• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Asu no Yoichi, Eyeshield 21, Hell Girl 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
So they have enough money to re-dub Appleseed but none for everything else. Okay then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Alright Hell Girl Season 2, I liked the dub but I can live with it if its sub only.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Color me surprised about the Hell Girl acquisition.

I can only speculate as to why Funi didn't get it. Perhaps they have too much on their plate right now. Maybe Section 23 outbid Funi. With lower overhead(no dub), they could have.

After watching the 1st season dubbed, I am a bit disappointed that I won't have that option with season 2. It is better than not getting it at all, though. I mean, at this point, I wouldn't be 100% disappointed if Section 23 picked up Higurashi Kai.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
YES!!! Eyeshield 21 finally got picked up! Wasn't always convenient to watch the stream, so this is definitely good news!
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
I am glad to be getting it but at the same time I am very disappointed because it's more then likely not going to have a dub and even if it does it will not have the same cast the original season 1 did and the original cast did a incredible job. Namely Brina Palencia playing Ai Enma.

I'll second that. I had to pick myself back up after falling out of my chair when I read that Hell Girl Season 2 was picked up by Sentai. I'm very glad for that and, like other readers, I really enjoyed the first season's dub. But what are you going to do? You can copy and paste the same complaints from prior Section 23 announcements here, or go and preorder it from TRSI, which I'll be doing.

And I'll repeat a prior comment of mine where at least Section 23 hits their release dates. (see related Bandai article from a couple days ago...)
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame they're re-dubbing Appleseed - ADV did a horrible job dubbing Ex Machina, and the Animaze dub of the first movie is both very well cast and charmingly corny (Animaze: even at their worst, they're usually still better than everyone else Razz). I can only assume there was a licensing or distribution issue or something.

Oh well, I already own the old Geneon release.

Last edited by hakojo on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Just when you think they can't surprise me anymore they pull the rabbit out of their hat. Eyeshield 21 and Hell Girl 2. Smile I love them and I don't care about no dub. Better then no dub then dvd release in my mind.
By the way I think was more they licensed You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle fully in December but much like Special A and others 26 episodes series they released it 2 collections. Glass Mask the only new series that released in 26 episodes at once and that was in those stupid stack packs.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
[..] It is better than not getting it at all, though. I mean, at this point, I wouldn't be 100% disappointed if Section 23 picked up Higurashi Kai.

Yes, if Section 23 are going to pick up things that Funimation are not going to finish, then Higurashi Kai might be a possibility too. I hadn't even thought that far. That would be awesome though (for Funimation too, because I've been holding off on the first half of Higurashi).
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Asu no Yoichi! Hell yeah! I bought the manga right away thinking the anime would never get licensed.

This gives me hope for Nyan Koi! now, another splendid 12 episode AIC title in the same vein as Asu. I'll be getting its manga from CMX later this year too.
mckg1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well this sucks. no dub... Well it could be possible sense sentai is re dubbing appleseed they could dub hell girl two(i hope so) I wondered what happened with Funi. Next thing you know sentai will pick shana 2 as well( for gods sake i hope not, i loved that eng dub). Im going to go to the Funimation Blog and ask Rojas what the F happened and are they going to unrelease the other series they have rescued.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this really changes a lot doesn't it? Now Sentai could use however well Funi's shows are doing (the numbers are made public somewhere right? Since I hear people talk about how well such-and-such shows are doing/not) and then snag the second season for less. This could be pretty interesting to watch.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Wow, this really changes a lot doesn't it? Now Sentai could use however well Funi's shows are doing (the numbers are made public somewhere right? Since I hear people talk about how well such-and-such shows are doing/not) and then snag the second season for less. This could be pretty interesting to watch.

If FUNi is just sitting on its laurels, then let 'em, I say. I for one would love to see all the Geneon/FUNi sequels make it over here already, no matter who licenses them.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there that Geneon Universal thing that kept a lot of the new Geneon Japan titles (including the sequels) in limbo?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
This isn't really about THIS license, but I've noticed something interesting in the R2 industry. The complete Bluray editions of Mai Hime, Mai Otome and Kanon that came out in Japan had English subtitles. Otome and Hime had English dubs as well. Could this mean the R2 is sick of R1 and trying things out with English subs for themselves? Clannad is also going to have English subs on it's Blurays, but no English dub since it was never made. This COULD mean the end of R1 if Japanese companies start adding English subs to their releases. It would stop the fear or reverse import as well. It would kill dubs.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Very surprised that Funi wasn't the one to pick up the Hell Girl season 2, being that they had the first.

And it's nice to see, despite what happened with Big Windup!, another company is still looking into licensing sports anime. Hopefully it'll pay off for Sentai.

Also, those hoping for a dub of Hell Girl 2, be prepared for disappointment - it's sub-only. http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/X0yMZoOqdezq8qjU4F/browse/item/86971/4/0/0
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16