• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[JP/HK/TW/KR] DVD/Blu-ray Release List with [EngSub] and/or [EngDub]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Amazon.co.jp is also a good bet.

I was under the impression Amazon Japan does not ship outside of the country, but if it does, this will help.

My concern is payment, since I've had issues in the past with my credit card being rejected because of international currency exchange rates. Luckily, this hasn't happened in a while, but it still lingers in my mind.

I do use Amazon.jp to see what's "out there", but never purchased from it.

And curious: how do you get the page to translate? I don't see an option.

Damn it. Just hit PlayAsia.com and the Koihime Musou blurays don't come with subtitles. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!

Anime cry
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Amazon Japan definitely ships outside the country (there are certain kinds of pay options that can only be used in Japan and maybe that's where the confusion is arising). I've ordered and received two different items from them last year with no problem. I had no problem using my credit card, as well. As for translating, if you look in the upper right hand corner of the page, you should see an In English button. At least, I do.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...you should see an In English button.

And it's in English. Embarassed

This information helps. Thank you very much.

*whips out credit card.

Time to see how much the bluray of Lucky Star is going to set me back because this series deserves my money.
Twisted Evil

UPDATE!!!
Thanks to Blood-'s info, my purchase of $316 for the complete season of Lucky Star in Bluray is now on its way.

I'm so freaking excited!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why had to ask if KM had subs or not, especially in this thread. The table in the opening lists every non-English speaking countries (US, UK, AU) releases that include some kind of English on it. KM isn't in the table, so it doesn't have subs - you didn't really have to search for it.

Also, before you make a purchase, you need to consider the shipping and weight of your purchase. At Amazon the shipping rules for just discs is 1700 + 300 for each item (not each additional item, each individual item). HMV charges by the weight. So if you're ordering a few regular edition single discs, you may want to price check between the two and make an estimate on shipping costs before deciding. I like to look up items on JSDVD Mall to get an estimate in how much something might weigh since list weights on the product page. However, if you're going to be ordering larger things, or making a big order in general, you're better off using Amazon since the shipping gets cheaper with the more you buy (by per item basis, at least).

Also, going back to JSDVD Mall for a minute, you'll want to check and see if there's a Taiwanese release of the show that also has subs since it'll be significantly cheaper. Not too many TW releases do, but it's worth checking out. I know, for example, that the Nanoha movie has subs, but the TW release is half th price for the same disc.

EDIT: I'M SO SLOW!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
EDIT: I'M SO SLOW!

You're fine. The information will be helpful on future purchases I believe will never see the light of day in our market.

While I will miss Kari's wonderful voice for Kagami, this is one of my favorite series, so shipping/price isn't a big factor for me. If I want it, that need is insatiable (and generally uncontrollable).

My only "fear" will be the English subtitle is... ew. I'm hoping I'm not going to read "Kagami tsundere. She like cookie.", but I'm not getting this impression.

What truly burns me up is our own damn industry can't seem to subtitle in English correctly, translation issues omitted. Spelling and grammar mistakes are detestable to me. This industry should be ashamed of itself for subtitling "Kagam tsun-dere. She like kukki".

If I see one more "onsen" in my English translations, rather than "bath", I'm writing the nastiest emails I've ever written.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Re: subtitle quality - as I've mentioned I've only ordered two Japanese imports that came with subs: Time of Eve and Shinkai's Children Who Chase Voices From Deep Below (Or Whatever), but in both cases the subtitle translation quality was excellent.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
The dub is on the BD set. It's the subtitles that aren't on there, so you'll get to hear Kari's Kagamii.

Again, though, if it's a BD release that comes after an NA release, then it's going to use the same subs and dubs from the R1 release. I don't think there's ever been a case where JP company made a new dub/sub while there were already existing ones. However, even in those cases where the JP BD has subtitles before an R1 release (like, say, Hoshi o Ou Kodomo) the chances are they used a really good professional like Sam Pinansky. There's not a lot of broken English on BDs coming out of Japan, at least not worse than the errors you see on our releases, though I think I heard the subs for Horizon are a little spotty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
RE: Sub quality. the only JP BD I own is the one for the Nanoha Movie BD and I found the subs to be of good quality. Nothing terrible and they were easy to read as well.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
The dub is on the BD set. It's the subtitles that aren't on there, so you'll get to hear Kari's Kagamii.

*looks at list.

Well, aren't I stupid. I was misreading the columns. This just really, really, really made my day better. Worth. Every. Damn. Cent.
Very Happy

The rest of the information, and the feedback from actual buyers, is tremendously helpful. Thanks, everyone.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Also, before you make a purchase, you need to consider the shipping and weight of your purchase. At Amazon the shipping rules for just discs is 1700 + 300 for each item (not each additional item, each individual item). HMV charges by the weight. So if you're ordering a few regular edition single discs, you may want to price check between the two and make an estimate on shipping costs before deciding.

I can safely say that two blu-rays shipped via EMS will cost no more than 1680 yen. That's pretty cheap for international express mail/

Quote:

However, if you're going to be ordering larger things, or making a big order in general, you're better off using Amazon since the shipping gets cheaper with the more you buy (by per item basis, at least).

I was thinking about this yesterday. At what point does Amazon shipping actually become more expensive than shipping by weight?

Say, for example, you order 20 non-book items in one order. The shipping cost from Amazon will be 7700 yen. Looking at the EMS shipping chart to North America, 7700 yen falls in between the rates for 7500 yen and 8200 yen. For simplicity sake, let's go with 7500 yen. That price will cover up 4.5kg which is about 10lbs.

That's pretty damn heavy. At that point, what's the likely hood that 20 BDs and/or CDs will weight 10 lbs with sturdy box?

When Amazon use to partial ship like it was going out of style...the shipping cost was great since each shipping was cheap per shipment. I would say that convenience outweighs waiting for all items at the end of the month depending on what you ordered if you are the type of person who wants stuff as they are released.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's pretty damn heavy. At that point, what's the likely hood that 20 BDs and/or CDs will weight 10 lbs with sturdy box?

Well, if an average regular edition of a BD weighs around 140g, then it'd take approximately 32 to make 4.5kg. If you factor in the size of the box, then it's probably more like 30 discs, but that's still 50% more price efficient. So yea, it's definitely better to use HMV for the small stuff that's easy to estimate the weight of, but I think it's definitely cheaper to use Amazon for big things like box sets since those can be heavy and vary in weight.

I don't have a scale on me, nor am I very good at guessing light weights, but my Haruhi Suzumiya BD box has eight discs in three cases (with flappers), secured in a good, strong chipboard box plus some inserts, and if I had to guess how much it weighed I'd say it's about 2lbs, or .9kg. Using EMS rates that comes out to 220 yen savings in Amazon's favor. Three dollars isn't a huge difference, but if you're getting the Haruhi box plus, say, the Lucky Star box, the LS box is only going to cost you another 300 yen for a total of 2300 vs the ~3680 it'd cost from HMV (I don't know how much the LS box weighs, so I just doubled the weight), and then the savings really start to show.

And this thinking should also be applied to LEs for shows. You say two RE BDs cost 1680 to ship. Well, my AnoNatsu volume 1 LE BD cost that much to ship because it's three discs, two booklets, a few leaflet-things all in two digipak cases and a poster, and that's nothing too unusual for a single LE from Japan. I you're going to be ordering several of those at once, Amazon is definitely your best bet.

All of this is, of course, not even factoring in that Amazon is also just outright cheaper than HMV. And it's still an Amazon site, so it's bound to have random discounts, which is where that preorder price guarantee comes in handy (or WTK with his mad wizard skills finding all the discounted items).
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
So yea, it's definitely better to use HMV for the small stuff that's easy to estimate the weight of, but I think it's definitely cheaper to use Amazon for big things like box sets since those can be heavy and vary in weight.

Oh, yea, Amazon is the way to go with heavy stuff. I would never want to order the Saki BD boxset from a place that only ships via EMS considering how heavy that sucker is going to be since it has a full mah-jong set.

Same with the example you gave of two boxsets. That and generally Amazon will have the cheapest price so that works in your favor.

Quote:

And this thinking should also be applied to LEs for shows. You say two RE BDs cost 1680 to ship. Well, my AnoNatsu volume 1 LE BD cost that much to ship because it's three discs, two booklets, a few leaflet-things all in two digipak cases and a poster, and that's nothing too unusual for a single LE from Japan. I you're going to be ordering several of those at once, Amazon is definitely your best bet.

It all depends on the limited edition since not all of them are that extravagant. I do know shipping for Idolmaster is killer because each volumes comes with a gigantic storyboard artbook, but, say, something like Hidan no Aria which comes with a short novel the weight isn't too heavy.

Quote:

All of this is, of course, not even factoring in that Amazon is also just outright cheaper than HMV. And it's still an Amazon site, so it's bound to have random discounts, which is where that preorder price guarantee comes in handy (or WTK with his mad wizard skills finding all the discounted items).

Definitely Amazon is cheaper than HMV. HMV only makes sense when you can take advantage of their great promotions so you can save later (I've looked at a few past orders and shipping cost between the two stores are essentially a wash). And, I know, I and others, like the fact that HMV will hold an item for you before shipping (you can choose the ship all items at once option).

This was merely a thought exercising wondering when does EMS shipping become more viable than Amazon's method.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
If it helps, the bluray box being shipped costs $25.45 via EMS, which is about the same price as a single figure being shipped via the same method.

Even still, I consider this pretty reasonable considering both the distance and the time it takes to get it to me. Generally, from the moment it exits Tokyo, it's at my door two days later (stopping over in Chicago for customs).
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
If it helps, the bluray box being shipped costs $25.45 via EMS, which is about the same price as a single figure being shipped via the same method.

Except Amazon, which is where you ordered from, uses DHL for their express shipping. Not EMS.

But, since we're on this topic, if you have access to a scale (or possibly the label might tell...I forget), can you weigh the box? I'd be interested to see what the EMS rate for the Lucky Star box with packaging would be.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
i guess i should write an application to get all the anime release date from Amazon.com and amazon japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 43