• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kill la Kill (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacal II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Awesome stuff, I've sat through the whole thing with a banana face. But I can't stop comparing it to Gurren Lagann, and in my opinion the MC hear doesn't stand up one bit to Kamina, she seems more interesting than Simon, but that's not that hard IMO.

The animation at first seemed odd to me, but I got used to it quite fast and I actually like it quite a bit.

Scissor blade and sailor suit... hell yeah!
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Hard to be raped by clothing, people. If anything, remember that she was inside him, not the other way around.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Silly and strange...but the heroine is pretty badass. Love her seiyuu already.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
Hard to be raped by clothing, people. If anything, remember that she was inside him, not the other way around.

Once again, the only one who mentioned rape was Willag who explicitly said...

willag wrote:
Well, except for the scene where Ryuuko was getting, er, "raped" by the uniform. I mean, she wasn't, but it was alluding to such a situation in my eyes. Kinda uncomfortable to listen to when it happens.

If you guys don't have an issue with the scene in question by all means disagree but please stop arguing with straw men.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
It was a good first episode, it set the protagonist, what she wants, who's in her way, the setting ,everything. While the pacing might slow down eventually, it might carry that energy all the way to the end.

Also, I don't know why everyone keeps comparing this to Gurren Lagann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtxORWdsxG0
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
Wtf is wrong with this anime?
The amount of violence is just messed up.
I predict that this will have a whole bunch of episodes.
Kinda reminds me of Needless in a way.
Don't know whether to watch it or not.
Guess this is love it or drop kind of anime.
I'm gonna give it a try.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Started off this new season with Kill la Kill. I do not know what to describe this new anime; it is just too awesome for words. Ryuko is pretty epic but I think I like Satsuki more. Definitely want more of this.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:41 am Reply with quote
I started the new season with Kill la Kill as well and DAMN. What a way to start. I thought that it was pretty flippin' awesome. Badass protagonist and if first introductions are anything to go by, a badass antagonist as well. I have a pretty good feeling about this one.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
File this under "save for later". It's the sort of "Redline" craziness (yelling, mad design, exaggerated to volume 11) that seems best fit for watching in bigger chunks, at least separated into arcs- not weekly. If I tried to watch this weekly it would start to get on my nerves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm at a loss for words. that was amazing. this is a keeper
casualfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Excellent first episode. The plot feels too straight-forward and cliche', but the characters are great. The animation style fits well with the over-the-top fighting sequences. I wouldn't be surprised if they reach DBZ level in the future.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Excellent first episode. I wanted action, and I got it in spades. Very fast pace and did not lose any momentum from beginning to end. Everything was epic and it felt kind of like watching a Grindhouse film--except Grindhouse gets boring after a while. It has a nice dose of comedy and drama (not too much of this, though). Basically, it's what I thought it would be, and that is--AMAZING
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

To be honest I am not sold on this, it seems that I keep not getting what a lot of you love about these series like Eccentric Family. Do I have just have bad taste or something?

No I kind of felt the same way. On MAL, posters who had already watched the first episode made it sound like an epic season opener. So I went into it with huge expectations. The first episode was good, but it was nowhere close to the hype. I think the animations was worse than Gurren Lagann and don't even mention that outfit of hers....
ishmael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the gag about the skimpy uniform was funny - how can it protect her when it barely covers her? Like end-game armor in some RPGs, extremely skimpy but awesome armor.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
OK, so this will be my "over the top" indulgence for the season.

I really like the extremely pointed irony of starting out the show with a dull lecture on the rise of Fascism in Germany delivered to students in the most fascist school setting I have ever imagined. I am pretty sure we just established a new level in the trope Absurdly Powerful Student Council -- actually summarily executing students and staking their bodies out front as judge, jury, and executioner. They even have the gall to give the principal a line of dialog: "stay out of what doesn't concern you. We are all hired underlings." For further fun they use a completely innocent bystander as a hostage.

Yes, I get satire. But yow.

As for the artwork I think it is appropriate for the material they are working with. Some of you might not have noticed but this isn't "Ah! My Goddess" territory we're in here.

I hope they fill in Ryuko's back story a bit more so we can see how she got to be such an awesome fighter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 60