• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Official One Piece 3D Breasts Mouse Pads for Sale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dako Guyver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
I will say that I was a a little surprised that they finally decided to make these, but it was bound to happen sooner or later sadly. You all also must remember how long the manga has been going on. Almost 12 years now. If someone started reading it at 6 they would be 18 now. That's the perfect age for this stuff.

Also I don't care who thinks this show is only for kids. To me, it's universal, and I will be collecting the DVD's into my 30's (because that's more then likely how long it is going to take for it all to come over here). The story is great, the characters are great, and I'm just plan happy while I watch it. The DVD's will sit right next to DBZ, Ranma ½, Tenchi Muyo!, and god knows how many more.

As for this novelty item, no thank you. I'm happy with my skulls mouse pad. It may not have a wrist rest, but it's fine for me.

~Dako Guyver
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I certainly didn't expect there to be One Piece oppai mousepads. Shocked
Ecchi titles, I can understand...but One Piece?
Navak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
Whatever Wikipedia says, it isn't a genre. Wikipedia isn't always right, folks. Wink

I know what a genre is >.>

also how did i know something like this would come up? Wikipedia is right 100% of the time i use it, in fact in even used some of its sources to write many a college paper this semester.

I am not saying shounen is not not a demographic as well, i am saying that there is an alternative definition in which it is a genre.

Backup source :here

also i am so done arguing this point this has turned pointless and seems to be an exercise in futility. why must everything discussed about anime turn into some long argument over the definition of one word. I feel childish for even arguing.

Many wikipedia "sources", and that link for sure, should not be accepted nor used in most college papers except to find other sources.

Young adult books may often share some characteristics, but that still doesn't make them a genre. Age categories are not genres.

At best you'd have an argument that in the US, it may be used to describe a genre, like how "anime" in the US refers specifically to Japanese or "Japanese-style" animation and not all animation (a style and/or medium instead of the whole medium of animation), but you'd need to make a rather more comprehensive argument than sourcing Wikipedia and a submission which may come from yourself.

It probably doesn't help that the first sentence in the linked article states, "Shonen is the word used to describe anime that specifically appeals to young boys." which can certainly be used as one of the criteria to define a genre, but I don't think would be accepted as a genre by itself even when using rather loose definitions.

And of course this is all assuming that you accept the argument for genres to exist in the first place.

I imagine many things turn into an argument over one word because a shared frame of reference, or at least an understanding, is rather essential for accurate communication.

I often find myself saddened by the negative connotation given to "semantics!" when semantics is meaning itself.
Taker128

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
It's over. The anime industry is over, and because this is authorized by Shueisha, I'm just gonna go ahead and say the manga industry is over, too. This is proof of the new low it's reached, when even mainstream shonen manga has fallen victim to the moe plague.

I just feel really bad for Oda...

Why, this is nothing new, if you think this is the downfall of anime/manga industry you need to to get over your high horse. Adult industry is a pretty big part of anime/manga/game industry. hell, there are LOTS of seinen manga that was full of nudity and sex and don't release outside of East Asia. and there are plenty of artists/illustrationist and creators began their career started in wht you refer as H-dojinshis.

Some notables includes Yoshihiro Togashi of Hunter x Hunter, Oh Great from Air Gear [known for his breasts and rough, hard core sex], Masakazu Katsur of I"s, Hiroki Yagami of Dear Boys, etc.

There are also good/decent "regular" anime base off Adult game such as Shuffle, Fate/Stay Night, Comic Party, Princess Lover, Clannad, etc.

Last edited by Taker128 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I want them now. Maybe I'll use this idea to sell mousepads with real girls and their boobies.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Waiting for J-List...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Ahem... The technical term for this class of merchandise is "Boobie Mouse Pad" not "Breasts Mouse Pad".

This is exactly why I can never trust ANN to report on these crucial news items professionally...
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Taker128 wrote:
Some notables includes Yoshihiro Togashi of Hunter x Hunter, Oh Great from Air Gear [known for his breasts and rough, hard core sex], Masakazu Katsur of I"s, Hiroki Yagami of Dear Boys, etc.

Katsura started out as a hentai artist? I never knew that, though it really shouldn't surprise me, since drawing the female form seems to be a specialty of his.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, after some thoughts about this, who cares, its not the worst thing I've seen associated with an anime property. Lest we forget about all the weird stuff you can find that's associated with Hello Kitty out there. Trust me, some mouse pad with boobs on it is the least of our concerns. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Fonzie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I think that Hentai will come next. I mean, you can find Hentai Manga in japan everywhere, even in a Docters waiting room. Its not that big a deal in Japan. You can find Hentai Manga alongside the newpapers and other Manga over there. While I don't really like One Piece personally, I DO like many others. Its inevitable that these things come to the rest of the world. Its no more unusual then people buying Phantom mouse pads, or some other Comic hero on it. The "Boobies" are there for 1: Novelty Value and 2: Wrist Support.
I'm just waiting for the Bleach series to come out to get some REAL wrist support!
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok Shueisha, when can we expect the OP 3D Butt and Crotch mouse pads, because not all males love breasts that much, some go for the Booty Razz

Is there sarcasm on my post, hell yes, but that's merchandising for you. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
noriko-takaya wrote:
I want them now. Maybe I'll use this idea to sell mousepads with real girls and their boobies.

Too late, somebody already beat you to it Slightly NSFW
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
You all should just get your minds out of the gutter.

Wrist cushion mouse pads have been around for years. I use one.

However, people also like to have images on their mouse pads. They just combined the two aspects of mouse pads into a creative design.

I think it's actually pretty smart, tbh, despite the possible sexual insinuations.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I think it's actually pretty smart, tbh, despite the possible sexual insinuations.

"Possible"? The facial expressions don't leave much to the imagination; definitely more erotic than anything I've seen in the show (I only got up to ep. 240-something).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Too late, somebody already beat you to it

Egad. Though perhaps sound in conception, there is something amiss with the execution. Despite their best efforts, the image of each model's face varies in size from product to product, and yet the dimensions of each mousepad do not. As a result, the spacial proportions between bust and face fails to be consistently accurate.

From the company's website:
Quote:
Dad will most definitely poke at it. Mom will roll her eyes. Then poke at it. Feminists seethe and curse our existence!

I commend them for their frankness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10