• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The death of the anime collector.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
I would like to have a "safety net." In case, what if the website that hosts the anime goes under or computer breaks down? Account gets stolen or future internet regulations that might speed down opposing websites? There are more concerns, but having it in physical form insures me that if things go wrong, I can still watch my anime, especially in the long run. Same way I feel with manga.

But I do admit, like some here have said, I don't really have a lot of space. If push comes to shove, I would like to have some sort of program that keeps track of my online purchases and physical and that I can choose which to have. That way when I have the space, I can get the physical version. I will pay extra for something like that, but its just a dream.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't care for obtaining my entertainment through online means, whether it be streaming or what have you. I've only watched a handful of episodes online and it was a less than satisfying experience. I much prefer physical media and I will likely always be a collector.

Online distribution will undoubtedly become more prevalent, but I don't think physical media will entirely disappear. There will always be collectors who want hard copy and where there's demand someone will find a way to legally supply. When CD's became the norm many thought the vinyl LP was dead, but it's actually very much alive and well. Modern pressings are on thicker, more stable vinyl and are of considerably higher quality than in their heyday of the 60's and 70's. They cost more too, and modern turntables to play them on can be quite expensive, but they sound better than any digital form and there are people who are willing to pay the price. I can see the same thing happening with video if digital distribution should become the norm. I don't see it happening anytime real soon, though. The publishers have yet to figure out a way to make it reliably profitable, which is kind of important.

Zin5ki wrote:
Unfortunately, nearly every collector of physical media will have to accept the unavailability of the titles that fall out of print or fail to be licensed in their language. In effect, most collections will always be incomplete in the eyes of their owners.

If and when the latest optical format ousts DVDs as the primary medium of choice within the anime industries, it is quite probable that numerous titles shan't be re-released through the more modern disc type, and shall thereby be confined to used auctions. Such a phenomenon might add to the frustration of current and future collectors.

I guess you could say that this is the curse of the collector. No collection is ever really complete. It can indeed be frustrating, but the hunt for a rare item can also be exciting. And expensive.
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I am 25 and have fully converted to digital distribution. Admittedly, I was never a huge collector; I own around 10 DVD volumes and a bunch of VHS from the old days. However, I just prefer how digital distribution and cloud storage works.

My viewing rights to a digital copy cannot break, burn in a fire or get lost. I am able to view the anime I have paid to see anywhere there is an access point that I can type my password into. This is the same reason I fully support Steam for my gaming needs.

Of course, with digital ownership you can become the victim of hackers and whatnot, but if you step carefully around the internet you can easily avoid these problems.

However, this does not mean that I am opposed to people who prefer physical ownership. In fact, I fully understand the deeper bond you form with items that you can look at on your shelf and and physically touch. Personally, I have just adapted for convenience, and the fact that I have become somewhat obsessed with video quality. I use a very large monitor so there is a glaring difference between 480p and 1080p. And sadly, Blu-Rays are very expensive and I don't even own a player.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't quite understand why the colector is a dieing breed...

Allow me to help you understand from my personal experience.

On February 12, 2009, I started buying anime box sets with my purchase of Shakugan no Shana. I know this because the receipt's right inside the first disk case. From this date, I've spent more than $3,000 on plastic disks.

I DESPISE the majority of this collection. Of my 175 titles, I'd venture to say less than 25 would remain in my collection. The rest is, quite frankly, not worth owning.

Worse, my first love of figure collecting has taken a nose dive with new additions. Despite a decent salary, I can no longer afford both collections. One must go and the choice is obvious.

I dare anyone to try and convince me a chip board box is better looking than this.

2010 marks the last year I buy anime box sets*. In 2011, I return to investing my money into figure collecting, where it's been for the past 8+ years.
*unless the series is worth owning, of course

Finally, something to think about: Ask those who still buy box sets why they wait for prices to drop before purchasing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I'm about to be 24 and have been an anime DVD collector for a good 6-7 years now, though only the past few years have I really been purchasing a lot of titles. I buy mainly to support the industry that I love and to actually own a legal physical copy of something I love. If I had a bookshelf in my room (I'm in a ~300 sq ft. efficiency and there just isn't much room) then I might be able to have them for decorative purposes, but for right now I have four very large cardboard boxes filled with anime DVDs. I do have plenty of wallscrolls for decorative purposes and a few of my pretty artboxes on window sills and that.

Not sure I'll make the switch to digital format. I mean, if I do then prices will have to be a LOT cheaper than DVD since they don't have to buy the cases, discs, or the machinery used to make them, so the episodes (which really don't cost anything to make other than server bandwidth) will need to be really cheap since I won't have any physical product I own.
burntlettuce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure they said something about the economy downturn as being one of the reasons and I have to say I agree with this. My family was hit pretty hard and I am now struggling to make tuition for school. I don't have the extra cash to slug around on anime DVD's so I can satisfy my collector self. I still buy when I can, but money is so tight that isn't often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I DESPISE the majority of this collection. Of my 175 titles, I'd venture to say less than 25 would remain in my collection. The rest is, quite frankly, not worth owning.

Whoa, that's a brutal ratio. I thought I was bad for selling/trading 16 of the roughly 130 anime TV titles I've purchased so far. (There will be more as I watch and finish more of my backlog - yeah, that's right Love Hina! I'm alookin' at you.)

Have you considered doing more extensive sampling before plunking down cash for a series?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
As many have already said on this topic, I personally prefer collecting dvds over purely digital means. I may not have the biggest collection (as a result of low income, it's a shame) but I still love to buy new dvds and manga every chance I get. And don't get me wrong I've tried the whole digital root before, but it just feels... empty. No matter what they do these digital copies just cant replace the feeling of actually buying a dvd with the art work on the covers and the ability to hold it in your own two hands. Plus they don't have the special features or the ability to put them on display to show off to your other anime friends. Really the buying the digital versions just makes me feel like I'm paying to download a torrent, and that's not to fulfilling. To me torrents and streaming are basically just a way to watch anime for the first time to see if I like it. After that I usually don't watch the anime again until I buy the dvd.

Also there's something philosophical to be said about the collectors, and human's desire to have physical copies. In fact Ghost in the Shell SAC briefly touched on this idea that no matter how digital our world becomes humans will always long for physical things no matter how out of date they become. That the physical things are what keep us here and are proof of our given individuality. Of course this might just be reading a bit to much into the topic.

However my devotion to collecting still remains. I'll never be satisfied with a purely digital copy. I'll always prefer the feel of holding the real thing in my hands. And being able to put it up on my shelf and see it displayed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
ArmchairTitan wrote:
My viewing rights to a digital copy cannot break, burn in a fire or get lost. I am able to view the anime I have paid to see anywhere there is an access point that I can type my password into.

Are you not in the least part aggravated by the red tape you (i.e. we) encounter?
If you aren't, I presume you're either uninterested in titles beyond our legal reach, or else that your online viewing habits compensate for such limitations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Aye it's true and that "red tape" will only become worse with the rise of digital ownership. However any determined collector would tell you that with Anime titles as with Women the longer the chase the sweeter the prize =)
Quote:

I dare anyone to try and convince me a chip board box is better looking than this.

A single undecorated chipboard box? No. A multitute of themed decorated ones have an appeal all their own. Your decision is of course valid for you if you hate your DVD colection Smile but not everyone is the same.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm a DVD collector as well and I own hundreds of anime series as well a lot of non-anime media. I'm really not into digital ownership. First of all because it's not comfortable watching things in my computer chair, secondly because I more into dubs, and thirdly because it just isn't as fun.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Are you not in the least part aggravated by the red tape you (i.e. we) encounter?
If you aren't, I presume you're either uninterested in titles beyond our legal reach, or else that your online viewing habits compensate for such limitations.

For sure, the online distribution model in the west leaves a lot to be desired. I'm hoping it's something that will drastically improve over the next few years, especially with the financial crisis facing the anime industry. There is a lot more profit to be made overseas; they just need to establish a better grasp on the digital market.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Whoa, that's a brutal ratio.

Not to be confused with series I enjoyed watching but not enough to own as a box set.

Quote:
Have you considered doing more extensive sampling before plunking down cash for a series?

Yep, starting in 2011. Wink

Though, this time, I'm going back to figures first, series later. If FUNimation's reading this, they could contact AAA Anime, sell the figures directly, and give me the series free with purchase.

Because in the long run, this is exactly how it's going to work out.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, a figurine is an impractical and immovable object, about 10 minutes of entertainment which mostly involves assembling it and putting the base and weapons on it, and has no use other than collecting dust on a shelf and looking pretty.

An anime series is a practical object, about 650 minutes of entertainment not including any possible extras, can be watched more than once, and also looks good a shelf. Not to mention this option is slightly less likely to scare away the opposite sex.

DVD collecting is clearly more rewarding. Keep in mind I only knock the figure collecting hobby because I own a few. Razz
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

Well, a figurine is an impractical and immovable object, about 10 minutes of entertainment which mostly involves assembling it and putting the base and weapons on it, and has no use other than collecting dust on a shelf and looking pretty.

An anime series is a practical object, about 650 minutes of entertainment not including any possible extras, and can be watched more than once, and also looks good a shelf. Not to mention this option is slightly less likely to scare away the opposite sex.

DVD collecting is clearly more rewarding. Keep in mind I only knock the figure collecting hobby because I own a few. Razz

I love looking at figure collections. I have a male friend who has a good number of figures (about 20) and I could sit there for an hour just examining them. I wouldn't ever want to own any, but I can see where there is appeal to owning them.

He gets better comments than I do with my 30 or so DVD sets, people (other fans) are less impressed with dvds it seems.

I really like my collection. Unlike PJ, out of my 30 or so series, I only wish I could un-purchase 3 (Honey and Clover, Pretear, and Please Teacher!) not that I paid much for them to start. I even got a chuckle out of Sister Princess, which is a terrible, terrible show, and great to lend to your friends telling them how it gets good in the middle.

I don't own anything digitally (save a for a few episodes ones I got for free.) There is something to having the dvds and the box, and the extras. I don't get to see bloopers when I watch the show on funi's video portal. There are no commentary tracks on streams, and no previews either. And if they pull it off their website, or go out of business you are screwed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7