• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>OniiAi reviews

>No mention of Kido Ibuki's fantastic performance as a 14 year old rookie seiyuu

>gets a lower score overall than BTOOOM

They ....actually hired an innocent 14-year-old girl to work on this exploitive trash?

...I just lost ALL of the respect I had for the creators. Not that I had any in the first place.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>OniiAi reviews

>No mention of Kido Ibuki's fantastic performance as a 14 year old rookie seiyuu

They ....actually hired an innocent 14-year-old girl to work on this exploitive trash?
You don't know many 14 year olds if you're assuming that she's innocent.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>OniiAi reviews

...I just lost ALL of the respect I had for the creators. Not that I had any in the first place.

Aya Hirano was working on that kinda stuff when she was 15. You need to get into the industry young to get to the top.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
>OniiAi reviews

I don't really see a problem with this, your just BLOWING things out of hand
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="Blood-"]
RyanSaotome wrote:
I certainly don't have a disgust with shows that have cute girls. I like Key material like Angel Beats! I own, but have not watched Clannad and Clannad After Story, but I expect I'll like them. I am aware that I may not be giving LB the chance that, perhaps, ultimately it deserves. It's a funny thing - sometimes I'll stick with a show even if it's not really doing it for me and other times I just become quite decisive. LB was one of those decisive things. It's possible I will miss out on something good, but I just wasn't bonding with the show and my instinct was that it was unlikely I ever would.

Try out Air and Kanon, then you'll see if Key anime are really your thing. Angel Beats was actually one of the weaker titles, since its third act just fell apart likely from having to rush a conclusion together. I'd rate it closer to Air than Kanon or Clannad, since the anime was also rushed to the point of some arcs not giving enough time to take hold, something Kanon and Clannad do far better with their longer runtimes.

Personally, I don't care for the dudes either. I just want some delicious tragedy for the girls. I absolutely love how Key works can tear you apart emotionally, it's so refreshing. And that's my major fear with JC Staff working on this, despite the story being set in stone, can the director hit all of the right cues to make everything work in an anime? KyoAni's Ishihara certainly got that rhythm down after Air, so I would have entrusted other Key adaptations to him before anyone.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, that first Code:Breaker eppie kicked much ass. It did stray into "let's show some ridiculous amount of cruelty to cynically arouse your hatred" territory, but whatevs. spoiler[Great ending.]
opn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Crapped out of Little Busters about half way through the episode. The humour was just not landing with me nor was I finding any of the characters appealing.

Unless you have a real disgust with shows that have cute girls, you really should give Little Busters a chance. Clannads first episode wasn't great either, yet it went onto become one of the best shows (including After Story) of the last few years. Key stuff takes a couple episodes to introduce the characters since they are big casts.

I certainly don't have a disgust with shows that have cute girls. I like Key material like Angel Beats! I own, but have not watched Clannad and Clannad After Story, but I expect I'll like them. I am aware that I may not be giving LB the chance that, perhaps, ultimately it deserves. It's a funny thing - sometimes I'll stick with a show even if it's not really doing it for me and other times I just become quite decisive. LB was one of those decisive things. It's possible I will miss out on something good, but I just wasn't bonding with the show and my instinct was that it was unlikely I ever would.

If ya liked angel beats you'll like little busters but hey thats your choice.
@walw6pK4Alo You'll be waiting a bit then Razz .
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

BTOOOM! had an exceptionally well executed first episode. You would know this if you actually watched it.

They aren't criticizing the whole show, they do it based on the first episode.

I *did* actually watch it, against my better judgement. BTOOOM's first episode was atrociously bad. Calling it "exceptionally well executed" is laughable.

spoiler[Bombs exploded less than five feet from the guy's head at least three times and he was never injured in the slightest. He's apparently immortal. He's also an absolute moron. Those bombs were not complicated, after the first one exploded, he should have known exactly how they worked. But the idiot couldn't even figure out the had to press a button to activate it and then it took ANOTHER try for him to figure out it was timed! After he stared at the timer until it nearly hit zero!] He's also utterly loathsome. And seems to have amnesia for the sole purpose of withholding information about the setup from the audience.

The first episode of BTOOOM was really, really bad and for reasons completely unrelated to its rape fetish. (Since watching it, I've heard of and seen a panel of something even nastier than the scene described earlier in this thread.)
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
animehermit wrote:

BTOOOM! had an exceptionally well executed first episode. You would know this if you actually watched it.

They aren't criticizing the whole show, they do it based on the first episode.

I *did* actually watch it, against my better judgement. BTOOOM's first episode was atrociously bad. Calling it "exceptionally well executed" is laughable.

spoiler[Bombs exploded less than five feet from the guy's head at least three times and he was never injured in the slightest. He's apparently immortal. He's also an absolute moron. Those bombs were not complicated, after the first one exploded, he should have known exactly how they worked. But the idiot couldn't even figure out the had to press a button to activate it and then it took ANOTHER try for him to figure out it was timed! After he stared at the timer until it nearly hit zero!] He's also utterly loathsome. And seems to have amnesia for the sole purpose of withholding information about the setup from the audience.

The first episode of BTOOOM was really, really bad and for reasons completely unrelated to its rape fetish. (Since watching it, I've heard of and seen a panel of something even nastier than the scene described earlier in this thread.)

You seem to be confusing execution for writing. Learn the difference.

Also: OniiAi is even more terrible.
opn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Magi: Well that was really different from the manga but it didn't seem rushed or bad at all. They mixed a lot of things up but in a very nice way. This is obviously where most of aniplexs money is going too so im not surprised at the very good animation and music. Though i hate how they spoiler[made mor a damsel in distress.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

I really hate this show. First, baseball. Baseball is the greatest sport on Earth. Baseball anime? Generally sucks. Baseball parodies in anime are often quite fun, but to center a show on baseball never works out good.

I looked at your list here on ANN and saw no Cross Game, Touch, H2, Oofuri, Major, Taisho Baseball Girls, or Princess Nine. I don't think you have any say on what baseball anime is like seeing as you apparently haven't seen anything.

Melanchthon wrote:

What really is sucks is the male lead. The one thing about Key shows is that the male lead is always a real, fleshed out, interesting character. This guy? Boring, awkward pathetic dude. The same stock character from a thousand other stupid harem shows. It's only the first episode, and already I want to punch this dude in the face. I really hate him.

What makes Yuuichi a real, fleshed out, and interesting character? What makes Yukito a real, fleshed out, and interesting character? What makes Tomoya a real, fleshed out, and interesting character? Your analysis of Riki is absolutely spot on. He is a boring, awkward and pathetic dude. However, doesn't that mean that he has much room for growth? If you have no interest in seeing character growth then yes, by all means, do avoid Little Busters. A spoiler about LB compared to other Key/Maeda stuff: spoiler[Unlike all the previous games, the character who needs the most help and support in Little Busters is the protagonist].
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey I don't really belive this but I am curious what other people think.
do you think that Key gave J.C. Staff little buster with very little money and less then great director, just so people would complain about JC staff, (with the assumtion that it does not turn out well) so that in a few more years Kyonayi or someone else could do it and gain peoples confidence and more money for a good version that saved the series. (kinda like an one piece effect that funi got in the US).
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
> No mention of Kido Ibuki's fantastic performance as a 14 year old rookie seiyuu

This is quite interesting because, didn't you just mention in another post that 14-year-olds (or so) were already sexually active? Meaning some sort of maturity. But now they're meant to praise a person for being in the same age group for using their voice, which is something they've used for 14 years, opposed to a sexual organ, that by this age has only been for perhaps a couple of years at best for early starters. Sure the laws have changed since psychology appeared, but sexual age originally meant adulthood.
opn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Hey I don't really belive this but I am curious what other people think.
do you think that Key gave J.C. Staff little buster with very little money and less then great director, just so people would complain about JC staff, (with the assumtion that it does not turn out well) so that in a few more years Kyonayi or someone else could do it and gain peoples confidence and more money for a good version that saved the series. (kinda like an one piece effect that funi got in the US).

Key aren't the ones funding it. Its warner bros of japan. Key is only doing supervision of the anime.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
No, and please stop making utterly insane conspiracy theories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 55