• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
HELL YEAH X 365! Also, somewhat shocked at Gintama. That one seemed unlikely, but since it'll be subbed only, it makes sense. I just hope that ADV/Sentai can do the wonders with subtitles like they've done with previous projects, like PPD.

Don't hold your breath since the majority of Sentai's releases has very minimal extras in general, plus the assertion of anyone buying a sub-only release the can get for free on crunchy roll is laughable
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Also, all these people bitching about dubs for Gintama: it's highly unlikely that this show would go on TV. Seriously. And then there's the aspect of it being incredibly grossed in pop culture. A joke dub like Shin-chan would probably just piss more people off.

Uh, no one was bitching about it being on TV, many people have seen these episodes subbed and wanted to see how it would be any more different dubbed in comparison. I really don't see how a joke dub for Gintama would piss people off since it would actually work for it given the content of the show is just as raunchy, Shin-chan was hit or miss because they added unnecessary or tried to hard to make a touching scene funny for no reason.
wicked86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, the titles I'll probably pick up from this are Hidamari Sketch x 365,
Asatte no Houkou, and Petite Cossette. They all seem to be fitting of my taste. And I love the Sunshine Sketch manga, one of my favorite.

I just wish Sentai did more dubs, it'd be so great, its hard to enjoy some anime without dubs. Is what it is I suppose though.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I just urinated myself. Gintama is a MUST buy.

THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.THANK YOU SENTAI.

Also, I'd rather Gintama not get a dub. I just want it in my collection.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'll most likely buy Gintama if Section 23 has something similar to the ADV Vid notes for Excel, Pani Poni, etc.
Hells yes. ADVid Notes make those shows worth twice as much to me. (Nerima Daikon Brothers had them too.)
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Also, all these people bitching about dubs for Gintama: it's highly unlikely that this show would go on TV. Seriously. And then there's the aspect of it being incredibly grossed in pop culture.

Maybe? Also, if it's already on Chunchyroll with subtitles, I don't see much point in licensing it and then not dubbing it. Most people who want to see it subbed will likely have already done so, legally.
Gecko Moria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Let me guess no dub for Gintama......... What a waste!!!!! Damn Sentai pisses me off to the greatest existent.... And the Same for Hidamari Sketch... Dammit! Sentai is messing up all the good stuff.. *Looks at Viz* What happened man? What the hell happened?

Last edited by Gecko Moria on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people don't like to watch streaming video if they could get their hands on a DVD. just from my personal experience. Good news anyways.

Asatte no Houkou is one of those gems from 2006 and I'm very happy about it being made available here. Heck, I'd buy it just for episode 8 Twisted Evil
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Gintama?! Shocked

****ING SOLD!
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to buy sub-only Anime DVDs, so I'm very disappointed that Gintama was licensed by Sentai. I was expecting Viz or FUNi to pick it up.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
A lot of people don't like to watch streaming video if they could get their hands on a DVD. just from my personal experience.

Shell out $20-30 dollars for a singles release with no extras instead of getting the same experience online for free? Yeah that makes sense Rolling Eyes
ZeetherKID77

Gecko Moria wrote:
Let me guess no dub for Gintama......... What a waste!!!!! Damn Sentai pisses me off to the greatest existent.... And the Same for Hidamari Sketch... Dammit! Sentai messing up all the good stuff.. *Looks at Viz* What happened man? What the hell happened?

Why do I have the feeling this guy is an alt?

Good for Sentai, but I'm with the other people who are wondering where the dubs they promised are.
Lord Geo

Assate no Houkou is a maybe as it has interested me before. But Gintama is, without a doubt, going to be a definite buy for me. Also, it's nice to see that Sentai picked up another Shonen Jump anime... It kind of gives me hope that Sentai might license Ring ni Kakero 1, especially with Season 3 debuting this April.
Gecko Moria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I Gave up on FUNimation getting really good Anime After the Roll out thing.............. Dammit... I heard Sentai was working on 2 dubs What are the chances Gintama will be one of them?

@ZeetherKID77@

I am exactly who you think I am..

Last edited by Gecko Moria on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
omoikane wrote:
A lot of people don't like to watch streaming video if they could get their hands on a DVD. just from my personal experience.

Shell out $20-30 dollars for a singles release with no extras instead of getting the same experience online for free? Yeah that makes sense Rolling Eyes

Extras seem to depend on the show, as Sentai's releases of Neo Angelique Abyss have a good number of extras to them, and even stuff like Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden had the always cool "Making of" video extra.

Nice way to overgeneralize without making sure it's true beforehand.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
omoikane wrote:

Shell out $20-30 dollars for a singles release with no extras instead of getting the same experience online for free? Yeah that makes sense :roll:

1. Well, in this case, it's a boxset, not singles.
2. Actually, this is the case for plenty of people, myself included. I don't like to watch streaming video unless it's to preview a show. I rather watch it on TV via channels (Anime Network on Demand, Adult Swim, Disney XD for the sake of Shippuden) or DVD. That, and it's a lot quicker at 7am to place in a DVD or press a few buttons on the remote than it is to take out my laptop and wait for it to load just to watch one episode of an anime before going to work or school.

I, myself, don't care about extras - as long as the artwork is nice, the show is awesome, and the subtitles are not littered with errors, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Last edited by Aura Ichadora on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
spartydragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH GINTAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I'm perfectly fine with a sub-only release since dubbing this monster would be a royal pain in the butt (rumor has it it's twice as funny if you actually speak Japanese/live in Japan).

But, it just got me to wondering... Gintama is PERFECT Adult Swim fodder... and AS just announced that it has three new anime. Could Gintama be one of them? Is Sentai gonna pull a Gurren Lagann and release sub-only box sets for the die hard fans (such as myself) while airing dubbed episodes, with a duel audio release later? THINGS TO THINK ABOUT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16