• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Wanna Be the Strongest in the World' Female Wrestling Anime's Ad Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
Yea, it looks like Ikkitousen in disguise
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
Yea, it looks like Ikkitousen in disguise
I don't think there's a disguise.

Looks like crap either way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 am Reply with quote
...or it could be a lot of cheesy fun assuming you aren't a joyless limpdick whose brown starfish doesn't reflexively pucker at the sight of 2D breasts.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...or it could be a lot of cheesy fun assuming you aren't a joyless limpdick whose brown starfish doesn't reflexively pucker at the sight of 2D breasts.

Well durn! Guess I'm out.

Guess that gives me more time to watch The News Hour with Jim Lehrer, although that Gwen Ifill has been dressing awful slutty lately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Yet again a promo for this show that has like 5 seconds of animation in a 30 second clip. The budget for this thing must be microscopic.

Possibly. As the article states this is Comic Earth Star's first anime adaptation. Since they're most likely a tiny publisher who's investing in this anime project (probably to help boost manga sales) I wouldn't be surprised if they only raised around the minimum amount of $$$ to get this thing done.

Just my theory but maybe that's why there was a long delay (took time to get the funds). The announcement for this anime was about 2 years ago. Usually an anime starts airing about a year later after an announcement.

This is NOT Earth Star's first anime adaptation.

Edit, my mistake here: "Read it again and you'll see it (incorrectly) says this is their first FULL LENGTH adaptation and even that is wrong as Sacred Blacksmith was full length in 2009 but lately they've had a few shorts so that's all people remember apparently." The article correctly states it is the first full length adaptation from Earth Star Comics, I was wrong as Sacred Blacksmith was from a light novel not serialized in their magazine.

Teekyuu season 3 is coming out this fall so they made two seasons of that with another one coming, one season of Yama no Susume/Encouragement of Climb, one season of Mangirl! And there is also Pupa this season and Nobunagun next season. Earth Star Entertainment is really ramping up!

They are a smaller publisher but I love the fact that they just have one magazine so I can just buy it and have all their great titles. Other publishers have 10 magazines with just a few good titles per magazine which is annoying.

The two year "delay" is odd to be honest as there wasn't much material 2 years ago. Only a short would have been possible. There are 25 chapters out now and with wrestling being action even that isn't a whole lot of material as one match can take 4-5 chapters to complete.

Last edited by hpulley on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
This is NOT Earth Star's first anime adaptation. Read it again and you'll see it (incorrectly) says this is their first FULL LENGTH adaptation and even that is wrong as Sacred Blacksmith was full length in 2009 but lately they've had a few shorts so that's all people remember apparently.
That seems to have been their only anime adaptation for a while(at least that made it into ANN's encyclopedia). Given that everything else about the franchise seems to be Media Factory's purview and the rather huge gap between then and their heavy anime pushing now, I suspect that their involvement in that affair may be fundamentally different than on this.

But unless somebody hear knows Japanese and/or the history of the company, we'll never know.
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
Edit: note that I made a mistake in reading there in the quote below, Sacred Blacksmith doesn't count as it was not adapted from their monthly magazine:

Polycell wrote:
hpulley wrote:
This is NOT Earth Star's first anime adaptation. Read it again and you'll see it (incorrectly) says this is their first FULL LENGTH adaptation and even that is wrong as Sacred Blacksmith was full length in 2009 but lately they've had a few shorts so that's all people remember apparently.
That seems to have been their only anime adaptation for a while(at least that made it into ANN's encyclopedia). Given that everything else about the franchise seems to be Media Factory's purview and the rather huge gap between then and their heavy anime pushing now, I suspect that their involvement in that affair may be fundamentally different than on this.

But unless somebody hear knows Japanese and/or the history of the company, we'll never know.
I read Earth Star Comics monthly in Japanese.

Yes, between Sacred Blacksmith in 2009 and Teekyuu in 2012 there was a 2-3 year gap for sure but I'm not sure of the reason as I was not following the company in 2009. Sacred Blacksmith doesn't even run in Earth Star monthly and they don't list it on the current company page. Seems they consider Teekyuu their first anime these days too.

Last edited by hpulley on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Well durn! Guess I'm out.

Guess that gives me more time to watch The News Hour with Jim Lehrer, although that Gwen Ifill has been dressing awful slutty lately.

SA looks like your going to have to scoot along that sofa as I'm going to be joining you with this one Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:32 am Reply with quote
There better be blood spilling on the ring.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
All I'm saying is there better be a tag team match against a wrestling duo known as....*ring announcer voice* the Dir------ty Pa----------ir!!!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
From what I've heard about it online... apparently, it starts out as one of them idol shows, but then a wrestler hits one of the idols on television and then it turns into a revenge brawl and then it turns into a wrestling series.

If nothing else, the premise is ingenious.

Well that actually happened in the 80s were Rowdy Roddy Piper hit Lou Albano in the head with a record, body slammed David Wolff who was Cyndi Lauper's manager, and kicked Cyndi in the head.

Though instead of Cyndi Laupner wrestling Rowdy Roddy Piper Hulk Hogan wrestled him instead and eventually setup the main event at the first wrestlemania. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jmgqSGtWxc
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
well just YES YES YES for me watching this give this & s2 of Freezing for me to see.

besides who knows this female wrestling anime would something to watch this fall those other female wrestling you see on tv.

give since series likely also have f-service any one already having so likely this will be dub as well.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:

As the article notes, "this is the first 30-minute television anime based on a manga from the [Comic Earth Star] magazine," not Earth Star Entertainment. The magazine did not debut until 2011. The Sacred Blacksmith was originally published as a light novel in 2007, not a manga by Earth Star.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I wonder who the target audience are.
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
hpulley wrote:

As the article notes, "this is the first 30-minute television anime based on a manga from the [Comic Earth Star] magazine," not Earth Star Entertainment. The magazine did not debut until 2011. The Sacred Blacksmith was originally published as a light novel in 2007, not a manga by Earth Star.
Sorry, I didn't read it carefully enough either. Remedial English comprehension classes are needed obviously...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7