised
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:06 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Shit, what the hell do they expect with a 1001 different streaming services?

And yet only like a few are free that are legit. So which means you’re having to pay for each 1 of those other services that isn’t free which all adds up to being no different than Cable. Considering all that you get on Cable, it may actually be considered cheaper for having a 1,000+ channels to choose from(not 1,000+ channels of Anime of course). Though people still despicable things like pirating Anime as well.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
RoninX wrote:
I blame the many years of continuous TTGO coverage 24/7.

Teen Titans Go doesn’t really air as much anymore because of Cartoonito. Like now it’s only like a couple of hours a day or so. But Toonami has nothing to do with Teen Titans Go unless you’re saying people were boycotting the entire channel over a single show including Adult Swim stuff like Toonami which has nothing to do with it.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:44 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Well there goes any hope I had of Fena getting a second season (Yeah, I actually liked it)

While I don't think they'll be a second season they could still fund it through the Crunchyroll SC Anime Fund.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
I get Adult Swim Canada but not Cartoon Network Canada. I watch Adult Swim when there's new episodes of cartoons (or Joe Pera Talks With You) that I watch. No anime on Adult Swim Canada but we do get Archer and it still shows Family Guy reruns, unlike Adult Swim U.S. but, if I'm in the mood for overnight reruns, I usually watch old episodes of South Park on Much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:49 am Reply with quote
I think Toonami still plays an important role especially for communities where maybe they don't have higher Internet speeds or lower income families that can't afford a ton of streaming apps and I think they help raise awareness for a lot of shows. I think of when they aired Pop Team Epic and how much that exploded into popularity after they aired it and I appreciate them for being the last bastion of anime on a mainstream cable network in the US. But in all honesty, even before streaming became a thing, I already moved on from watching Toonami regularly to buying anime DVD boxsets and reading manga and now I pretty much watch everything streaming or on physical media. In addition to having more flexibility over when I can watch something, I've always been frustrated by the lack of variety on Toonami.

Like everything they air nowadays is long running shonen and occasionally they'll get something like Gundam or the Gridman anime. I think Pop Team Epic and Food Wars was the most varied show they've aired recently and Food Wars is still shonen. I still enjoy shonen but I also like shojo, slice of life, dramas, and comedies and other types of anime. Even back in the heyday Toonami never really aired any other shojo anime besides Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors. I know they tried to get Magic Knight Rayearth on the block at some point but it seems like after that failed they never tried to get shojo anime again. And not counting shonen stuff, it seems like the only fantasy anime they ever air is like Sword Art Online? There's also the added frustration where you don't know if Toonami will ever get the second season of a show like with Mob Psycho and now Demon Slayer apparently so you end up having to watch it on streaming anyway.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:27 am Reply with quote
I've cut my cable over a year ago after my monthly bill snowballed over $200.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4