• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breakfast of Champions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
hitoyou wrote:
Why are you trying to minimize the emotional impact of a anime masterpiece (Casshern Sins) by referring to it using the American derogatory word "cartoon"? That's funny.

Oh wow, somehow I missed that. Are you serious? Do you get in a tizzy when someone calls a manga a comic book, cause is that is just so insulting when somebody calls it by what it naturally is.

Seriously, calling an anime a cartoon is not an insult (especially considering the term in it's definition is "japanese cartoon). It's just saying what it is naturally. Would you get mad if someone said it was an "animation" too?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Mr Adventure, cartoon is derogatory- to people who think that American cartoons have always been inferior to anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
TC-man wrote:
Please, Erin, do not put spoilers in the reviews!

Okay, I know you don't like Casshern Sins, but a lot of people do like the show and still want to buy the Blu-ray/DVDs. It doesn't matter whether you have put the anime series in the trash bin ("perishable"). Please remove the spoilers, the review of Casshern Sins in this case can do without these spoilers just fine.

I do try and avoid spoilers as much as possible. Tell me which part specifically you thought was a spoiler and I'll edit it.

I'm clearly not TC-man, but I believe he was referring to this part:
Quote:

spoiler[In Part One, about 80% of the dialog was characters reiterating the fact that Casshern killed Luna. The more they said it, the less I believed it, and sure enough, in Part Two Luna turns up alive. 80% of Luna's dialog consists of her complaining about the stench of death and/or promising to bring salvation to the dying robots gathering on her doorstep.]

Considering that was a major plot point.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Guys on the ANN forums need to get off the damn computer. We got some asshat getting mad because someone called an anime a cartoon? Damn, dude that's sad.

And then we got a guy complaining that someone should change their opinion because a bunch of people think different? I think Texhnolyze is a piece of shit and other people think otherwise. Does that change my opinion? No, it's still a piece of shit in my eyes.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
fightbait wrote:
Casshern Sins was a boring cartoon. The simple fact and bottom line that you think it's an anime masterpiece clearly shows that you have no clue what a truly great, carefully crafted, artistic Japanese animation is.

We will stop with these kind of comments right now, as they're not only (at the least) borderline insulting, but they also practically invite an escalation to flaming. If you want to disagree that it's a masterpiece, fine, but this isn't the way to do it. This also goes for the "cartoon" discussion, too.

Concerning the series in question, I had my full say on it in my own review, so I'll only reiterate what I said in that response thread: I actually feel, in retrospect, that I may have underrated CS by only giving it a B for writing and a B+ overall, and reading Erin's review doesn't change that impression. That means I do, of course, utterly disagree with most of what Erin has said about the series in both reviews (except that I do agree with her about that weird dream episode focusing on Lyuze), but I don't have a problem with either review because I can also easily see how someone could have the kind of extreme negative reaction to CS that she did. Consider mine the "in favor of" take on the series and hers the "against" take.

And, for the record, I also generally try to avoid reading Erin's reviews when she gets to a title first that I'm planning to review. I don't like being influenced by a peer's review, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
except that I do agree with her about that weird dream episode focusing on Lyuze

I thought this was the single best episode of the series myself. And it's pretty blatent that it's a spoiler[dream/ruin induced halucination]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If Erin didn't want to hear you all moan and hate her, all she had to do is lock the topic.

She wants you to talk about it, and she knows a lot of you disagree with her.

It is kinda of disingenuous to say she is trying to shut you up, when the topic is unlocked.

For starters I doubt people are "hating" on her. And calling dissenting opinions hating and moaning is rather rude and belligerent on your part. Those who disagree with her have all the right to voice their opinions without being labeled haters or moaners because they disagree with her. Plus given Erin's track record of voicing views and reviews that seem to not make complete sense or contradict her own previous ones (such as calling Casshern Sins perishable but yet calling Gaogaigar shelf worthy) it's no wonder many seem frustrated or confused at this point.

Secondly actually no she couldn't lock the thread. Erin is not a moderator or admin so she can't lock anything. Only a moderator or admin could do that. Not trying to be rude towards you, just clarifying for you. It is also not her call to even make. Even if she went to the mods or admins and demanded it there's no guarantee they would. That's their call, and if no rules were being violated I trust the mods to have enough professionalism to leave it open for discussion. Plus doing that would only speak negatively on Erin's character trying to stifle discussion if she ever did try that and I would trust her won professionalism to prevent that.

I just hope at this point after all this we can move on from the continuing Casshern sins discussion. I don't think it's going any further then where it already has anymore so let's move on to the next topic for drama.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, this thread calls for:

I think Erin's review is very effective and clearly demonstrates on how Casshern: Sins would hold up in my eyes... being that it wouldn't. A lot of the things she mentioned not liking are things that I don't care much for either.

I mean, I got annoyed with even the first episode of Black Lagoon, with all the people going on and on about how the world sucks, they're in hell, blah blah. I wasn't in the right frame of mind for that episode that night, but I dropped it anyways, and I'm certain all of the people in the anime club were happy to not see me return for that show the rest of the year with as much snark that was coming out of my mouth. I do intend on picking it up again, just out of curiosity's sake, someday. I think I'd find it more intriguing now.

But Casshern: Sins sounds like an even worse perpetrator. I'd have to be in the right frame of mind to not constantly snark at it every few seconds. A reflective mood. But I still don't ever see myself purchasing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
Woah this thread is a total 180 to the other Casshern Sins discussion thread. Erin has her own opinion and that's fine but I think I'll stick to other thread for discussion of the show to avoid all the chaos.

Btw your question about Ringo spoiler[Ringo is a new species, a possible human/robot hybrid, since she has the ability to grow while having a mechanical body. I guess you missed the part where Ohji explains that Casshern, Leda, and Dio were created to have the ability to reproduce like humans giving robots immortality in a sense. Ringo is the daughter of Leda and the father is never disclosed but can only be either Dio or Casshern.]
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Man O Man O Man....I don't know which offers a higher probability of cerebral entertainment: reading these posts or listening to conservative talk radio. I usually choose the latter.

A few observations though: PBR does taste like HtwoO, so does Miller High Life but IMHO Budweiser tastes like horse urine. Whetting the whistle is a matter of taste, or lack thereof. It's the same with anime. Watch what you like. No one has to justify or restate his/her position to placate or enable the rest of us. Twenty years from now whatever got mentioned here or anywhere about this topic won't matter. But if it still bothers you at that time please seek professional help.

Like oats in a horse, just passing through.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
I'm probably a terrible person, but I LOVE High Life. Goes down smooth, meaning I can get sloppy quicker
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
To everyone saying that GGG is rated too high: Just wait for the second half, it'll likely drop to Rental at least since the dub was discontinued.

SoloButterfly wrote:
Quote:
The Sledgehammer School of Filmmaking

another inductee: Arjuna. God I wanted nothing but to rebel and eat hamburgers for a week after watching that.
Haha, same here. Actually, upon a second viewing, Arjuna actually makes some logical sense beyond the blunt "save the environment" messages. At least, if you take these interpretations:

spoiler[1) SEED is an eco-terrorist organization that hates modern civilization, and seeks to spread eco-propaganda by damaging targets of opportunity.
2) Chris, being in control of the Raaja, can manipulate them to attack anything at will.
3) In order to avoid being seen as the terrorists they are, SEED masquerades as a defensive/rescue organization -- they both create and solve Raaja-related problems.
4) For the purposes of solving Raaja attacks, SEED identifies Juna's latent powers and blackmails her into joining them by killing her and bringing her back to life.
5) In order to prevent Juna from discovering the truth, Chris and SEED give Juna a steady diet of physical and psychological torture, misdirection, and contradictory messages.
6) SEED's ultimate goal is to send a message to the world about the fundamental dangers and instability of modern civilization. The development of the PDB is seen as a major threat, since it represents modern civilization acting simultaneously in self-interest and to save the environment. Thus, they organize the PDB-fused Raaja attack to devastate Japan, thus sending the chilling yet hypocritical message that trying to save the environment with human technology is wrong because mystical monsters (which again, SEED controls) will wreak havoc.
7) In a final act of unintentional-yet-arranged heroism for SEED, Juna solves the greatest problem they created, by stopping the Raajas' rampage across Japan.]

Quote:
Quote:
It's good to know your roots… even when those roots extend back to a country you've never lived in during a time before you were born.

I can completely understand and agree with this sentiment. Isn't it great to be an anime fan? It saddens me when I talk to a lot of anime fans now who know almost nothing from the 90s. Just today I was talking with a girl who had never heard of Love Hina.
Love Hina was from 2000, not the 90s. I imagine the "girl who's never heard of Love Hina" situation is no more or less common than "guy who's never heard of Ceres, Celestial Legend," a shoujo anime from the same Spring 2000 season.
diebuster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
The issue here isn't that she disliked it because the lack of subtlety bothered her too much (OH NO, VALID CRITICISM OF AN ALL TOO COMMON FLAW IN ANIME! I am so offended.)

It's that she claimed that a voice actor for one of the characters was its only redeeming quality while she, I quote, "dumped on the animation quality" even though anyone with even the tiniest amount of animation knowledge should realize that it took far moare skill to draw and animate than the average anime. Even if the disliked its overall look, there's a pretty big difference between personally disliking the style of a work and believing that it's poorly done. A reviewer who is unable to notice above average animation quality should not be reviewing animation.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
To everyone saying that GGG is rated too high: Just wait for the second half, it'll likely drop to Rental at least since the dub was discontinued.

SoloButterfly wrote:
Quote:
The Sledgehammer School of Filmmaking

another inductee: Arjuna. God I wanted nothing but to rebel and eat hamburgers for a week after watching that.
Haha, same here. Actually, upon a second viewing, Arjuna actually makes some logical sense beyond the blunt "save the environment" messages. e them to attack anything at will.

Aww come on. Arjuna was kinda dumb but the parts not dealing with silly ideals showed a beautiful, atmospheric teen romance. The show had incredible music too.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Moonsaber:
Well, if it helps with anything, Theron gave his own review of the series like erin linked too. I think Zac normally does this anyways. Usually a series gets 2 different reviewers. Erin (and basically whoever gets put into the "shelf life" chair) kind of takes everything that comes out while the other reviewer is often selected cause they either resonate with the series or just to be a second body.

I saw Theron's review more recently, and he does paint it in a better light, but oddly... it makes me less likely to see it. I will try to rent or borrow a blu ray of this series to check it out.

Any review is always fine by me, I don't expect people to line up with my tastes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10