• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Kuragehime (TV)

So, this season's Noitamina entry seems quite far from the rest of this uneven season. It kind of follows the trend (?) of otaku culture exploration that we see in Oreimo.
I didn't have any expectations going in (not all Noitamina shows have worked for me, though I don't deny the quality of most).
Nice surprises start from the OP sequence (I'm a sucker for even obvious references, yes, and frankly it's a very pleasant surprise to see them in anime). The rest is an upbeat comedy about otaku girls, each quirky in their own way... let's hope it manages to avoid treating them like they're a walking quirk without any real personality behind it. But so far the premise and execution seem fresh enough to catch your interest.
Oh, and, of course, Kana Hanazawa fans, rejoice Razz

[EDIT: Added what will apparently be the official English name for the series to the thread title. - Key]
killmyself

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a female version of Genshiken but withspoiler[ a trap taking the place of Ogiue.] Don't really care for the all otaku girls are deformed human mutations theme. spoiler[I'm sure the trap will turn Tsukimi into a "princess" by teaching her how to use makeup and fix her hair and then probably fudge her while wearing a jellyfish costume.] Hopefully the plot is better than that. The themes are right up my alley and the animation and voice acting are decent as well as the jokes. I don't expect this to fall short of decent and has a chance to be great depending on how clever and well written the plot is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
Just caught the first eppie and loved it. The last few noitaminA offerings haven't grabbed me at all, but this one did. The humour and the poignancy are working for me big time and I like the character designs.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
Pretty good but ugly eyebrows tend to annoy me (eg. my hime). I just hope they will really cosplay Star Wars, otherwise this should be considered misleading advertisement.

Mister V wrote:
Oh, and, of course, Kana Hanazawa fans, rejoice Razz
Not an instantaneous reaction for me. I've been very disappointed with her roles as of late (except for DTB and Angel Beats), mainly with Asobi ni Ikuyo and Occult Academy. But I know she's great when she does a protagonist, and in this case it's no different.
Genten

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Pretty good and awesome eyebrows

Fixed it for ya. Very Happy

I enjoyed Kuragahime, especially Tsukimi's friends. I found the first episode very entertaining, especially with the focus on jellyfish (I think it's cool when an anime puts a huge emphasis on a particular subject, like jellyfish). The trap (did we get his name? I can't remember it for the life of me) is interesting but he didn't get enough attention in the first episode for me to decide if I like him or not.

I'll definitely give the series another two episodes and unless it plummets within those two I'll be keeping up with the series.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Genten wrote:
Fixed it for ya. Very Happy

I'll tell you that you sound like a small town politician whom after winning the election fulfilled one of his promises that was to fix the town's sewer leakage. Except that all he did was to tape them pipes.

The most outstanding part of a character is their eyes.. and what's above that? The eyebrow! And what's below that? Boobies! So, what if it's an ugly eyebrow? It's all ruined!
I'm guessing the protagonist will go through a major makeover anytime in the near future.
But thinking about it properly that wouldn't be quite as fun.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I noticed the main character's ugly eyebrows too but I'm pretty sure that's going to get "fixed" at some point and that they are ugly because she does not tend to them because she is not a princess but a nerd.

You can almost already see under the glasses and the big eyebrows and the goofy hairstyle already; the main girl is going to turn out to be a princess after all. The same can't be said for her friends, so what I hope this doesn't turn into is "ugly chick turns beautiful and graduates from her dumb dumb retard apartment full of freaks to join the real world". That said, her friends annoy me a lot. Fostering fear of communication and people? Great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I was a little hesitant to try the series after seeing some of the trailers but I loved the first episode. It was quirky and I liked it much better than the other two examining the otaku subculture shows this season. I'll keep watching it even if Funi doesn't get a stream up but I really hope they do.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
So far I like this show. It looks good. I like the character designs. I like the characters. It's not laugh out loud funny but it has enough humorous quirkiness to keep me entertained.

I agree with what people have said though. I really hope this doesn't turn into a 'ugly' girl gets made over and 'fixed' story. That would be lame. I mean, I actually found the first episode kinda sad in that way. The main character seems like a real sweet person (albeit with some obvious personality issues) and even though she seems fairly happy in life, she acts like there's something terribly wrong with her because she's failed to become a 'princess' as she calls it.
Sovay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
I was so looking forward to this one and it definitely did not disappoint. I was probably most surprised by the opening, all of the parodies and references were a nice treat. I just hope that Funimation simulcasts this one, I know they have the noitaminA deal but I'm a tad worried that the first episode has aired and they haven't done anything. I want to be able to support this great little show.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Hell must be feeling a little chilly, because here I am watching an episode days after its release, instead of months/years/decades later. This is the only thing I've watched of the current season so far, it's the only thing that has been getting high praise across the board, and I just couldn't say no after I saw the Star Wars parodies in the OP. Episode 1 is a good start, as expected of the fine folks at Brains Base, establishing the characters and (presumably) setting up the plot while still being entertaining, if not mind-blowing.

As for FUNimation, I think it's pretty clear that the Noitamina simulcasting didn't work as well as they hoped, and they aren't going to renew the agreement to stream every single Noitamina show. Still, if Kuragehime establishes a large (or vocal) enough fan base somebody might license it for DVD and streaming - maybe even midseason.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
According to Twitter, this stream has been signed:
Quote:
@AnimeNewsdotbiz Funimation nabs Kuragehime as Princess Jellyfish, Sora No Otoshimono Forte. Streams start on Thurs/Fri at 11:45/11:30am respectively.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Any source yet other than Twitter? Cause I really do hope that FUNi adds Kuragehime along with their other Noitamina simulcasts. I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched ep01 of this so far but what I've seen has me really anticipating more. As I mentioned in the streaming announcement thread it's refreshing to see girl otaku that are not just an outwardly-female embodiment of the stereotypical male fandom (i.e. a mirror of male viewers' interests). It's also cool that they're not exclusively media-based otaku (i.e. more than just manga/anime, they also cover interests like jellyfish, trains, dolls, etc.). I haven't made plans to keep up with anything current for a long time* but it looks like this season had a very pleasant surprise in store for me!

*Even with sequels to anime I've already seen & liked I generally have an, "I'll get around to it eventually, maybe even before the US DVD release... but probably not. Hey, why don't I watch this random drama instead?" sort of attitude (so does that make me a drama otaku?). It's sad, but there you have it. I'm just happy to have found a couple non-sequels (this & Togainu) to watch this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm just that loyal and trusting of FUNi that I did not watch this illegally even though it looked really good.

Time for episode 1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3