• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It may be small consolation but you were my hero when you did that. I thought it was an incredibly ballsy move. I hope you ended up liking the show! I can't remember which poster it was but another purchase that impressed the hell out of me was somebody who, years ago, bought the Japanese DVD release of The Legend of Galactic Heroes that didn't even have English subtitles! The DVDs were packaged in a stunningly beautiful way and I believe it cost the person close to $1,000. Anybody else remember that?

That was in the same year I got Viz Media's DVD sets of Maison Ikkoku for over $400, and both are easily the most expensive anime purchases I've ever made. I'm hit or miss as far as enjoying titles from Rumiko Takahashi as I did enjoy Maison Ikkoku and Mermaid Forest, but not so much a fan of rom-coms milking her "fighting couple" tropes, Urusei Yatsura fitting into that camp. I highly doubt I'm shelling out that much money ever again for an anime purchase, as I used Paypal Credit to cover the UY purchase and was just narrowly able to pay it off in less than 6 months before Paypal would charge interest for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
I used to think that UY had the most volumes for a single title but it turns out there's another show that beats it. UY's original release had 50 volumes but another Rumiko Takahashi show, Inuyasha, had 55 volumes. A few years ago, I was able to buy all 55 volumes (several still in their original shrink wrap) off a guy for, I believe, about $225. Anybody know if there is a title out there that got more than 55 volumes?

I was also able to buy those 4 Maison Ikkoku sets. Three I got for cheap... I think about $25 each. But one of the sets - I think the first one - cost me $100.

eta: er, I was actually thinking of TokyoPop's 4 Marmalade Boy sets. I do have the 8 MI sets, too, though.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Just bought Management of a Novice Alchemist via Amazon. Knocked off a decent chunk of the cost via a $15 Amazon gift card.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
I heard that Discotek only made a small print run of the SD-BD of Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, so I ordered it even though it wasn't discounted. Shocked
A little silly of me, it's SD and I have the DVDs, but I tend to get Tenchi related releases if there is any chance of improvements.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:27 am Reply with quote
Just bought Akiba Maid War via Amazon.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 am Reply with quote
Hit up Amazon to knock a few sequel/related items off the "wind-down wishlist":

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled DVD/BD
Space Battleship Tiramisu Zwei DVD/BD

Blood- wrote:
I used to think that UY had the most volumes for a single title but it turns out there's another show that beats it. UY's original release had 50 volumes but another Rumiko Takahashi show, Inuyasha, had 55 volumes. A few years ago, I was able to buy all 55 volumes (several still in their original shrink wrap) off a guy for, I believe, about $225. Anybody know if there is a title out there that got more than 55 volumes?

Seems like Dragonball Z had 87 volumes in its original singles release, although Inuyasha still beats both DBZ and UY in terms of having fewer episodes per volume -- 3.04 vs. 3.34 and 3.9, respectively. If those two shows were released like Inuyasha, they'd have around 95 and 65 volumes.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
I heard that Discotek only made a small print run of the SD-BD of Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure, so I ordered it even though it wasn't discounted. Shocked
A little silly of me, it's SD and I have the DVDs, but I tend to get Tenchi related releases if there is any chance of improvements.

According to the announcement, it does look like there'll be improvements:

Quote:
- Improved subtitles: both text touchup, and no more 'burned in' signs like the original Pioneer DVD release
- Extras include clean OP/ED and promo clips, plus, for the first time- character messages and an "ADR Report" short (Japanese ADR, not English), plus some easter eggs we found on the old DVDs - easier to find this time
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:20 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

And now on Blu-ray Inu Yasha takes 6 volumes (167 episodes) and UY only 4 volumes (196 episodes). Viz put all 4 Inu Yasha movies in a single volume but Discotek issued 6 volumes to hold all 6 UY movies. Apparently the UY movies were put out separately to see if there was a market for the entire series.

How the market is has more to do with episode count per volume than most factors. Inu Yasha was hot when they started issuing the individual volumes and they could afford to limit the number of episodes per volume. Viz later reissued it in 8 "season" packs with wildly varying episode count without any rational for the "season" divides. Urusei Yatsura on the other hand was a passion project for Robert Woodhead. He rather relentlessly put four episodes to a volume (and initially 5 volumes to a box set). Back then he was adamant that four was the maximum number of standard episodes you could put on a DVD without impairment to quality.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Alan45 and Zalis116, although now I feel kind of dumb. Of course I should of thought of long running shows like Dragonball Z or Bleach, Naruto and One Piece. Brainfart.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
My dad sent me a little bit of money as a birthday gift yesterday, so after getting some dental work done (don't neglect your teeth, folks!), we stopped at the Barnes & Noble next door and I picked up The King's Beast Vol. 12 and Yakuza Lover Vol. 4. Was only going to grab The King's Beast, but they're having a buy one get one 50% off sale on all manga, so took advantage. I hope to maybe go back and get a couple more books, but my husband and I have our special 10-year anniversary trip at the end of the month, so we'll see. Might order some online, as my store didn't carry some of the volumes I was really looking for.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Tomo-chan is a Girl via Crunchyroll.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:59 am Reply with quote
Been a while since I dabbled into any old crappy anime movie/ OVA from Central Park Media, thus bought Harmagedon off E-Bay just now.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Dark Gathering via the Sentai Filmworks store.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Been a while since I dabbled into any old crappy anime movie/ OVA from Central Park Media, thus bought Harmagedon off E-Bay just now.

YAY!!! Love reading about cheesy OOP purchases. (Love making them, too.)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

YAY!!! Love reading about cheesy OOP purchases. (Love making them, too.)

There's still a decent number of retro crap anime I've yet to see. Just never seriously considered getting into them. Media Blasters also had a decent load from what I gather.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered The Boy and the Heron via Amazon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 1400 of 1400