• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
wait a minute... does this mean ADV has Gintama? i'm really confused about this announcement. if so, how the hell is that possible? you'd think Bandai would do more with such a big license.
Gintama is a Shueisha (aka Shonen Jump publishers) property, not a Bandai property.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome news. Great to see Sentai pick up something big and Gintama finally make its way over. I'm surprised though since I always figured it would be picked up by Viz.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I have to say it is nice we are getting Gintama however this really is one of those shows that should have had a dub. It's really hard to keep following a show as long as this with subs only.

The other side to this is that if section23/sentai can't afford to dub some of the 12 episode series they have released there is NO WAY they could afford to dub upwards of 200 episodes.

Perhaps if it does really well they may re release it with a dub however I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think that it is that they cannot afford to dub some of those 12 episode shows. IMHO is that some of those shows are niche at best (Blue Drop and He is my Master as an example) and having them just be sub only would obviously be cheaper for them and they wouldn't lose as much money as if they didn't sell well, then if they dub it as well and still didn't sell well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Asatte no Houkou sounds like it has a really interesting premise... What's the general consensus? Does it deliver?
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I want to see proof that they CAN'T dub something. It wouldn't surprise me if they can but wanted to wait until they had a truly big title they feel confident will make money.
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised by Gintama, and I wanted to watch Asatte no Houkou for a long time, so now I can do it on my TV. Hurray!
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm so disappointed, i was hoping funimation would grab Gintama and dub it. don't see much reason to buy the dvd's without a dub.
Everminde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Asatte no Houkou was something I never thought I'd see licensed. Nice surprise. Very Happy

And I'll finally have a chance to pickup Cosette.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH X 365! Also, somewhat shocked at Gintama. That one seemed unlikely, but since it'll be subbed only, it makes sense. I just hope that ADV/Sentai can do the wonders with subtitles like they've done with previous projects, like PPD.

Also, all these people bitching about dubs for Gintama: it's highly unlikely that this show would go on TV. Seriously. And then there's the aspect of it being incredibly grossed in pop culture. A joke dub like Shin-chan would probably just piss more people off.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll most likely buy Gintama if Section 23 has something similar to the ADV Vid notes for Excel, Pani Poni, etc.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Gintama, I am very happy to see it get licensed. I guess I am a little upset that dubs are unlikely, however, I am more excited that I will have a DVD's of the show.

I always wonder if something could get licensed if Crunchyroll already had it. So I guess it can, I just wonder how all that stuff works.

Oh, and with the news of Le Portrait de Petite Cossette coming from Geneon. I am begining to wonder now if Sentai will be in charge of my future releases of Shakugan no Shana and Higurashi. Although I dont know much about how licensing works either (in terms of who is more likely to get what).
Senna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Woah. The Gintama announcement is exciting, but I am much more excited by the announcement for Asatte no Houkou! It's a nice little series, and like others, I never expected it to get licensed (especially since it's been a while since it's release in Japan).
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I'm so disappointed, i was hoping funimation would grab Gintama and dub it. don't see much reason to buy the dvd's without a dub.

Yeah...seems kinda pointless too since the core fanbase have probably already seen these episodes via crunchyroll or some other outlet and they're spending xxx amount to buy a bare bones release, it would have been interesting to see how they would have handled it dub given their track record with comedies. Oh well
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
I have to say it is nice we are getting Gintama however this really is one of those shows that should have had a dub. It's really hard to keep following a show as long as this with subs only.

The other side to this is that if section23/sentai can't afford to dub some of the 12 episode series they have released there is NO WAY they could afford to dub upwards of 200 episodes.

Perhaps if it does really well they may re release it with a dub however I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think that it is that they cannot afford to dub some of those 12 episode shows. IMHO is that some of those shows are niche at best (Blue Drop and He is my Master as an example) and having them just be sub only would obviously be cheaper for them and they wouldn't lose as much money as if they didn't sell well, then if they dub it as well and still didn't sell well.

I do agree that they are releasing alot of niche shows however I would say that they could have dubbed something like He is My Master and it would have probably been better depending on how they did it. I mean think about this is the former ADV they dubbed Azumanga, Pani Poni Dash and Excel Saga all to GREAT effect. He is My Master is similar in that it's a crazy over the top comedy and I don't really think that show in particular is as niche as you may think it is.

That said I don't think Gintama is niche at all. It's a show that ALOT of people were asking for for quite a long time. Out of all the shows they have released thus far Gintama is the one that NEEDS a dub the most.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Gintama is one I've been meaning to watch on Crunchyroll, but never got around to it...sounds like motivation!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16