• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Voltron Force Cartoon's Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:55 am Reply with quote
Don't be surprised about the show's "dated" animation look, since it's all in traditional 2D format outside the mecha.

spoiler[I'm actually currently doing layouts for the show, which is being done here in the Philippines. Spoilering this lest people would call me out and accuse me as a poser.]
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:22 am Reply with quote
An ad on an ad. *sigh* Preview skipped.

The article did catch my attention with this:
Quote:
US$36.95... 2 gigabyte...

I'd be all for paying for the trinket, but not when the size of the drive itself is too small. Hell, this wouldn't even hold the contents of my anime wallpaper folder.

This means one thing: cheap flash drive prone to fail after one use because license fee was expensive to acquire.

Caveat Emptor, unless you don't plan on using it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
America aping anime and it ends up being bad? Man, who'd a thunk that would happen. Rolling Eyes It's not even like GoLion was the best thing to begin with either, so you'd think it wouldn't be hard to match it... man, America's been in remake city these days.. what's with all the obsession with 80s stuff? I thought we agreed those were all best left in the 80s.
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
"Voltron Force" may not have the anime-like aesthetics of anime-influenced American animated programs, but visuals are still okay. And since this new series does not use any actual designs from "Beast King GoLion" (of which the Lion Voltron part of "Voltron, Defender of The Universe" is a re-dub), we can only hope that Toei (creator of "GoLion") won't try to interfere with this show, though the company istelf is still fighting WEP (owner of "Voltron") over who has rights to authorize the making of a live-action "Voltron" film.

I wonder if the Voltron in this new show is a rebuilt of the Lion Voltron or a new Voltron constructed.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:48 pm Reply with quote
The other morning, I was waiting for the school bus with my two younger children and my 10-year-old nephew, and I was wearing my Voltron T-shirt. My nephew noticed and told me that there's going to be a new Voltron series on Nicktoons, and I politely told him that I already knew.

My nephew also added that he saw a "Behind the Scenes" ad for it on Nicktoons, and that he wasn't impressed with what he saw. His big gripe concerned a scene from the show that was shown, and how the characters were explaining what they were doing. He then added that the explaining everything they were doing reminded him of Dora the Explorer. Ouch!

Unfortunately, my family doesn't have Nicktoons in our Comcast cable package, and right now, we can't afford to upgrade our package to get it, along with The Hub (I'd like to support The Hub airing Jem when that starts later this month, but having to pay nearly a buck for each additional channel in the next tier up just to have access to two more channels simply isn't doable).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
My nephew also added that he saw a "Behind the Scenes" ad for it on Nicktoons, and that he wasn't impressed with what he saw. His big gripe concerned a scene from the show that was shown, and how the characters were explaining what they were doing. He then added that the explaining everything they were doing reminded him of Dora the Explorer. Ouch!

Haven't they always done that?

"ACTIVATE INTERLOCK! FORM ARMS AND LEGS! ETC!"
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it can be argued that the original Voltron did that. However, my nephew really doesn't have much knowledge of the original, so he's really only going by whatever he saw in that "Behind the Scenes" ad that he saw on Nicktoons. And it sounded like from what my nephew was quoting from the ad, it didn't sound like something from a formation sequence. It sounded like it was something else.

Sigh. Wish I could see this "Behind the Scenes" thing for myself to truly understand what it was my nephew was describing.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
ljaesch wrote:

Haven't they always done that?

"ACTIVATE INTERLOCK! FORM ARMS AND LEGS! ETC!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Against my better judgment, I went to the Nicktoons site and streamed this promo. Sorry, but I'm not impressed by how the show looks. I understand that with the Toei lawsuit, they have to be careful not to make the characters and mecha look too much like the original GoLion versions, but these character designs are just... meh. I also agree that the characters look like they walked out of the WB's shows from 10-15 years ago...
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ssgOverlord wrote:
So maybe this'll open the doors for some more Robotech.

...Which is what everyone wants, right?

Shadow Chronicles sequel when?
Seriously. Voltron was okay. I didn't mind it. I actually enjoyed 3D. (Stealth Voltron <3)

Unlike Robotech, they don't run and hide from the fact that it's based off of another show.

On the USB....lolwut?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Eh, having just finished off watching the GoLion DVDs, and now staring at 3 sets of Voltron waiting for me, I kind of regret buying them. Voltron was a lot better when I was 10 or so. GoLion was kind of tedious, and I didn't have to deal with the nonsense of no one dying and everything being all roses and sunshine all the time. I was excited when these came out, but now I see that it was best left to my nostalgic memories. I think I'll pass on any attempted reboots to it.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
This looks awful. Beast Wars levels of awful. I feel bad for the kids that have to suffer through this garbage.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
This looks awful. Beast Wars levels of awful.

Am I reading this right?
redranger

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
This looks awful. Beast Wars levels of awful. I feel bad for the kids that have to suffer through this garbage.

What the hell exactly are you trying to imply?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
This looks awful. Beast Wars levels of awful.

Confused I hope you mean CG-wise and not writing/story wise. Beast Wars is probably the best (read: the only good) example of a Western cartoon based on war.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Beast Wars. Mr. Green

New Voltron. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3