• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant Killing (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Giant Killing

Can't see a thread for this yet, so eh.

Being English, football is engraved in our national identity. Football related fiction tends to be hit and miss, with as many own goals as there are hat tricks (see what I did there?). On a personal level, i've never seen a japanese 'take' on the beautiful game, so it was with great trepidation and anxiety I began watching this series.

The basic premise is thus: East Tokyo United stink. They've been the worst team in the league for a long while, and with the sacking of the manager (an annual event, it seems) it looks like this will be the season that relegates them into obscurity. Cue Takeshi Tatsumi, an ex-ETU player who left them in their heyday to ply his trade abroad, having been their talismanic figurehead. Having had some success as a manager in England, the ETU board decide to gamble on Tatsumi, the ex-ETU prodigy, being the man to turn their fortunes around.

Four episodes in, and I'm finding it so-so. The football sequences are decent enough so far, with the obligatory 'explanation' with each play. The expected clichés are also present and correct, and it's all wonderfully cheesy at the moment. No-hopers slowly being transformed into world beaters is something we've seen before, and who are Studio DEEN to buck this trend? Laughing

If one purpose of this anime is to raise Football's profile within Japan (Not sure how big the J-League is over there), then it's profile raising by numbers so far. I don't mind standard fare, and we were never going to see anything groundbreaking here... At the moment it's only the subject matter that keeps me watching. If Football isn't your thing, I can't see much to keep the casual anime fan interested here; Please tell me if I'm wrong in this assumption.

Oh, and the art? Not so impressive Rolling Eyes
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
well I didn't watch it, but from looking at the ratings people say it sucks.
Chazzon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a large anime watcher, I watch everything from Horror, action, mecha, Slice of life, an sports. I've watched a few soccer anime (football) I can't remember the title I'll edit it into this later. But so far I'm deeply enjoying this. Art is average, Nothing impressive or new. But the deep connection you gain from watching/listening to the players is very additive. Each player so far has had a little of there past exposed, Leaving alot of room for added depth as they progress on there "giant killing" travals. The new manager is made to be super smart, they make him seem this way by making him do nothing, Why? Heck if I know. I am looking forward to more details to come out as this series progresses. As it stands, I'll give this a 3/5. The personalitys of the players really adds to this.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
well I didn't watch it, but from looking at the ratings people say it sucks.

What? Like a ratings of .0003 or something?

Honestly I like the characters and the dynamics to them. But I will admit that it "feels" like nothing is really happening. But I don't find myself bored with it either. The sports action isn't something to be blown away with at this point either but the characters are interesting enough that I'll stick with it for a bit longer.

Also the intro song is super catchy.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Let's see. As one who was born in Italy, lived in Brazil, and now lives in England, I dislike Football overall. But if it's fused with my favorite pastime, it becomes likable.

The simplistic art doesn't really bother me, after all I'm the only one who's like "WTF?" whenever the commercials mention the incoming 3D football to sky sports. So, football and fancy stuff isn't really my thing(actually I dislike football because it's all about money nowadays).

Giant Killing is relaxing and perfect to watch at night.
Dolza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying this as well. It has a good pace, and the characters are interesting. I wish that the coach was not always "right" - and that he would have to adapt as well. But, it is staying on my viewing list.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:51 am Reply with quote
For all my previous criticism of the series so far, I actually enjoyed episode 5.

spoiler[A draw was entirely more credible than if they had snatched a 'miraculous' victory, I'm glad they opted for the more realistic result. In fact, the whole episode became more believable, with Tsubaki displaying that he can only play well when playing confidently, Prince being a lazy bastard and Murakoshi finding an extra dimension to his game.]

The interaction between Murakoshi and Tatsumi is getting more interesting as well, they're going to be on each other's backs the whole season at this rate, but that goes hand in hand with their development.

I've given this one a stay of execution, because I'm getting used to it's narrative a bit more now, and it doesn't try and stretch plausibility to breaking point.
farichada

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Been also enjoying this one, too, and I usually don't watch much sports anime. I also liked the more realistic approach in the last episode. So far Gino is my favorite character, but he's kinda lazy and a bit of an egotist, even more so than the coach! He just seems very distinct, and different compared to the other characters. Overall , I like the show remains both relaxed and inspirational at the same time. I always love stories about how an underdog team slow changes into something stronger, and there is an emphasis that this doesn't happen overnight.
Oaknut

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
As a football fan I'm really enjoying this series. I don't think most people without a basic working knowledge of the game will get much out of this though. I love the fact that it doesn't just focus on one rags to riches player, but includes a broader view of football from coaching issues, to player chemistry, and, so far, some storyline involving the workings of the front office. The locals fans and their connection to the team is also a nice backdrop to the main storyline. Honestly, it's one of the best series that I have seen in a while. But again, my appreciation for the game of football and the anime industry makes my viewpoint on this unique from your typical anime fan. I'm assuming it's no coincidence that this show has begun in the Spring only a few months before the World Cup.
Kevin R

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
spoiler[i thought they'd lose at the end but a tie was cool.]

I wanna see what happens when the season actually starts and the games get serious, I also want to know why tatsumi really left.

And prince is so far my favorite character, so lazy.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
I am kind of like the sports anti-fan. It doesn't matter which sport, I typically just don't care for it. I also tend to put a premium on shows that have amazing artwork. So it seems like this show wouldn't work for me, but it actually does.

The thing I like about this show is the thinking (strategizing) that goes on. Dolza said that it was bad that the coach was always right, but to me, that is the conceit of the show. Like, how could a little kid be responsible for gathering up the "clow cards"? If you let it get to you, you can't enjoy the show. Or maybe a closer analogy is how can Sherlock Holmes be so smart? He just is, and that's what makes the show.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This has been getting progressively better, on the downlow... The football tactics they're covering within are realistic and make sense, and the soul searching aspect for the characters isn't overplayed at this point. Episode 8, when placed next to Episode 1, shows good progression so far. The art style still makes my eyes bleed with sadness, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would after the first episode.

Now all we need is ETU to win a game Wink
guyheman

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I also enjoy football / soccer, and the show is just wetting my appetite for the World Cup. I'm not actually watching the show for the game itself, but to see how the characters grow with each other as they learn how to deal with losing and (eventually?) winning.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 10 -

Jose Roberto > Ze Roberto > Zelberto

It was a fun episode, but too bad it was a cliffhanger.
Had a few laughs every time Kuroda stopped one of Itagaki's attacks.

One thing that really bothered me was the player thinking/talking in English and Portuguese simultaneously. Purpose?

And a mistranslation. When he said "whoa" it was actually "Leave it to me."
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:47 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Ep. 10 - It was a fun episode, but too bad it was a cliffhanger.

Actually, I liked that. This match has the makings of EPIC. The opposing coach is slime. ETU needs a win or else they pretty much toss Tatsumi (in fact, firing him in that case would prolly be the safest thing for him, after the fan reaction to the last loss). Plus ETU is facing a real challenge, meaning this is the chance to actually do the Giant Killing the series has been promising.

Anyways, a fun episode. Got my adrenalin flowing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2