• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
If that's the case, then why not just watch it on crunchyroll for free? Let's be realistic guys, there is no incentive to buy a stripped down release with no extras. It really bothers me that such a major license is basically being sent to die.

Well, honestly, there's been some seriously crazy hyperbole thrown around here but to me it comes down to a. owning a series that I've always thought was great, and b. showing support for that series as well as the people who work hard on it.

I am not anti-dub, but I just never felt that I was watching anime when I watched them. AS is fine, and I love the GITS dub, but part of that otherworldly nature of it just goes. I would never watch a film by Pasolini or Godard dubbed into English... it would rob them of their quirk and charm.

I've always contended that more anime is a good thing. Sure, I'd love a dub just so if my cousins came over I could play it for them or whatever, but the fact of the matter is a dub is probably not going to happen, and even though that's a bummer I can still help perpetuate this series' existence. As a writer who's worked on both sides of the fan/fan-ee fence* that is very important for me.

Plus, honestly, this thing would be a travesty in English. The Japanese voice acting for Gintama is superb.

* = "Yay I worked on stuff nobody knows! Leggo my ego!" Very Happy
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
So buying expensive R2J DVDs with no translations whatsoever is worth it, but buying cheap R1s with subtitles is a waste of money? You sure you're not getting bootlegs?

If that's the case, then why not just watch it on crunchyroll for free? Let's be realistic guys, there is no incentive to buy a stripped down release with no extras. It really bothers me that such a major license is basically being sent to die. I mean it's not like they couldn't have made a few dub discs to test the waters, even Media Blasters did that with GaoGaiGar.

How many times does it have to be explained? People like having physical media of their favorite shows. People like paying for shows so those companies can bring even more shows over here. I think it has been said plenty of times in this thread alone.

That being said, I won't be buying it, simple because of the fact I'm still collecting older titles that have dubs already done. How about you people who are so against a sub-only release do the same? There's lots of great titles out there, and you are still giving R1 companies money so they can have more money to use if they want to do a dub!
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
WindAlchemistJen wrote:
Dub or no dub, I'm still buying Gintama. Sub-only Gintama is better than Gintama remaining unlicensed, in my mind.

ah yes agreed, I was hoping for a dub, but I am happy to get this show in affordable Sentai sets. I said something simmilar about Clannad not getting a dub
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

If that's the case, then why not just watch it on crunchyroll for free?

Because
a)I dislike watching anime or any media on my computer.
b) I can't collect streaming videos and proudly display them on my shelf.
c) Free doesn't pay the bills for anime R1 companes, or the Japanese studios. The less money they get, the less anime I get. I like lots of anime. Therefore, I'm more than happy to cough up the dough for it.

Also, someone earlier asked why we were wanting sales figures - ChocoBar stated that sub-only disks don't sell enough to break even, and spoke as if it was an absolute truth. However, he had nothing to actually back these claims up. The fact that he's gone totally silent on the matter since people started asking for sales figures pretty much shows that he has no clue what he's talking about. As I said before, when people who actually work in the industry talk, I'll listen. Some guy on an online forum with no evidence to back up his claims...eh, no.

This whole argument is just...blech. For me, anime has always been foreign media, so therefore, I don't expect it to be catered to my Western point of view. If someone makes a dub, that's a bonus, but not something to be expected. I honestly think that the 'bubble' in the early 2000's has spoiled people, and has led to them having unrealistic expectations. You don't see foreign film buffs blowing a gasket when a movie comes out without a dub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Also, someone earlier asked why we were wanting sales figures - ChocoBar stated that sub-only disks don't sell enough to break even, and spoke as if it was an absolute truth. However, he had nothing to actually back these claims up.

Plus, let's not forget that we HAVE had ACTUAL industry insiders confirm that some subtitled releases do very well. Clannad did quite well by all accounts, including Right Stuf and Anime Corner. Princess Resurrection, Dokuro-chan, Hidamarai Sketch and other subtitled series have all seemed to do some rather good, if not exceptional numbers.

Plus, I can tell you first hand that there are several subbed series that do quite well, and even outsell dubbed series from other companies. Today, my store received a few copies of Skull Man. They were all sold by 3 pm. To date, we have only sold one copy of Shiguiri PERIOD. Now those examples may not apply everywhere, but they go to show that the rule that dubbed always does better, and the belief that sub only releases fail is FALSE.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Quark wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Also, someone earlier asked why we were wanting sales figures - ChocoBar stated that sub-only disks don't sell enough to break even, and spoke as if it was an absolute truth. However, he had nothing to actually back these claims up.

Plus, let's not forget that we HAVE had ACTUAL industry insiders confirm that some subtitled releases do very well. Clannad did quite well by all accounts, including Right Stuf and Anime Corner. Princess Resurrection, Dokuro-chan, Hidamarai Sketch and other subtitled series have all seemed to do some rather good, if not exceptional numbers.

Plus, I can tell you first hand that there are several subbed series that do quite well, and even outsell dubbed series from other companies. Today, my store received a few copies of Skull Man. They were all sold by 3 pm. To date, we have only sold one copy of Shiguiri PERIOD. Now those examples may not apply everywhere, but they go to show that the rule that dubbed always does better, and the belief that sub only releases fail is FALSE.

How do you have Skull Man on the shelves already, its street date is 2/2?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Yueh: I see. Funny story about Geneon. One of their reps told me the reason they didn't want to put out the subbed + uncut version of the Dog of Flanders on DVD was because the dubbed+edited version sold so poorly. Well, of course it sold so poorly, because the people who would buy it were getting a raw deal! Meanwhile, if the ANNcast thing is correct, for a fraction of what it would have cost to put out a better version, they're betting the house on even more unreliable properties. It reminds me of when Urban Vision thought people really wanted obscure Tatsunoko and horror anime on DVD, but properties with some name-recognition like The Cockpit and that FF OVA were off-limits, because of how they did on VHS.

And some of their "quality" titles had insane prices which did not seem to translate into must-own products. For example, two hundred bucks for FY was too high, even by late 90s/early 2000s standards. And I still don't get how 3x3 Eyes and Patlabor WXIII went for $65, when there was not enough demand for 'em in the first place.

So anyway, R1 companies which bring out these niche properties have to give consumers a reason to buy them, other than "they're big in Japan", or "they're dubbed"! Animeigo's had tons of sub-only titles, and most of them were clearly not hits, or the company wouldn't be shifting to samurai flicks. And the newer the title, the higher the expectation to sell. Plus, Japan's gonna charge more for the rights, because it's newer. But that's not always enough for American consumers, either.

Therefore, companies have to believe in these shows, or at least be run by people who like 'em enough, too. Because we can tell when you're not just putting it out there at random, and/or are trying to cash in on us.

Dubbies don't generally make those distinctions. They just want whatever they can blog about, make into an AMV, or share with friends. They are not going to take chances on anime which hasn't been over-hyped to death, or anime which doesn't fit the American equivalent of moe. [I'm thinking "Hangover", "500 Days of Summer", or "Wanted" as examples.] Look what happened when FUNi tried proving me wrong with Big Wind-Up.

So, in conclusion, if you want to insure certain anime gets dubbed, you're just gonna have to do the leg-work of promoting it more. In other words, whether you like it or not, R1 sub-only releases are the new fansubs. It sucks, but unlike our generation, at least you're actually getting your stuff on domestic home video at all.

cody: FUNI acquiring Shigurui sounded like a desperate attempt to cash in on Gantz and Afro Samurai. So I'm not surprised if it's doing badly, considering the manga didn't even get a U.S. release here, and it has no hype, either. Plus, let's be honest. Skull Man has the cooler cover.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Dubbies don't generally make those distinctions. They just want whatever they can blog about, make into an AMV, or share with friends. They are not going to take chances on anime which hasn't been over-hyped to death, or anime which doesn't fit the American equivalent of moe. [I'm thinking "Hangover", "500 Days of Summer", or "Wanted" as examples.] Look what happened when FUNi tried proving me wrong with Big Wind-Up.

Please don't troll. Making such extreme assumptions in regards to an entire section of the fanbase and firing them off in such an insulting manner is completely unnecessary, not to mention damaging to your own credibility. I'm a "dubby", and I easily make those distinctions and enjoy a series based on its quality, not whether it's hyped up or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:

How do you have Skull Man on the shelves already, its street date is 2/2?

Best Buy tends to get things early. I remember I got the first Ergo Porxy boxset like 2-3 weeks before it's "street date".
triangle_man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
You don't see foreign film buffs blowing a gasket when a movie comes out without a dub.

Nope, a dub would destroy Seven Samurai for me.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
Quark wrote:
You don't see foreign film buffs blowing a gasket when a movie comes out without a dub.

Nope, a dub would destroy Seven Samurai for me.

Watch it there, I almost had a stroke when you put dub and Seven Samurai in the same sentence. That is one of my all time favorite movies even though it came out in 1954 and was B/W.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Presenting Gintama, the unwatchable because the subs are pants official Frisbee set!

Seriously, ADV, please 'effing die already.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Presenting Gintama, the unwatchable because the subs are pants official Frisbee set!

Seriously, ADV, please 'effing die already.

Was that even English? What the hell did that even mean?

Man, you kids these days... when I was young we ate ground glass for every meal and were lucky if we got tuberculosis for Christmas. We walked 8 miles up a hill every day and what did we get for our birthday? Somebody killed our favourite house pet in front of us.

You could always learn Japanese and only rely on the work of those pesky college-educated translators when your obviously amazing linguistic skills failed you. Smile

Edited for grammar.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Just wanted to make a quick point about the attraction of dubs. A few people have indicated that people who say they won't buy a sub only DVD because they can get subs for free off the Internet are just as likely to rip off dubs from the Internet, so their protestations are irrelevant because they won't buy DVDs no matter what. I'm sure that is true of some people.

Not true. Most of us wont buy the sub only Dvds cause we rather hear them in our native language. Not to mention some are really good. I myself is a hardcore dubber only and wether it's on the internet or on dvd or tv i'll watch only dubs ( though i did made an exception to some epsiodes of both naruto shippuden & the RAW eps of pokemon diamond and pearl . never will watch fansub ripoffs.)

most of the anime sentai licensed i never heard of and wont be susprised it getting sub only and wont give a crap otherwise ,but a long series (over 200 eps) and a shouen jump series like gintama getting that treatment is like sending the series into a suicide run. would have been better if viz media got the license.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
"Update 2: Section23 Films' Chris Oarr notes that Sentai Filmworks licensed the first two seasons of Gintama, with an option on the rest. The DVD release will be English-subtitled."

I would buy both the first and second season in a heart beat. Section23 please release them on the same date. It would be so awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16