• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Puella Magi Madoka Magica Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
I've heard good things about this show, so way to go Crunchyroll. I'll probably check it out one of these days.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
I wish they'd stream the dubbed version as well as the sub. It's hard to take my blu-rays on the go or watch them on a portable device. The iPad doesn't sport a blu-ray drive, and ripping and transcoding isn't strictly legal, and not worth it time-wise for me.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that anime fans are not coughing up the cash for the LEs for the dub alone.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
potatochobit wrote:
I don't see why they are doing this so close to the DVD release....

It's to advertise the DVDs.

Anyways, I was shocked when I saw this. It does make for good advertising though and if there are already fansubs on the internet, then why not?

I'm one of those people with the often ridiculed, self exacted standards who refuses to watch anything illegally. So yay for this.

Now I get to try it out before spending the $$$.
jree78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

I think it's a foregone conclusion that anime fans are not coughing up the cash for the LEs for the dub alone.

They sold out the limited edition on Rightstuf already I was gonna buy it on Friday but I guess I'll buy the blu ray only copy.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Yeah, the alterations being you were completely wrong about the series and made yourself [censored]. I can see why you didn't elaborate on.... blah blah blahhhhh.

Oh, boy. You just never learn, do you? I made myself look like a "fool" because I had a dissented opinion (which I'm in considerable company with) about a cartoon that people obsess over? Right.

Let me clear on the alterations, then. It isn't a "fluffy, magical girl, My Little Pony, "fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight" series. But the emotive strength that you, any many others, stated you received from it was not experienced by me. At all. It got boring, and I didn't really CARE who died next.

Also, it's exceptionally rich having my sanity or competence insulted by you, of all people on this site. Laughing x a million.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

They sold out the limited edition on Rightstuf already I was gonna buy it on Friday but I guess I'll buy the blu ray only copy.
Alright, then I'll replace "LE" with "Physical Copy" Wink

I still wish they'd stream the dub. I hope that Aniplex doesn't consider the dub to be worthy of being a draw for buying a physical copy, as from what I've heard, it wasn't even close. I hope that the one-time live stream of the dub was entirely about hyping the show and not in any way about hyping the dub as this dub is, so far, leaving much to be desired (IMO). I'm just about the biggest dub fan to ever set virtual "foot" on the Internet, so I'll see the dub through, and support that there is a dub, even if it does turn out to (IMO) suck.

I'd prefer to support the dub in a way that is convenient to me, and having Crunchy stream it would be damn convenient. Very Happy
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Oh, boy. You just never learn, do you? I made myself look like a "fool" because I had a dissented opinion (which I'm in considerable company with) about a cartoon that people obsess over? Right.

Let me clear on the alterations, then. It isn't a "fluffy, magical girl, My Little Pony, "fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight" series. But the emotive strength that you, any many others, stated you received from it was not experienced by me. At all. It got boring, and I didn't really CARE who died next.

Also, it's exceptionally rich having my sanity or competence insulted by you, of all people on this site. Laughing x a million.

If you HATE!! magical girl shows then you still might not like this one. personally I almost dropped this show over the agnst with someone and if they could or could not be with someone. however I LOVED episode 9 (I think it was 9) when a main character gets a major addition to their back story. which made me take all the hype with a grain of salt, and look back on it as an amazing ending to an interesting story.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I wish they'd stream the dubbed version as well as the sub. It's hard to take my blu-rays on the go or watch them on a portable device. The iPad doesn't sport a blu-ray drive, and ripping and transcoding isn't strictly legal, and not worth it time-wise for me.

I wish someone would stream the dub version too...except if no one actually streams it, the chances of it following in Durarara!!'s footsteps and being shown on Adult Swim are that much better.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:20 am Reply with quote
Yea, another show to enjoy on CR. Guess that ad-free membership will start paying dividends once again. Double yea: those Rightstuf pre-ordered LE sets will remain unmolested (aka unopened) in the closet....just another reason to give my lovely wife 2nd thoughts about why she married me. -_^
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why Crunchyroll couldn't do this 57 weeks or so ago I have no idea.

Because the original rights owner did not accept Crunchyroll's bid for streaming rights.

And as several have noted, why they are doing it now is that the company that holds the R1 rights decided it would be good advertising for their release to let Crunchyroll sublicense it, and advertising that would also yield it some money.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
And so North America and Japan remain the only places where you can legally watch this show... I hope someone decides to pick it up over here, although I don't really see that happening.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of in a bind about this. I do want to see the series, but since it looks like, from what I've heard, that it'll be a really good series, I want to watch it on my TV, not on my computer screen. Yet, at the same time, I am not going to pay what Aniplex is asking: $120 to own a 13-episode series is way too much for me.

Now, I could just wait, and that is what I am probably going to do, but I risk getting spoiled by incidental remarks no matter how carefully I try to avoid them, and it's not like I'm going to go live in a cave until a more reasonably priced version comes out.

Ah, well. I'll live with the risk of getting spoiled rather than the certainty of paying too much... or seeing it for the first time in a non-ideal manner. I'm glad Crunchyroll got this and hope it helps their bottom line.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I'm kind of in a bind about this. I do want to see the series, but since it looks like, from what I've heard, that it'll be a really good series, I want to watch it on my TV, not on my computer screen. Yet, at the same time, I am not going to pay what Aniplex is asking: $120 to own a 13-episode series is way too much for me.

You could always invest $50 in a Roku LT. Smile
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
Good news...this is a show I missed out on during it's initial air period, but since people have said so many good things about it, I decided to take a chance on it with a blind buy...something I rarely do. $120 is a steep price to pay for 12-13 episode show, but this is Aniplex, so you probably won't be seeing it for cheaper anytime soon. Their sales are usually only $10 below the retail price although for this title they have a $20 discount on the LE. Anyway, this would give those who were hesitant a chance to watch it, and perhaps, it would lead to a purchase down the line. A good strategy by Aniplex.....I still wish they would be more reasonable with their pricing though.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I hope someone decides to pick it up over here, although I don't really see that happening.

Considering it's being pimped out all over the world, it's probably just a matter of when, not if.

Let's see...
So far, here's where it's being released (there might be more that I'm forgetting)...

Japan (obviously)
US/Canada
Australia
Taiwan
Italy
Germany
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10