• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Asu no Yoichi, Eyeshield 21, Hell Girl 2

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdhd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
sdhd wrote:
Yes!Looking forward to Eyeshield 21. Will the translation be those on Crunchyroll?

I would think ADV would use their own subs. I would think even Rinkwolf would agree that Cruchyroll's subs was worse than ADV's. I have seen numerous sub problems from no text, spelling errors, wrong names and words.

The reason why I ask because MX Media did the translation on Crunchyroll for "Glass Mask," which was license and released by Section23. Also, MX Media did the translation on CR for "Eyeshield 21." The "Glass Mask" translation had typos on the dvds which were the same as on CR. It's a quality issue. Will the translation be the same for "Eyeshield 21" without the honorifics? Also, will the translation be freed of typos on the dvds releases and the translation be consistent?
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Okay, people, we have gotten multiple complaints about this thread within the past 13 hours and, in just looking back at the past three pages, I have seen multiple violations of forum standards. The following points will be corrected for all future posts or this thread will be locked.

1. NO SERIAL POSTING!!! There are three forumites - Rinwolf (especially!), Almaz, and Kalessin - who are guilty of this, in the former two cases on multiple occasions. If you want to respond to multiple different posts then cut and paste what you're responding to into one big post rather than 2-4 straight smaller ones. (I find this easiest to do by just opening each post I'm responding to in separate tabs.) If you see more you want to respond to after you make your response post then just go back and Edit your post if no one else has posted yet. This is required by forum standards and people who continue to violate it may find themselves Moderated for a while.

My apologies. I was not familiar with that rule. I, on habit, try to break up different discussions. I find addressing multiple people at once like a large run on sentence of subjects. I would appreciate a private note on the issue than publicly being placed in the corner. After this comment, I will stay out of the forums and be silent.

As of the rest of your comments on the anime industry, I agree with. However, I think most of your comments were covered in the previous 10 pages in one form or another. Very Happy I think Rinwolf was just blowing off steam. Hopefully we can all kiss and make up.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Almaz wrote:
Now, I have yet seen any of the subpar subs that Rinkwolf have mentioned. Nor has he shown any of these defects. I can only come up with is he can only deal with dubs.

Sorry if I cam off seeing as a Sub Hater, but to clear things up, I Don't hate subs. I just enjoy dubs more then subs. But if a series doesn't have a dub then I will watch it subbed. However, if a series has a dub I will more then likely watch that one first.

I do understand why people like subs, for things like, speeder releases, no need to wait over a year for a show to make it over hear and a bigger selection of shows (a lot of show will never get a R1 release). I myself don't watch subs because I like the voice actors, (which some I like) but for that fact that I like a show and am more then aware that the show has a slim to no chance of being licensed and even lower chance of being dubbed. I tend to watch show in sub that I practically know, that they will never get released in R1.

However, if there is a dub I will more then likely to watch it first and you can almost always rewatch a dub. While on the other hand, rewatching a sub is too tiresome and near impossible to do for me (I hope others can sympathize with this claim). I've tried on many occasions and either end up skipping through parts that I already know every well or just stopped right after the first episode. Take Minami-ke for example, the show is hilarious and witty but I can't rewatch it despite the fact that I liked it very much. Where as I was able to rewatch Full Metal Panic Fumommu numerous times (dubbed, 5 to be exact and still counting). There are shows that I wouldn't dare watch is sub, like Black Lagoon and Gantz, which will loose all their taste to me if it didn't have a english dub. I mean I couldn't take it serious enough, having to read what they say and not actually hearing it. There is a void of emotion to me if there is no dub because I'm caught up on trying to read what they say and don't seem to pay attention to how it's being said.

To summarize, I don't hate subs but I chose dubs over subs any day. For reasons like missing what is happening in a show because my eyes are glue to the bottom of the screen instead of actually watching what is happening. However, if a show is really good, I will watch it in sub if I have too. I won't pass up a chance of seeing a show I like to the lack of a dub. However, if I was reassured that there could be a dub to a show then I would gladly wait a year to see it. I guess I'm more patent then some fans.

That would explain why funimation title are a much higher priority to me then most or even all of ADV Zombies titles are.

To put it simply, if I wanted to read, I would read manga, which I do, but shows I would like to enjoy without having to read every line. That is my anime experience.

Also, sorry to all the people I may have annoyed in this article forum. It's just that one person said something that ticked me off (read my first comment on this forum) and you all had to suffer for it. Sorry for that. I will just end by saying that I'm clearly not happy with the direction ADV Zombie (I'm keeping that name not out of hate but because that name fits them every well) is headed. So, sorry to the Moderator Key also I have to agree with Kalessin in the fact that he is not at fault here and that he was not actively involved in the ranting (which was mostly me) so he should be void of blame hear. Thanks to all the people that put up with my rant hear and I must say that this has been very "Educational". lol Razz

Quote:
I think Rinwolf was just blowing off steam. Hopefully we can all kiss and make up.

..... you got me there, and thank you Almaz for reasoning with me this whole time, you have given me a few more things to think about and I hope you can say the same about me. Well this will be my last comment on this topic as well.

I understand your fustraition Rinkwolf and accept you apology, but you need to understand the way the industry works. First of all the Region 1 anime market has been recovering from a collaspe that it suffered from in late 2007, second not everything can be dubbed. The title has to be guarenteed a heathly profit if investing into a billingal release is worth it. You can just dub everything that's licensed if you're not aware, Pioneer/Geneon USA paid a HEAVY price for this two and a half years ago.

Dubbing costs money, time,effort and comes with a price. Mostly everything that Funimation licenses sell strong enough because Funimation has mainstream titles, the trouble is is that because you have find auditions for roles and a strict deadline is applied to billingal releases. Also R1 labels can lose a fortune on returns if the DVDs don't sell well enough. Funimation has already abandoned finishing several of it's series due to lackluster sales. They've also be considering sub releases as well after years of saying NO to "sub only" titles.

The anime industy is only a multi-million dollar medium. They don't have the pockets of Hollywood and henceforth cannot afford to lose money on dub investments. Section23 is still trying to restucture from the Sojitz disaster of 2008. They aren't some so called "ADV Zombie". Until they find a larger investor they cannot risk dubbing thier licenses which don't have a large enough base to justify a dub.

Even once they do find one, Section23 will likely only dub at least half a dozen titles a year, which is enough to fill the quota of a normal R1 label.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Pioneer/Geneon USA paid a HEAVY price for this two and a half years ago.

You also have to count illegal steaming as well cause most of the Geneon licenses were illegaly streamed online and before coming to the US they were fansubbed. You cant blamed on them dubbing every series they have. If their Japan counterpart have done something about the those online fansubs and if the US had more backbone on those illegal streamers, they probably would have survived.

Quote:
The anime industy is only a multi-million dollar medium. They don't have the pockets of Hollywood and henceforth cannot afford to lose money on dub investments. Section23 is still trying to restucture from the Sojitz disaster of 2008. They aren't some so called "ADV Zombie". Until they find a larger investor they cannot risk dubbing thier licenses which don't have a large enough base to justify a dub.

So your saying that Shouen Jump series like Gintama and Eyeshield 21 dont have a large base to merrit a dub??? You must be joking or got head in the sand.

I can understand Asu no Yoichi ( Samuari Harem ) might not get a dub though i had hoped it got one cause unfortunately in the US harem series and fanservice series have not been given a fair shake here unless it's either from the Tenchi series or it's from Negima & Love Hina's creator.

However very long series and popular series like gintama and eyeshield definately merrits for a dub and everyone here that are a hardcore dubber like me will agree with me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

However very long series and popular series like gintama and eyeshield definately merrits for a dub and everyone here that are a hardcore dubber like me will agree with me.

I only think that works when the long running series has a TV deal in place, like Inuyasha, Bleach and Naruto. Without a TV deal to give the title exposure outside of the normal circles, profiting from dubbing is a risky proposition.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I only think that works when the long running series has a TV deal in place, like Inuyasha, Bleach and Naruto. Without a TV deal to give the title exposure outside of the normal circles, profiting from dubbing is a risky proposition.

Agreed. Gintama might have a "large" fanbase on internet forums, but they are relatively small compared to the amount of people that need to buy the series to make it profitable.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Agreed. Gintama might have a "large" fanbase on internet forums, but they are relatively small compared to the amount of people that need to buy the series to make it profitable.

Not only that, but let's not forget Funimations attempts with Big Windup. Sports anime here don't seem to sell very well, so I'm very doubtful that Eyeshield 21 would have sold nearly enough to have paid for a dub.

And jr0904, honestly, saying that most hardcore dubbers think that a show merits a dub doesn't really mean anything. It seems that every single show that has been announced as sub-only has had at least one dub fan claiming that it would have sold huge numbers if only it had been dubbed. A lot of these shows, like Marimite, or Toradora would not probably not sell the required numbers to recoup a dub. The thinking for which shows to dub is not 'What do a few people on an anime message board want?' but 'What would the average, casual anime viewer want?'.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
Except, Gintama is a high caliber show along the same lines as Inuyasha, Bleach, Naruto,ect. There was absolutely no excuse not to dub Gintama and to say they would have lost money dubbing it and it's too niche a show is just being pessimistic.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Except, Gintama is a high caliber show along the same lines as Inuyasha, Bleach, Naruto,ect. There was absolutely no excuse not to dub Gintama and to say they would have lost money dubbing it and it's too niche a show is just being pessimistic.

Yes, but shows like Naruto and Inuyasha had or have TV deals in place. The amount paid for each episodes airing can help defray the cost of the dub substantially, depending on the network.

Gintama has no such TV deal and has a lot more cultural references. It is also considerably less popular here in the US. For the most part, Gin Tama is only popular among more hard core fans. In fact, its nearly guaranteed it won't be. If the show had much of a chance to come over and sell well dubbed, Viz would have already grabbed it.

Plus, don't forget that long series almost never get finished dubbed, especially without a TV deal. If they had dubbed the show, it's much less likely that the show will be finished.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

I'll take a pessimistic company that's still kicking over a delusional, I'm sorry, "optimistic" company that just announced went under. And I'll take the complete Gintama series over a few dubbed boxsets that only have a fraction of the series and that's the end of it.

One Piece, for example, is selling just well enough that FUNi seems to think they might be able to finish it. I guarantee you OP's fanbase in the States is a good deal larger than Gintama's. I'm not knocking Gintama, it's a terrific series IMHO, but the number of fans (or buying fans, for that matter) just isn't there. And I'm a major dub fan, so no one can accuse me of being biased in my desire.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
Well this sucks, maybe I shouldn't even bother watching Season 1 of Hell Girl since Season 2 will never get an english dub.

That'll show 'em. Razz

I was being serious, and I can tell you were being sarcastic.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

.... a high caliber show with no high profile TV broadcast that those shows had, and has sat in Japan for a considerable amount of time. If Funimation or VIZ were going to bother turning it into the next big thing, they would of done so by now.

The manga hasn't set sales high either. I figure something whose manga sales are super high like Vampire Knight or Rosario+Vampire is more likely to get dubbed than Gintama (for that matter, I'm pretty sure VIZ's release of VK will have a dub)

Sentai's release acknowledge's it's good enough show to license, and one with an audience who wants to buy it, just not as big of an audience compared to the number of people who watch it for free legally online (I imagine they have access to Crunchy Rolls numbers, which probably helps decide whether or not to license a show, and whether or not to dub it) or the number of people who just bootleg it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
Well this sucks, maybe I shouldn't even bother watching Season 1 of Hell Girl since Season 2 will never get an english dub.

That'll show 'em. Razz

All that'll do is tell them no one wants the 3rd season. Not really succeeding in anything, hence the sarcasm they deployed I guess.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:

That'll show 'em. Razz

All that'll do is tell them no one wants the 3rd season. Not really succeeding in anything, hence the sarcasm they deployed I guess.

I changed my mind on the matter, if they never dub season 2, I'll just watch Seasons 1 & 2 subbed and Season 3 whenever that gets licensed and released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16