• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Lollipop Chainsaw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
For a minute there I thought I was reading a review by a feminist female till I read the byline. Laughing

Quote:
The miserable, stapled-on oral fixation (lollipops, guys, really?)
If it's in the title on the box, content has to match. Wink

Personally I find the whole concept of a teenaged girl, with a petite body, whelding a 60kg. chainsaw with the speed and dexterity of a body builder, or lumberjack, let alone zombies, too incredulous to even bother, but that's what living in reality for too long will do to one. Wink
At least Juliet is wearing knickers, and dark knickers at that, under that microskirt, but was that a hint of camel toe I saw in one of those screen shots? Maybe it's just my hentai mind. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

At least Juliet is wearing knickers, and dark knickers at that, under that microskirt, but was that a hint of camel toe I saw in one of those screen shots? Maybe it's just my hentai mind. Laughing

Shouldn't you be looking at someone's teenage knickers, oyaji! Wink
Alien1375

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Lollipop Chainsaw has the style down-pat, but the cultural climate of 2012 is very different from that of the 60s and 70s.

F*** the cultural climate of 2012... Twisted Evil
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it enough to ask the hard questions out of one side of your mouth while regurgitating the same tired tropes out of the other?

For my money, the answer is no. How many have or will buy this ironically or for some hidden message that may or may not even be intended? Assuming it even gets across to the average person at all?

I had zero interest in the game before and this review reinforces that judgment. I admire trying to see the best in a product, but I very much doubt there's that much going on with this. No more than I'd believe that No More Heroes has an anti-violence subtext. In any case, it's not a good use of time and effort to go digging through a mountain of dirt in hopes of finding a miniscule amount of treasure.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Shouldn't you be looking at someone's teenage knickers, oyaji! Wink
Why? You got some to show me? Laughing
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
It sure would be nice if these armchair revolutionaries would GTFO and stop ramming their agenda down our throats. I hate to break it to you, but we read VG reviews to find out if a game is fun and enjoyable, not to get a faceful of gender politics from a bitter feminist.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
It sure would be nice if these armchair revolutionaries would GTFO and stop ramming their agenda down our throats. I hate to break it to you, but we read VG reviews to find out if a game is fun and enjoyable, not to get a faceful of gender politics from a bitter feminist.

Gamer culture sure is great!!!
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but we read VG reviews to find out if a game is fun and enjoyable,

Plenty of space is spent on that, as those of us who bothered to actually pay attention to the review know.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:25 am; edited 2 times in total
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

If you don't like it, you can just giiiiiiiiiiiiiiit out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMOcyCLZHBQ

Wink

Seriously though, nobody's saving the world by pointing out how horrible it is that guys like T & A, and that sometimes T & A finds its way into games. It's great to have a cause, but surely such efforts could find a better outlet than ragging on a video game for not being PC enough. It seems like an easy way for some "journalist" to win approval and show how sophisticated he or she is, instead of doing something actually relevant to feminism like, say, protesting the horrible things that people in Africa and the Middle East are doing to women.

http://www.middleeastvoices.com/2012/01/violence-against-women-in-lebanon-a-debate-thats-not-going-away/

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/rape-south-africa-0022190

Aside from that, there's the simple fact that not everything needs to be politicized, and not everyone likes to be preached at. There's a time and a place for everything, but an anime and gaming site is probably neither. Wink

Last edited by JuicyB on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
JuicyB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
JuicyB wrote:
I hate to break it to you, but we read VG reviews to find out if a game is fun and enjoyable,

Plenty of space is spent on that, as those of us who bothered to actually pay attention to the review know.

I read it, and I know. It was still way too heavy handed on the politics.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
Zac wrote:

If you don't like it, you can just giiiiiiiiiiiiiiit out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMOcyCLZHBQ

Wink

Seriously though, nobody's saving the world by pointing out how horrible it is that guys like T & A, and that sometimes T & A finds its way into games. It's great to have a cause, but surely such efforts could find a better outlet than ragging on a video game for not being PC enough. It seems like an easy way for some "journalist" to win approval and show how sophisticated he or she is, instead of doing something actually relevant to feminism like, say, protesting the horrible things that people in Africa and the Middle East are doing to women.

http://www.middleeastvoices.com/2012/01/violence-against-women-in-lebanon-a-debate-thats-not-going-away/

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/rape-south-africa-0022190

Aside from that, there's the simple fact that not everything needs to be politicized, and not everyone likes to be preached at. There's a time and a place for everything, but an anime and gaming site is probably neither. Wink

It isn't political. He's talking about the game's gender issues a little in addition to reviewing the gameplay. It's completely relevant. He isn't going over the top.

The problem here is that you are too sensitive, believe it or not.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
Why is it inevitable when someone brings up something problematic about the depiction of women (or gays, or an ethnicity, etc. but I really see it more often in regards to gender) that someone always has to bring up the, "But there's worse stuff happening somewhere else that you should be worrying about" card, i.e. we should never criticize anything about X because there's something worse happening over at Y. The problem is there's always something worse happening over at Y so to me the message is at best, "Don't bother trying to make things better, even when it's in your power to do so," and at worst just a kneejerk response to criticism.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:

I read it, and I know. It was still way too heavy handed on the politics.

Seems to me you resent the subject being brought up at all. I say it's fair game to review everything the reviewer considers noteworthy or interesting about the product. That includes story, content and themes, not just game mechanics.

Your other post falls into a too-common fallacy - it's possible to care about more than one thing at the same time!

And anyway, he's far more open to the game than I am. You should read the review again.
seanhiruki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
Another great game review, Mr. Riley. I knew that you would dislike the game, but I was surprised to hear that some of the combat is at least fun.

And, Zac, let it be man. They know not what they do. Though, I have to admit the jump into politics was a bit...well I want to use 'outlandish' but that is not the right word for it...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It isn't political. He's talking about the game's gender issues a little in addition to reviewing the gameplay. It's completely relevant. He isn't going over the top.

The problem here is that you are too sensitive, believe it or not.

Game reviews, like any review, is supposed to be about how good the game is and if they'd recommend it... not a platform to complain about gender inequality or some such junk. Nobody cares about the reviewers opinion on that stuff. Its like that recent Gamespot review for Atelier Meruru where he spent half the time whining about sexualized little girls and being offended by it. Its completely irrelevant to the quality of the game and it did nothing but cause giant flame wars in the comments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6