• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
It certainly has quite the air of postmodernism

Uh,really?I haven't an episode of K but really?Would you mind why it has an air of postmodernism.

By postmodernism, I am being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about how the presentation tends to obfuscate any meaningful plot (I still can't find it). It's damn pretty, though.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Sacred Blood wrote:
After watching the second episode of K, all i can say is that it makes me sad to see such high budget get wasted on a show like this.

Yeah, how dare a show intended for women get high funding!

I think he was complaining about the last episode being a comedy that had a naked girl running around for half the time.
eaglesdome810

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Sweeeeet Jormungand gets a second season! Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
Little Busters episode 2... and now I'm completely flummoxed. I have no idea what JC Staff is going for now by spoiler[having Riki have that brief flashback of all the routes (most importantly Rin2)] when he picked up the note attached to Lennon. I'm very worried now.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Little Busters I have no idea what JC Staff is going for now by spoiler[having Riki have that brief flashback of all the routes (most importantly Rin2)] when he picked up the note attached to Lennon.

Now you got me worried. I haven't watched it, but... is this a bad sign? It does look like a mega spoiler, duh. Hopefully they wont ruin the whole story
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Second season of Medaka Box aired a little while ago, and the first episode wasn't bad. There were a couple of funny parts, definitely, and the series has continued its transition to shounen style fighting anime which still makes me curious, but it hasn't yet done much to really make it stand out among all the other shounen fighting anime. I was also a little disappointed some of my favorite characters from the first season didn't really show up much.

Also, did every single person in this show use a modified version of that hair regrowth formula from Humanity has Declined? Cause I'm convinced all their hair is alive.

I believe Bamboo is the only member of ANN's staff that actually finished the first season, so I'm curious what she thinks of the second season so far.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Little Busters episode 2... and now I'm completely flummoxed. I have no idea what JC Staff is going for now by spoiler[having Riki have that brief flashback of all the routes (most importantly Rin2)] when he picked up the note attached to Lennon. I'm very worried now.

spoiler[They also showed a scene from refrain....] Anyway saw psycho pass and it was decent but im disappointed at how it turned out since it was my second most anticipated show of the season.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Well now that the season is finished I guess I will just post here what I liked the most and what i will continue watching:
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Psycho-Pass
From the new world
My little monster
Robotics;Notes
It was decent season,what I noticed was there wasn't a lot of shows that I hated just a bunch shows I felt indifferent about.
On unrelated note Shinichiro Watanabe is creating a comedy series about space travel at BONES studio that will premiere somewhere in 2013... Shocked
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Just a headsup, we're wrapped for Fall 2012 as of now. Thanks everyone for reading!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just a headsup, we're wrapped for Fall 2012 as of now. Thanks everyone for reading!

You never reviewed Girls und Panzer!
Macron One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Reading all of the varying opinions on the new season's first episodes was quite interesting. It's a pity though that Sentai didn't manage to get their legal stream for Chuunibyou up and running in time for the reviewers to cover it, as i would have loved to see what their opinions of it are. While it is hardly the most creative show of the season, being essentially your basic cutesy comedy series, i've nevertheless been very impressed thusfar by how well-crafted it is and by the sheer amount of fun i'm having while watching it do its thing.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty surprised so many people reviewed Aikatsu.. I figured that would be one of those shows the reviewers just kinda ignore. Admittedly though, its not very good. I love the Precure shows but it doesn't have the same kinda quality they have, and its pretty obvious its just a commercial for the card game. I'll likely give it one more episode.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Gyrozetter just made me laugh so much. I mean there's this corny evil old guy and what's his army? An evil army of cars! It's just so campy that I want to watch it. The mecha dance ED sure doesn't hurt either.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel unexpectedly apathetic about this season. None of the series leapt out at me as something that I really wanted to see. I started From the New World because it seemed the most promising, I like its mood and patience, and I happened to need something to watch that night. I watched Jormungand in the spring, so I'll keep following that. One or two series that seemed like they might be promising failed to arouse my passions. Perhaps The Stream will point the way later on. If not, well, I've been due to watch Chihayafuru for like half a year now.

And now for some fun. I put a simple spreadsheet of the reviewers and the scores that they gave together.

First are some rankings of how things were rated, then the complete list of things previewed, then the reviewers themselves. The first number is the average score (μ), the second the standard deviation of the scores (σ) and the third the number of people who reviewed it (n). (Where there was only one review, no standard deviation is given)

The three best received things were as follows:
1. Say, "I love you." with μ:4.00
2. From the New World with μ:3.75
3. My Little Monster with μ:3.5

The three worst received things were as follows:
1. OniAi with μ:1.38
2. The Pet Girl of Sakurasou with μ:1.80
3. Aikatsu! with μ:2.13

The three with the highest standard deviations were as follows:
1. Btooom! with σ:1.16
2. Psycho-pass with σ:1.04
3. Say, "I love you." with σ:1.00

The three with the lower standard deviations were as follows:
1. Hayate the Combat Butler: I Can't Take My Eyes Off You with σ:0.25
2. Kamisama Kiss with σ:0.42
3. My Little Monster with σ:0.50

(Anything with fewer than three previews was ignored for the above lists)

The data for all of the series, listed alphabetically, is below.

Aikatsu! μ:2.13 σ:0.75 n:4
Blast of Tempest μ:3.17 σ:0.61 n:6
Blast of Tempest episode 2 μ:3.50 n:1
Btooom! μ:2.58 σ:1.16 n:6
Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter μ:1.75 σ:0.35 n:2
Code: Breaker μ:2.75 σ:0.65 n:4
From the New World μ:3.75 σ:0.61 n:6
From the New World episode 2 μ:3.25 σ:0.35 n:2
Girls Und Panzer μ:2.38 σ:0.95 n:4
Hayate the Combat Butler: I Can't Take My Eyes Off You μ:2.88 σ:0.25 n:4
Hiiro no Kakera Dai-ni-Shō μ:1.50 n:1
Hiiro no Kakera Dai-ni-Shō episode 2 μ:2.50 n:1
Ixion Saga DT μ:3.00 σ:0.71 n:4
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure μ:3.30 σ:0.97 n:5
Jormungand: Perfect Order μ:4.00 n:1
K μ:2.75 σ:0.65 n:4
Kamisama Kiss μ:3.10 σ:0.42 n:5
Kamisama Kiss episode 2 μ:3.50 n:1
Little Busters μ:3.13 σ:0.75 n:4
Magi μ:3.13 σ:0.95 n:4
My Little Monster μ:3.50 σ:0.50 n:5
My Little Monster episode 2 μ:3.50 σ:0.00 n:2
OniAi μ:1.38 σ:0.95 n:4
Psycho-pass μ:3.30 σ:1.04 n:5
Robotics;Notes μ:2.75 σ:0.35 n:2
Say, "I love you." μ:4.00 σ:1.00 n:3
Teekyū μ:0.50 n:1
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou μ:1.80 σ:0.97 n:5
Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth Life μ:3.00 n:1

The overall average score was 2.82
The overall average standard deviation of the scores was 0.82

And for the reviewers themselves. (Here n is the number of previews out of a possible 29)

Karl Kimlinger μ:3.10 σ:0.82 n:21
Carlo Santos μ:2.79 σ:1.02 n:17
Theron Martin μ:3.23 σ:0.73 n:20
Rebecca Silverman μ:2.67 σ:0.87 n:24
Bamboo Dong μ:2.50 σ:1.46 n:8
Zac Bertschy μ:2.57 σ: 1.21 n:7

I'm sure that I've made some errors in this, especially with regards to the data, but given the stakes, I can live with that. I hope that somebody else found it at least remotely interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Reading all of the varying opinions on the new season's first episodes was quite interesting. It's a pity though that Sentai didn't manage to get their legal stream for Chuunibyou up and running in time for the reviewers to cover it, as i would have loved to see what their opinions of it are. While it is hardly the most creative show of the season, being essentially your basic cutesy comedy series, i've nevertheless been very impressed thusfar by how well-crafted it is and by the sheer amount of fun i'm having while watching it do its thing.

I remember Key/Theron Martin commented somewhere that he rather liked the first episode, so now that the preview guide is over and the series is still stuck in limbo, perhaps he'll post his thoughts in this thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 52 of 55