• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best movies to start with?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:08 am Reply with quote
Tiel08 wrote:
What is tokyo godfather all about? Is that the same with the GODFATHER in new york? the gangster / mafia?

It is not at all mafia, check the encylopedia. Three homeless people find a discarded baby in the trash during the Christmas season and try to track down the parents, giving a lot of reason for developing each of the excellent characters. I'd say this is one of the absolute best character-driven anime of all time.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
To start with, I suggest any Hayao Miyazaki movie - they're easily available, and they all have great dubs courtesy of Disney. I personally would start either with Spirited Away or Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. I would avoid Ponyo though, there's not much to get out of it if you're over 10.

After that, you could try Paprika and Akira. And if you like mecha, then download a fansub of Macross: Do you Remember Love.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
TBH I sometimes feel that the Miyazaki films are reccomended too readily. Sure if you are into a broad spectrum of Anime they will appeal. But for people looking for good action I don't think there is much to be had in Miyazaki's work.
Lodossdreams

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I would go a different way if you like sci fi go watch Macross II Movie, and Macross Plus Movie Edition.

I would also watch Rurouni Kenshin - Reminiscence, Ninja Scroll, Perfect blue, and Patlabor is a good 1 also.

There really are a lot of good anime movies to watch.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
I sometimes feel that the Miyazaki films are reccomended too readily.

Oh, dem's fightin words.

I agree that Studio Ghibli's films -- particularly Miyazaki's -- can be thought of to have little in common with the rest of anime. Even to the point that they might not be considered anime at all but instead their own category. There is a reason Disney would put so much budget into these films and almost nothing else that comes out of Japan.

Regardless, they can't be over-recommended.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
TBH I sometimes feel that the Miyazaki films are reccomended too readily. Sure if you are into a broad spectrum of Anime they will appeal. But for people looking for good action I don't think there is much to be had in Miyazaki's work.

I will agree that it's a slight mistake to recommend any Miyazaki film. It does depend on taste if you're going with an introduction. After the introduction of a movie that fits the more specific tastes of the person than they're likely to check out the ones that are slightly out of their "spectrum." The first Miyazaki I saw was Princess Mononoke, It's a great movie but it didn't make me want to immediately search out his other films, it was his sweeter films that really hooked me. But on the other hand others are the type to latch on to that one in particular and think less of the sweeter ones.

For a mix of that deft and sensitive Miyazaki touch and a traditional action storyline a person can't go wrong with his first movie, Castle of Cagliostro, which also introduces you to one of anime's superstar franchises in Lupin III.

for the fantasy action type fan (with a japanese feel) Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky or Howl's Moving Castle.

If the person likes Disney feel good films- Spiritied Away, Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Ponyo.

If the person wants thoughtful films about "life" or issues: Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart, Nausicaa again and the Ghibli films of his partner Takahata.

Not that one type of film excludes the other themes crossing over. All of his movies are intelligent and thoughtful, many despite the core part are cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh I quite agree that most of Miyazaki's work is pure quality. And that anyone with a habit of watching Anime should get round to them post haste. I just don't like the fact that it seems to have become the champion of Anime. If someone asks what to watch you say ... Miyazaki. As if that was somehow representative of the body of Anime. When really it isn't. I guess it's probably just a personal niggle tho hehe.
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll tell you what, when I first got into anime I never thought I'll be into romance, sports, shojo or studio ghibli type anime. When someone who is just getting introduced to anime there's no telling what type of genres they could potentially get into so instead of trying to play the role of the guru who just feels like they know so much more then everybody else and could just recommend a title of whatever genre to whatever crowd or fanbase, I rather just play the role of a critic who suggest titles that I personally enjoyed. I bet there was even a time when some of ya'll didn't even think you would like anime so keep an open mind.

Plus from a success ratio, from my experience Miyazaki films are a great introduction. Don't get me wrong I like Ghost in the Shell and Macross as much as the next guy but I think Miyazaki films have a better success rate as far as converting someone who is just starting so Ghibli films are good recommendations.

Last edited by ponlork on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ponlork wrote:
I'll tell you what, when I first got into anime I never thought I'll be into romance, sports, shojo or studio ghibli type anime. When someone who is just getting introduced to anime there's no telling what type of genres they could potentially get into so instead of trying to play the role of the guru who just feels like they know so much more then everybody else and could just recommend a title of whatever genre to whatever crowd or fanbase, I rather just play the role of a critic who suggest titles that I personally enjoyed. I bet there was even a time when some of ya'll didn't even think you would like anime so keep an open mind

But you, as any newbie, started in your comfort zone... which led you to eventually branch out.

If a person's only exposure to anime is Naruto... it may not be a great idea to immediately suggest Princess Tutu.... save that one for later.

If this thread does get closed for being a recommendation thread (which I thought would happen immediately) I think one of us should maybe restart this discussion as a "What is it that makes a good starting point in anime?" Thread. But the answer is most likely as above. Start with what you like and branch out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:
And if you like mecha, then download a fansub of Macross: Do you Remember Love.

I would err against doing this, unless one is already familiar with the Macross series. If one knows nothing of the cast prior to viewing the film, one will not be able to fully experience the somewhat visceral pleasure of this motion picture.

One does not need to impose a similar prerequisite to watching the Patlabor films however. I would second ZenErik's recommendation of them: they are very thoughtfully constructed, both brimming with moments of quiet and discerning insight.

Lodossdreams wrote:
I would go a different way if you like sci fi go watch Macross II Movie, and Macross Plus Movie Edition.

I have been lead to believe that the usual reaction to Macross II is one of dissatisfaction. Would you care to comment upon the way in which it compares to other titles in the franchise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I must object to the characterization of Mononoke Hime as "family-targeted." It is most definitely an "adult-oriented" movie with complex characters and a deep plot. Lady Eboshi is one of the most nuanced "villiains" (if you can call her that) in anime. The story presents the struggle between human "progress" and the natural environment in a way that offers no easy answers. This is the film that made me start paying attention to Japanese animation.

I'd agree that Spirited Away and most of Miyazaki's later works like Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo are oriented more toward family audiences. Nevertheless as someone approaching retirement age in the next few years, I put Mononoke Hime at the top of my list of anime films, followed by Kon's Millennium Actress. I have no trouble recommending either film to adults curious about anime.

If you're willing to dip your toe a little deeper in the anime pond, Angie, why not watch an episode or two of Monster and see what you think? The first episode is here.
Wow, I agree wholeheartedly with practically this entire post.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
ponlork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
ponlork wrote:
I'll tell you what, when I first got into anime I never thought I'll be into romance, sports, shojo or studio ghibli type anime. When someone who is just getting introduced to anime there's no telling what type of genres they could potentially get into so instead of trying to play the role of the guru who just feels like they know so much more then everybody else and could just recommend a title of whatever genre to whatever crowd or fanbase, I rather just play the role of a critic who suggest titles that I personally enjoyed. I bet there was even a time when some of ya'll didn't even think you would like anime so keep an open mind

But you, as any newbie, started in your comfort zone... which led you to eventually branch out.

If a person's only exposure to anime is Naruto... it may not be a great idea to immediately suggest Princess Tutu.... save that one for later.

If this thread does get closed for being a recommendation thread (which I thought would happen immediately) I think one of us should maybe restart this discussion as a "What is it that makes a good starting point in anime?" Thread. But the answer is most likely as above. Start with what you like and branch out.

Well I probably wouldn't recommend Naruto but I might recommend Ninja Scroll and that has nothing to do with what genre it is rather I factor in the quality of the films and if there's any preceding backstory or knowledge a person needs to know before they can enjoy a film. And I'm a big fan of Naruto I just thought the movies were lacking quality and was nuttin but a giant filler.

maybe I contradicted myself earlier when I said I'll recommend titles that only I personally enjoy, rather I would recommend titles that I feel are good starters for someone who's just getting their feet wet. And I take into account the quality and if there's anything they needa know first like I wouldn't recommend Excel Saga because I know they wouldn't get the parodies and without the parodies that show really isn't that great to begin with but I would recommend something like Haruhi Suzumiya. Or I wouldn't recommend Advent Children even though the fight scenes are good enough to win a newbie over. To me it has little to do with what genre it is and more to do with the quality. No matter how great someone thinks a title is I feel there are people who despise it, Gundam fans can hate Macross, DBZ fans can hate Naruto and Vice Versa so it's really hard for me to suggest a title base merely on the genre and the assumption that someone will like it
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
instead of trying to play the role of the guru who just feels like they know so much more then everybody else and could just recommend a title of whatever genre to whatever crowd or fanbase

You know what I kinda resent that. I make one small point and all of a sudden I am an arrogant jerk. I never made any claims of being any kind of "Guru" I merely voiced my opinion. I didn't talk down to or insult people either. Which you seem readily prepared to do.
Lodossdreams

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I have been lead to believe that the usual reaction to Macross II is one of dissatisfaction. Would you care to comment upon the way in which it compares to other titles in the franchise?

Well I can't say I was dissatisfied when I watched it. It was one of the first anime movies I ever watched and I really loved it maybe that is the reason why. I still love the movie to this day.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion 1.11 is really good. Giant robots, aliens, amazing animation, and a great story. Its the first in a 4-part series of movies (the 2nd movie will come out in english sometime next year).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2