• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breakfast of Champions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
I'm not sure how Christian imagery and allegory nessisarly is a negative attribute. Considering how the show then turns it on it's head (like good science fiction tends to do)

Just for the record, that's not what I was saying.

I was speaking about Erin's original review, and how she uses it as ammo against the show.

And you're right, that sort of metaphorical belief exists in many religions and mythology in some form or another.

No she didn't her three main complaints where it ha a protaganist with Amnesia, the protaganist was suicidal,and it was depressing. She mentioned Christianity once, and it was to compare it to a plot point that she didn't ever complain about.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Has your husband watched any movies like Mad Max, The Road, A Boy & his Dog, or Book of Eli?

I asked him and here's what he had to say, and after this Noah is getting his own freaking forum account:

Erin's husband Noah wrote:
I'm actually a fan of post-apocalyptic films and literature, and it wasn't the aesthetic of Casshern: Sins that left me cold. The films you mention are all successful to varying degrees: Mad Max demonstrates the breakdown of social order and how terrifying true anarchy would be; The Road renders an excellent portrait of how miserable day-to-day life might be (although, if anything, for a book so widely regarded as unrelentingly bleak, I was surprised at how much hope there was); A Boy & His Dog (otherwise known as A Killer Boy & His Psycho Dog -- which you get points just for mentioning in this list) is an excellent (by which I mean disturbing) exploration of end-of-the-world sexual politics... Book of Eli is the only one of these I feel really fails, as the whole story is a contrivance for the twist-in-the-end which is supposed to blow our minds... but really I have very little patience for that sort of thing.

My main difficulty with Casshern: Sins is that the whole thing is such an over-the-top on-the-nose exercise in melancholy I can't find any of it engaging. There's no subtext, and whenever anything is ever in danger of becoming subtext, it gets explicitly spelled out in the dialogue. It makes the world feel very inauthentic to me, especially coupled with the hoards of rust-ridden robots Casshern smashes his way through. These folks hardly people this world; they are more like video game sprites. I think there is, for the vast majority of fight sequences, little dramatic weight. Once we know spoiler[ Casshern cannot be killed -- or even mortally wounded for very long -- there isn't any danger. ] The fights are there just to look "cool." Yes, in my view, this is a bad thing.

It's this inauthenticity, exactly in contrast to a movie like Mad Max, that makes me wonder about the audience that Casshern: Sins resonates with. I think the story claims to pose very human questions (for which it deserves some credit), but addresses them so perfunctorily I wonder what others are getting that I am missing.

Anyway, if you like stories like these, check out Pat Frank's book Alas, Babylon -- I think that's probably my favorite. Also, David Brin's The Postman (the short story -- NOT the book, and DEFINITELY NOT the movie) is pretty excellent.

I've gone on for long enough... I guess if I want to post in these forums, I should probably get a login or something. Sorry about that.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Has your husband watched any movies like Mad Max, The Road, A Boy & his Dog, or Book of Eli?

Erin's husband Noah wrote:
I'm actually a fan of post-apocalyptic films and literature, and it wasn't the aesthetic of Casshern: Sins that left me cold. The films you mention are all successful to varying degrees: Mad Max demonstrates the breakdown of social order and how terrifying true anarchy would be; The Road renders an excellent portrait of how miserable day-to-day life might be (although, if anything, for a book so widely regarded as unrelentingly bleak, I was surprised at how much hope there was); A Boy & His Dog (otherwise known as A Killer Boy & His Psycho Dog -- which you get points just for mentioning in this list) is an excellent (by which I mean disturbing) exploration of end-of-the-world sexual politics... Book of Eli is the only one of these I feel really fails, as the whole story is a contrivance for the twist-in-the-end which is supposed to blow our minds... but really I have very little patience for that sort of thing.

We do appear to be on the same page then, as I emphaticly agree with all your points.

How many bonus points would I have gotten if I'd named dropped Six-Sting Samurai and/or Radioactive Dreams?!

God I love post-apoc.

Quote:

My main difficulty with Casshern: Sins is that the whole thing is such an over-the-top on-the-nose exercise in melancholy I can't find any of it engaging. There's no subtext, and whenever anything is ever in danger of becoming subtext, it gets explicitly spelled out in the dialogue. It makes the world feel very inauthentic to me, especially coupled with the hoards of rust-ridden robots Casshern smashes his way through. These folks hardly people this world; they are more like video game sprites. I think there is, for the vast majority of fight sequences, little dramatic weight. Once we know spoiler[ Casshern cannot be killed -- or even mortally wounded for very long -- there isn't any danger. ] The fights are there just to look "cool." Yes, in my view, this is a bad thing.

It's this inauthenticity, exactly in contrast to a movie like Mad Max, that makes me wonder about the audience that Casshern: Sins resonates with. I think the story claims to pose very human questions (for which it deserves some credit), but addresses them so perfunctorily I wonder what others are getting that I am missing.

Fair enough I suppose. I personally thought the show had subtext in spades. (and actually I enjoyed that it left some questions open and vauge, like it didn't need to talk down to its audience, and to let them draw their own conclusions) But clearly others disagree.

Quote:

Anyway, if you like stories like these, check out Pat Frank's book Alas, Babylon -- I think that's probably my favorite. Also, David Brin's The Postman (the short story -- NOT the book, and DEFINITELY NOT the movie) is pretty excellent.

Love The Postman (though, unfortunately I've only ever read the book. Maybe I'll track down the Short Story version) Also The Stand and Lucifer's Hammer. Maybe I'll track down Alas, Babylon. I need a new novel.
Quote:

I've gone on for long enough... I guess if I want to post in these forums, I should probably get a login or something. Sorry about that.

You should!
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
AAaaaaaaaaaahhhh! It's so nice when a topic can settle and everyone can sit back and reflect.

WHAT!?!

MIKE TOOLE!!???

NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2010-09-26

Very Happy Shocked Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10