• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Wanna Be the Strongest in the World' Female Wrestling Anime's Ad Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
...or it could be a lot of cheesy fun assuming you aren't a joyless limpdick whose brown starfish doesn't reflexively pucker at the sight of 2D breasts.
Or it just looks bad and for sad people.

...or the promo simply attracts the same old anti-fanservice crowd who are always very anxious to assure us all that this show has to be bad even though virtually none of it has been shown yet.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood, you're being ridiculous. The goal isn't to tell the show will be bad bad, it's tell you that you're bad for even being slightly interested. Because you know, you get off to the images of women being hurt. Or something along those lines, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if people's perceptions would change if I started a rumour that "Wanna Be the Strongest in the World" is actually based on an obscure Baudelaire short story?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it'll take any pages from Wanna-Be's and have Mad Max style villains. Anime tits are great and all, but I hope the show will at least be entertaining beyond that since very few shows can get away with just focusing on the sexual fanservice and related situations alone. Queen's Blade [season 2] and Manyuu Hikenchou come to mind.
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
People should really read the manga or at least wait for a whole episode or 3 to judge a show. Must say I am not a fan of the current sport of dumping on shows before they show more than a PV or two.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I've seen bits of the manga, and what looks like a healthy dose of ryona. But that's something that adaptations can easily change.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ya know what's funny? I've never once seen anyone condescendingly tell someone off for looking at a preview and saying "Hey, this looks like it will be really good". But any time someone looks at a preview and says "This looks like it will be really bad" a bunch of people totally lose it and start ranting about how stupid they are for judging it based only on a preview. It makes it pretty obvious that the people preaching are actually just mad because others' initial reaction was negative when their own was positive.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's just bullshit. People disagree with positive statements all the time. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm willing to bet if there was a thread that had a PV of Flowers of Evil and someone said, "Hey, this looks pretty good" somebody probably said, "are you crazy? Look at that horrible rotoscoping."

I personally have no problem with anyone who looks at the Wanna Be PV and says, "this doesn't look like it's for me." After all, the PV does make clear it will be a fanservice show and there are people who simply don't like fanservice no matter what. But what is tedious is the immediate assumption that the show must be "horrible" based on very scanty (heh) material.

People like SA sneered at those morons who dismissed Free! before it aired just because it was obviously a fanservice service show with dudes, but apparently that attitude is just fine if its a fanservice show with women.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, that's just bullshit. People disagree with positive statements all the time. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'm willing to bet if there was a thread that had a PV of Flowers of Evil and someone said, "Hey, this looks pretty good" somebody probably said, "are you crazy? Look at that horrible rotoscoping."

I assure you there's nothing of the such, since the rotoscoping was strictly kept confidential until the first episode aired. None of the PVs showed the animation style at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
And what do you think would have happened if there had been a PV that showed the rotoscoping? Do you really think there's never been an example of what ikillchicken is talking about?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
ok, I'll try it.

Dude, this show looks sweet. cant wait to give it a try
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well when I find a show that is only about it's fanservice and yet is still good, I'll believe it.

Because I watched Withcblade, Ikki Tousen, Queen's Blade and whatnot and what they have in common is they all suck. Well...Witchblade was ok at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Now there's an anime Spike TV and Adult Swim could use in their programming line-ups. Since female wrestlers (WWE divas for example) always manage to wow the sports fans western culture, this is something wrestle diva-loving sports fans will want to check out. Plus, this can give sports fiction-loving anime fans in North America the opportunity of a break from all the more kid-oriented sports fiction anime stuff that North American TV networks air nowadays, though I still think Beyblade is very cool.
lostrune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wonder if people's perceptions would change if I started a rumour that "Wanna Be the Strongest in the World" is actually based on an obscure Baudelaire short story?

Actually all you got to do is make it about pretty boys wrestling and they won't complain due to the usual double standard Laughing Worked for Free!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Actually all you got to do is make it about pretty boys wrestling and they won't complain due to the usual double standard Laughing Worked for Free!

Which has everything to do with a double standard and nothing to do with how Haruka and co. do not spend every breathing moment looking and sounding like they're being sexually assaulted

Quote:
And what do you think would have happened if there had been a PV that showed the rotoscoping? Do you really think there's never been an example of what ikillchicken is talking about?

I'm not saying anything of the sort. Just that you shouldn't waste your time looking for it, since it doesn't exist for FoE's case (Disclaimer: I dropped the show because it bored me)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7