• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Asu no Yoichi, Eyeshield 21, Hell Girl 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
As of the price, get over it. We are not paying for singles any more. Only Media Blasters are doing singles now for most part. We used to pay $180 MSRP for a 26 episode series on six disks. Now the series are down to $120.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Almaz wrote:
I find it interesting that no one even puts up what is wrong with specific titles. Only that fan subbers do a better job and stick it to the man. I have not seen any company do perfect work all of the time. I have a Crunchyroll membership and been pleased with the service. Sure the subs are screwed up on occasion and the site can be a pickle at time. However, it is good to have a site that does not have to take down shows (since it is legit.) I have seen fan subs have far less consistent quality.

Well, it's hard to point out exactly what's wrong with the titles, as it's generally a typo here and there. From what I've heard, some people said that some titles had on average one typo per episode. From what I've seen myself, having watched a few of Sentai's releases, it wasn't quite that bad. But there definitely are a few typos here and there. The same could be said for most R1 companies though.
Despite the typos, I'd still say they're doing a better than most fansubs I've seen. The font used in the Sentai releases is nice, clear, and easy to read, and I think they have less typos and spelling errors than most fansubs.
There is definite room for improvement, but honestly, it's not as bad as some people have made it out to be.
My main beef with Sentai is that their releases are very bare bones, but at the same time, they're releasing a lot of shows I like, and finishing them. That to me is more important than extras and pretty box art. Even if I miss the pretty box art.

I figured as much. I agree with you in having the show at all. As of bare bones, Funimation's Viridian collection are pretty bare themselves. If I remember correctly, Funimation is going to release an even cheaper set of series which is going to have a lower price point.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
FYI. I do understand that Funimation had to do what they did to stay in business. However, not finishing what they started ......

I must agree. It infuriates me so see Funimation not finishing what they started. Especially, with Shakugan no Shana, The Familiar of Zero and other title of Geneon they have been releasing. They can easly release them but choose not to.

I'm not saying Funimation is the best there is but it does a lot to please fans and at the same time stay in biusness.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Wow, we have a genuine smart ass on your hands, where did I say that they have to dub all the show they have. All I said is that they treat their shows like shit and there fans even worse (by selling the show at outrages prices and not even checking their work before releasing it). Also, they show no interest in going back and dubbing their more popular titles like Clannad. I'm not saying they need to go back and dub all their shows that they licensed.

I liked ADV Films because they actually treated shows better, unlike ADV Zombie that doesn't give two shits about the show they have licensed. So much so, that they are too lazy to even check for spelling error in their subs.
Well Mr. Pot, me thinks you complain too much, with too little knowledge of just what Sentai has been through to be even still in business, and they might go under yet. It exposes you as being a bit ungrateful. If their business model is too annoying for you then simply don't watch it. Job's a good'un. Wink

As much as I would hate to admit it, I does seem as I come off as being ungrateful. But, ADV Films turning into ADV Zombie. Yeah it's moving and yeah there is activity to some extent but they are not what they were before and are a hold different "thing" now.

Don't get me wrong, I liked ADV Films, very much so. I enjoyed their work but seeing them get turned into this pitiful state is just sad.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Almaz wrote:
FYI. I do understand that Funimation had to do what they did to stay in business. However, not finishing what they started ......

I must agree. It infuriates me so see Funimation not finishing what they started. Especially, with Shakugan no Shana, The Familiar of Zero and other title of Geneon they have been releasing. They can easly release them but choose not to.

I'm not saying Funimation is the best there is but it does a lot to please fans and at the same time stay in biusness.

I would have mentioned those titles too; however, I do not think Funimation could do anything since they are Geneon's titles. I do not know if Geneon still has the rights to the sequels.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
NJ: Nah, it failed, because Girl Got Game was more appealing at the time, since it dealt with what was more popular back then: gender-bending comedy. Well, that, and male leads who couldn't kick their own asses, which is why PoT has done better here(at least in manga form) than SD. Though I'm also willing to blame this movie which came out around the same time. Razz
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:58 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
i was waiting FOREVER!!! for Funimation to license Seasons 2 and 3 of Hell Girl and the way they do things made it seem like they were trying to. But it seems that wasn't the case.

I am glad to be getting it but at the same time I am very disappointed because it's more then likely not going to have a dub and even if it does it will not have the same cast the original season 1 did and the original cast did a incredible job. Namely Brina Palencia playing Ai Enma.

Your not the only one. I too was hoping funi would get it. But now that the sub only co has it , I highly doubt it. Not to mentioned Samuari Heaven (Asu no Yoichi ) and especially Eyeshield 21. I liked the series on toonami.

Looks like that's three more series on my avoid list until further notice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:25 am Reply with quote
Well, this is certainly good news, though I can certainly see why the fans of Hell Girl are disappointed (I haven't seen it, but if I ever do, it'll certainly be annoying to only be able to watch half of it dubbed).

As for Neo-ADV and dubs, my guess is that they're too poor right now to risk it for the most part. They had to get their hands on enough money to start up these new companies and buy the portions of ADV that they bought along with whatever assets that entailed (like all of ADVs old licenses in the case of AEsir Holdings). They almost certainly had to borrow money to pull that off, so some portion of whatever profits they make is likely going to paying off their debts.

Also, in order to license any show and release it, they need to have all of the money to do that up front before they make a dime on it - that includes any money that they might use for dubbing. So, they'd need deep enough pockets to pay for the dub before the show is released. They also need deep enough pockets to avoid dying if a show fails. Without a lot of monetary resources, the risk of dubbing a show goes up significantly. To top that off, most of what they've been licensing have been niche shows which are at a much higher risk of not making a profit even sub-only, let alone with a dub.

So, for most of their shows, doing a dub would likely be a high risk investment. For something like Appleseed, they're pretty much guaranteed to make a profit with a dub, so they're going for it. But for most of their other shows, I don't think that it's at all clear that they'd make money on a dub. Even something like Clannad might become unprofitable with a dub. Also, I believe that Clannad was one of their earlier releases when they wouldn't have been very far along on the road to recovery, so the risk of a dub would have been that much higher. And since it's not been proven that you can make a profit on a dub by going back and dubbing an already released show, it's probably riskier at this point to go back and redub Clannad than it would have been to dub it in the first place.

So, I think that what it comes down to at this point is that Neo-ADV is in a tight financial position and likely will be for a while, so they're being really cautious about what they do in order to make sure that they stay alive. Once they've completely stabilized and have a fair amount of cash on hand, they'll almost certainly go back to dubbing stuff on a regular basis (though likely never all of it). Whether that's months from now or years from now, only time will tell.

But I think that it's premature to say that Neo-ADV doesn't want to dub anything or that they "hate" dubs. They're undoubtedly in a tight financial situation and being cautious. The only ways we're going to make it so that they start dubbing stuff is to buy stuff from them, get other people to buy stuff from them, and let them know that we're interested in dubs from them. Until they're in a solid financial position, I expect that no shows which aren't guaranteed to make a profit with a dub are going to get one - not because Neo-ADV doesn't want to dub them, but because it's too risky for them to do so.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Almaz wrote:

They actually might not be able to. It's not publicly known what the state of those titles are with regards to seasons beyond the first. Geneon may or may not have the rights to them. And if they do, they aren't getting released at this point because Geneon isn't releasing anything new.

Most of the old Geneon titles that Funimation has been releases have been released by Funimation for Geneon, and Funimation doesn't have the rights to them at all. They've bought a few from Geneon, and if Geneon has the rights to the future seasons of any the shows that it has first seasons for, then perhaps Funimation could buy them from them, but maybe it would be too expensive, or they can't do it for some other reason. We really don't know what the situation is.

And unfortunately, the truth could simply be that the first seasons haven't sold well enough for anyone to license the remaining seasons - especially if they were looking to dub it like Funimation would be. We really don't know what the situation is with shows like Shakugan no Shana. We don't know how well they've sold. And we don't know what the current situation is with the licenses for their seasons beyond their first.

And the situation with Hell Girl is totally different from the situation with old Geneon titles. With Hell Girl, Funimation itself licensed and dubbed the first season and appears to have decided that it would be unprofitable to license the second. With the old Geneon titles, they had nothing to do with producing them. They're only distributing them for Geneon, not taking over the licenses.

And unfortunately, the bare truth with regards to shows like Big Windup! or Hell Girl is almost certainly that they just didn't sell well enough to merit Funimation licensing any more of them (certainly in the case of Big Windup! we know that that's what happened). If not enough people buy the show for Funimation to make a profit, then Funimation won't get more of it. As much as it sucks for the fan, it makes good business sense for Funimation, and it would be foolish of Funimation to shell out money for a show that they won't make money on. One of the big reasons that Funimation is currently king of the hill in the R1 anime market is that they've shown better business sense than many of the other R1 anime companies. And sometimes that means dropping a show that fans don't want to see dropped, or not picking up a show that they want picked up.

I certainly don't like it when shows don't get licensed beyond their first season or when subsequent seasons go undubbed, but unfortunately, unless shows sell well enough to be profitable, they aren't going to be licensed. And when a company has a policy of dubbing everything (like Funimation does), any show they license is going to have to sell that much better for it make sense for the company to license more it. For this kind of thing to stop happening, the R1 anime market is going to need to recover and regain at least some of what it had during the anime bubble. Until then, things like licenses getting dropped or future seasons not getting picked up will unfortunately continue to happen.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Okay, people, we have gotten multiple complaints about this thread within the past 13 hours and, in just looking back at the past three pages, I have seen multiple violations of forum standards. The following points will be corrected for all future posts or this thread will be locked.

1. NO SERIAL POSTING!!! There are three forumites - Rinwolf (especially!), Almaz, and Kalessin - who are guilty of this, in the former two cases on multiple occasions. If you want to respond to multiple different posts then cut and paste what you're responding to into one big post rather than 2-4 straight smaller ones. (I find this easiest to do by just opening each post I'm responding to in separate tabs.) If you see more you want to respond to after you make your response post then just go back and Edit your post if no one else has posted yet. This is required by forum standards and people who continue to violate it may find themselves Moderated for a while.

2. No Soapboxing. This one is mostly directed at Rinwolf. Responding to comments is one thing, but you're bordering on preaching about "ADV Zombie" and bordering on getting out of hand with it. People are complaining.

3. No Insulting Other Forumites. This one is also directed mostly at Rinwolf but everyone needs to watch it on this. Calling fellow forumites "idiots" because they don't see things the way you do is not acceptable. If this continues, it could get you tempbanned.

There are other minor problems, too, but these are the main ones that could potentially draw heavy consequences.

Now, about the issues that have certain people riled up here: as someone who has made it practically a personal crusade to track Sentai's problems with typos in their dubs, I fully agree that this is not a good business practice. However, Sentai has done a truly remarkable job of late in turning out some titles with an astonishingly quick turn-around by R1 DVD release standards; for instance, the first half of Tears to Tiara - all 13 episodes - came out less than two months after the series finished airing on Japanese TV. Funimation has never even come close to equaling this. In general, the turn-around time between licensing announcement and actual release is far quicker for Sentai than for any other studio licensing anime for R1 distribution right now. Now, granted, that's partly because they aren't dubbing it or (apparently) exercising full diligence in editing their subtitles, but they are providing fans what they want: speedier turn-arounds on series releases.

Concerning Sentai not dubbing things: the people running Sentai now are exactly the same people who ran ADV. Matt Greenfield is still the head guy, I still see mostly the same names in the English credits, and my contact for getting mailers from them for my reviews (I'm the reviewer Theron Martin, for those who don't know) is the same person as for ADV in its pre-licensing fiasco era. They have apparently decided, as a business decision, to focus on the more niche market titles, and niche market titles have always had a problem turning a profit if dubbed. ADV gambled too much on titles like that in the past, and that is partly what got them into trouble. (It also contributed massively to sinking Geneon, incidentally.) Without dubbing titles, their threshold for making a profit is much lower, so they might even be able to break even by just selling a couple thousand copies. (And some anime titles don't sell more than that per volume.) That's what allows them to put out titles like Clannad.

And make no mistake here: Clannad is a niche title, especially in terms of sales. The whole franchise is, in fact, and from what I've heard, sales for the first two parts (Air, Kanon) were far from impressive. They are series designed and produced specifically for hard-core anime fans with little chance of attracting a broader audience. Despite claims you might see online, they don't have massive hordes of fans looking to actually buy their DVDs. While a few of Clannad's fans have been very vocal around here about not wanting to buy it if it wasn't dubbed, the actual number of people refusing to buy it solely on those grounds (at least if they're being honest with themselves) is vastly smaller than the number of sales which would be needed to offset the costs of dubbing. Most dub-favoring Clannad fans, while they may gripe, are at least willing to take sub-only to get what they want. And a sizable number of Clannad fans are perfectly happy to buy a sub-only release because they never watch dubs anyway. Ultimately the sales Sentai is losing for not having the dub on that one probably numbers only in the low hundreds at most. That wouldn't be enough to pay for dubbing more than a couple of episodes.

That's true of a lot of Sentai's recent pick-ups. Would I like to see them get back to dubbing things again? Sure, but at least they're releasing stuff on DVD that, in many cases, probably wouldn't get a Stateside release otherwise. Besides, IIRC, Matt Greenfield has publicly stated that they have not ruled out dubbing things again in the future if they get something they think would be popular enough to warrant it. I don't see either of these titles fitting that bill, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigSpoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
As much as I would hate to admit it, I does seem as I come off as being ungrateful. But, ADV Films turning into ADV Zombie. Yeah it's moving and yeah there is activity to some extent but they are not what they were before and are a hold different "thing" now.

Don't get me wrong, I liked ADV Films, very much so. I enjoyed their work but seeing them get turned into this pitiful state is just sad.

Ya I agree with this part. Sub only releases isn't too bad but wow 100% sub is doing pretty bad. And NO not all there titles are small, i think a few would have performed better being dubbed and targeted to the mass rather than the sub market... ADV is like a wounded dog at the moment, very heart breaking seeing this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I would say ADV/Section23 is quite alive and healthy since they've announced a somewhat large number of new licenses recently.

Now Bandai on the other-hand... I think they're about to be put to sleep. No new licenses that I can recall (other than Unicorn?), and nearly everything they release gets delayed at least once or twice.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Almaz wrote:

I would have mentioned those titles too; however, I do not think Funimation could do anything since they are Geneon's titles. I do not know if Geneon still has the rights to the sequels.

How about Ikken Tousen? Media Blasters got that one, all though the second season and on where done by a differant studio. But still, at least Media Blasters is trying to finish shows that are left hanging.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
1. NO SERIAL POSTING!!! There are three forumites - Rinwolf (especially!), Almaz, and Kalessin - who are guilty of this, in the former two cases on multiple occasions.

??? I only posted twice on this thread (well, before this post anyway). Granted, they were in a row, but they were on two different topics. One was a response to the article and the thread in general, while the other was a response to a particular post. Granted, those were long, but it made more sense to me make them separate (though, given how long they ended up being, it's probably better that they weren't one post). I've never serial posted unless I was responding to different people.

If my posts in this thread were a problem, I'm sorry. But I find it odd for me to be called out as being a big problem in this thread when I just posted a couple of messages at the end. I have not been actively involved in this forum discussion, and I certainly didn't think that I was doing anything wrong. Sorry if I caused a problem. I was not aware that serial posting was considered a problem when they were responses to different posts.

Last edited by Kalessin on Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Now, I have yet seen any of the subpar subs that Rinkwolf have mentioned. Nor has he shown any of these defects. I can only come up with is he can only deal with dubs.

Sorry if I cam off seeing as a Sub Hater, but to clear things up, I Don't hate subs. I just enjoy dubs more then subs. But if a series doesn't have a dub then I will watch it subbed. However, if a series has a dub I will more then likely watch that one first.

I do understand why people like subs, for things like, speeder releases, no need to wait over a year for a show to make it over hear and a bigger selection of shows (a lot of show will never get a R1 release). I myself don't watch subs because I like the voice actors, (which some I like) but for that fact that I like a show and am more then aware that the show has a slim to no chance of being licensed and even lower chance of being dubbed. I tend to watch show in sub that I practically know, that they will never get released in R1.

However, if there is a dub I will more then likely to watch it first and you can almost always rewatch a dub. While on the other hand, rewatching a sub is too tiresome and near impossible to do for me (I hope others can sympathize with this claim). I've tried on many occasions and either end up skipping through parts that I already know every well or just stopped right after the first episode. Take Minami-ke for example, the show is hilarious and witty but I can't rewatch it despite the fact that I liked it very much. Where as I was able to rewatch Full Metal Panic Fumommu numerous times (dubbed, 5 to be exact and still counting). There are shows that I wouldn't dare watch is sub, like Black Lagoon and Gantz, which will loose all their taste to me if it didn't have a english dub. I mean I couldn't take it serious enough, having to read what they say and not actually hearing it. There is a void of emotion to me if there is no dub because I'm caught up on trying to read what they say and don't seem to pay attention to how it's being said.

To summarize, I don't hate subs but I chose dubs over subs any day. For reasons like missing what is happening in a show because my eyes are glue to the bottom of the screen instead of actually watching what is happening. However, if a show is really good, I will watch it in sub if I have too. I won't pass up a chance of seeing a show I like to the lack of a dub. However, if I was reassured that there could be a dub to a show then I would gladly wait a year to see it. I guess I'm more patent then some fans.

That would explain why funimation title are a much higher priority to me then most or even all of ADV Zombies titles are.

To put it simply, if I wanted to read, I would read manga, which I do, but shows I would like to enjoy without having to read every line. That is my anime experience.

Also, sorry to all the people I may have annoyed in this article forum. It's just that one person said something that ticked me off (read my first comment on this forum) and you all had to suffer for it. Sorry for that. I will just end by saying that I'm clearly not happy with the direction ADV Zombie (I'm keeping that name not out of hate but because that name fits them every well) is headed. So, sorry to the Moderator Key also I have to agree with Kalessin in the fact that he is not at fault here and that he was not actively involved in the ranting (which was mostly me) so he should be void of blame hear. Thanks to all the people that put up with my rant hear and I must say that this has been very "Educational". lol Razz

Quote:
I think Rinwolf was just blowing off steam. Hopefully we can all kiss and make up.

..... you got me there, and thank you Almaz for reasoning with me this whole time, you have given me a few more things to think about and I hope you can say the same about me. Well this will be my last comment on this topic as well.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16