• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Asu no Yoichi, Eyeshield 21, Hell Girl 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ki918

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is this the start of a new trend? When Funimation decides not to finish something, Section23 will?

I hope so. It would be nice to have The Story of Saiunkoku Season 2 and Higurashi Kai over here.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
good luck with eyeshield. I mean viz failed with prince of tennis and funi failed with big windup, hope it works out.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This isn't really about THIS license, but I've noticed something interesting in the R2 industry. The complete Bluray editions of Mai Hime, Mai Otome and Kanon that came out in Japan had English subtitles. Otome and Hime had English dubs as well. Could this mean the R2 is sick of R1 and trying things out with English subs for themselves? Clannad is also going to have English subs on it's Blurays, but no English dub since it was never made. This COULD mean the end of R1 if Japanese companies start adding English subs to their releases. It would stop the fear or reverse import as well. It would kill dubs.

The terms 'R2' and 'R1' are meaningless when talking about Blu-ray. Japan and America are both 'RA'.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
This isn't really about THIS license, but I've noticed something interesting in the R2 industry. The complete Bluray editions of Mai Hime, Mai Otome and Kanon that came out in Japan had English subtitles. Otome and Hime had English dubs as well. Could this mean the R2 is sick of R1 and trying things out with English subs for themselves? Clannad is also going to have English subs on it's Blurays, but no English dub since it was never made. This COULD mean the end of R1 if Japanese companies start adding English subs to their releases. It would stop the fear or reverse import as well. It would kill dubs.

The terms 'R2' and 'R1' are meaningless when talking about Blu-ray. Japan and America are both 'RA'.

Normally when people talk about "R2" or "R1" blu-rays they're using that to mean "distributed by a japanese company" or "distributed by a US company"... not about any region coding.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Not so much - unless Japanese companies start DRASTICALLY cutting their prices. For example the Japanese Kanon Blu-ray set can be purchased from amazon.co.jp for the rock-bottom price of...

...$520 U.S. So, no, I don't think R1 companies are working up much of a sweat.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I figure Sentai's dubbing Appleseed to add more incentive to check out the bluray edition, which will probably be a big seller if past editions of this Appleseed are any indication. It's likely they'll end up moving a lot of copies, so the investment of a under-2-hour dub for a potential big seller makes more sense than creating 6.5 hours of new audio for something that only hardcore fans are likely to buy. I have the original Geneon release, and Applseed is indeed VERY shiny, it's one of those titles that would really benefit from a bluray release (which seems best suited to theatrical films), moreso then TV animation.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Eyeshield 21. The manga is hilarious, so I just may go for it.

Re- Japanese Bluray releases with english dubs- I don't think this is that big of a deal, especially since the ones you listed were from Bandai Entertainment, who are just the domestic branch of Bandai Namco's anime division, and have already completed releases here. Their release of the Gundam Unicorn BluRay is just them importing the copies that have been printed in Japan, so it wouldnb't surprise me to see them offer the same MyHime bluray set themselves online at some point, maybe at a lower price.

As for Clannad blurays with english subs, I think it would only become a concern if they had a competing product. Sentai's still taking a slow move on BluRay, which is way more expensive/troublesome to produce than DVD's, so they might just find it more profitable to stick to DVD's, and offer their english translation to the japanese companies [and depending on their license, they might be getting a cut of that, or at least a fee for their translation]

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
good luck with eyeshield. I mean viz failed with prince of tennis and funi failed with big windup, hope it works out.

And Geneon failed with Hajime No Ippo and Toei USA failed with Slam Dunk (although in the case of the latter that was more due to foolishness on the licensor's part).

On a serious note, hopefully this is a sign that they can rescue more unfinished Viz titles in the future.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I too am VERY UPSET at Funimation for not picking up Hell Girl 2. I really liked the dub. However, anger aside, I am happy it atleast got licensed. Sentai is probably now my favorite group, just because they are picking up shows I like. Now if they would only start dubbing stuff, I think they could overtake Funimation.

Also HELL YEAH EYESHIELD 21! I remember when I heard that Funimation was not picking up sports anime anymore, I was worried about an Eyeshield 21 release. Now I got one yay! Maybe if I worry about Higurashi, Shakugan no Shana, and Minami-ke enough they will get released too.

And on a side note, they are releasing so many things so quickly I actually dont have enough money to buy them all considering I dont have alot of the stuff they have already released that I want. Anime hyper Anime cry
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

And Geneon failed with Hajime No Ippo and Toei USA failed with Slam Dunk (although in the case of the latter that was more due to foolishness on the licensor's part).

On a serious note, hopefully this is a sign that they can rescue more unfinished Viz titles in the future.

I'm guessing being subtitled only will help. Maybe if sales are decent, they might give Prince of Tennis a try in the future, since apparently they now have an in on getting Shonen Jump titles [or at least, an in on the ones that aren't likely to get on TV], this following getting Gintama.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why they can redub an older series yet not dub newer ones either.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ki918 wrote:
Quote:
Is this the start of a new trend? When Funimation decides not to finish something, Section23 will?

I hope so. It would be nice to have The Story of Saiunkoku Season 2 and Higurashi Kai over here.

Ooh, Saiunkoku... Good point. Yeah, if Funimation doesn't pick that up by the end of this con season (along with Kyo Kara Maoh's 3rd season and Spice & Wolf's 2nd season) then I'll be rooting for Sentai to pick those up, too.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Within hours of this announcement, TRSI has posted listings on their catalog for Samurai Harem (Asu no Yoichi) and Eyeshield 21 Collection 1. I enjoy the convenience of the Internet and the speed at which information is relayed.

That said, I do have a gripe with the pricing issue of said titles. I was surprised to see that both upcoming titles are priced at $49.98. When compared with recent releases from Sentai such as Maria-Holic and To Love Ru Collection 1 which are both priced $39.98, it seems a little overpriced.

My question is: Why are we paying more for less?

I know that Sentai is still a fledgling company but do they have to charge so much for bare bones subtitled-only releases with minimal extras?
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I don't get why they can redub an older series yet not dub newer ones either.

To quote my earlier post-

"It's likely they'll end up moving a lot of copies (of Appleseed), so the investment of a under-2-hour dub for a potential big seller makes more sense than creating 6.5 hours of new audio for something that only hardcore fans are likely to buy"

To sum it up, Appleseed on BluRay is easier to dub, and probably more profitable. Geneon moved close to a million copies when they first released it on DVD, and both Sentai and Warner have probably been doing well with it and the sequel since then, so it probably makes lots of sense.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:

I know that Sentai is still a fledgling company but do they have to charge so much for bare bones subtitled-only releases with minimal extras?

Maybe they had to pay more for the licenses? I dunno. I don't even know if we should really be considering Sentai a "fledgling" company, seeing as it's just ADV with a new name...
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
The Naked Beast wrote:

Maybe they had to pay more for the licenses? I dunno. I don't even know if we should really be considering Sentai a "fledgling" company, seeing as it's just ADV with a new name...

They charged 59.98 for Ghost Hound, an earlier of their subbed releases, so Ièm guessing it is a case by case basis. Funimation charges differing prices for their season sets too from 39.98 for Sasami to 59.98 for Soul Eaer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16