• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEO9875

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Good news, I can access Crunchyroll again. Very Happy

I take it that they now resolved the DDOS issue. Surprised
strange... Still no access on my end.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
GEO9875 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Good news, I can access Crunchyroll again. Very Happy

I take it that they now resolved the DDOS issue. Surprised
strange... Still no access on my end.

Hmm, that's odd. Confused

Might want to double check your internet. But for me, I can access Crunchyroll with no problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FMABleach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Looks like Crunchyroll is back up! Very Happy I was able to access all their features just fine, so hopefully that means the issues were resolved! ^____^
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
It's the same question with Sony. Could Crunchyroll have prevented this or were just negligent in their cyber security? I would think at this age and time where technology is literally everywhere that companies would focus on cyber security more than anything else because so much of their data is kept on hard drives and computer that could be hacked.
Sleepsalot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Hate that. Went and watched the virtually non-existant anime on Netflix. Seikirei.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
Now they 've done it. And now ANN is going to be targeted?

Where is FBI?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Where is FBI?

This is part of the problem, people believing law enforcement is the only one responsible. The analogy would be this, imagine you have in your house doors made of cardboard and you have a nice 55" hdtv. Then you act all surprised because it was stolen and blame local, state and federal police for not being up to the task. Security starts at the companies, if everybody has doors made of cardboard the police cannot prevent all robberies.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, I had the impression that if Crunchyroll would suffer a direct attack like this, the motive behind it would've been because they're a legitimate anime distributor, and Crunchyroll, as an online-only entity, would be the one most affected by a DDoS attack.

To this day, I continue to encounter people, mostly offline, who seem to be big fans of fansubbing groups, and they quite strongly resent how anime and manga localization had really taken off from the late 90's and onwards. There are two main motivations for this: They don't like the way the anime and manga are adapted into English and REALLY don't like the way these adaptations displace their fansubbed versions; or the fansubbers they follow will stop translating a series they follow because an official English version will come out.

For instance, I recently tutored this kid who absolutely refuses to watch anime on Hulu, Netflix, or Crunchyroll, and in fact torrents all of his anime. When I asked why, even though all three have free subscriptions, he said it's because he can't stand watching the commercials. I'm guessing he's still too young to understand the idea of how money works, since he's at the age where he's unfamiliar with the concept of a paycheck, but you also would have a lot of teenagers and adults too immature to understand or too selfish to care, and it's these teenagers and/or adults whom I feel would be most likely to DDoS attack Crunchyroll: As revenge for killing off the fansubs they love so much, or perhaps as a small attack against the anime localization business they want wiped out.

Quite possible.

I ran into someone on a discussion topic for the Wii U getting the CR app who was spouting nonsense about how streaming and CR are such low quality and that we should download fansubs instead.

I said I was morally opposed to that, and he still tried to force it "CR isn't helping the creators all of that much!". Like, yeah... Maybe not, but that doesn't justify pirating. This fandom and its false entitlement issues just know no bounds. He even tried to tell me that downloading fansubs and buying Blu-Rays would do more to help than streaming and buying Blu-Rays. He actually said, that yes. Rolling Eyes
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I never understand why people want to do bring a service down. They aren't crusading for 'the fans or users'; they just make everyone hate them.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The part that does not make sense is why no one has claimed to have DDoSed the crunchyroll site. Script kiddies LOVE bragging rights, So it point that it indeed an extortion (attempt?) by the mafia or crunchyroll was not prepared for the high end of year and made false accusations to save face.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

I said I was morally opposed to that, and he still tried to force it "CR isn't helping the creators all of that much!". Like, yeah... Maybe not, but that doesn't justify pirating. This fandom and its false entitlement issues just know no bounds. He even tried to tell me that downloading fansubs and buying Blu-Rays would do more to help than streaming and buying Blu-Rays. He actually said, that yes. Rolling Eyes

Not to go off topic, but that dude who said that. This is my reaction:

This is directed at that person, not at you Revolutionary. The next time you see that guy show him this picture.

EDIT (as of 2:14 PM): In case you didn't see it, ANN has already reported that CR is back on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
I ran into someone on a discussion topic for the Wii U getting the CR app who was spouting nonsense about how streaming and CR are such low quality and that we should download fansubs instead.

reminds me a bit of this one "fansub purist" from JAFAX the year we somehow got Tiffany Grant as a guest, who went ON AND ON AND ON about how dubs, even good ones, "fundamentally alter" the show and how because of that true fans shouldn't support dubs at all. no sense, no logic, just trying to justify going for fansubs instead of legit products. (BTW, you should have heard his attempts to say why importing BDs if they came with English subs wasn't an option. it was a riot.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
reminds me a bit of this one "fansub purist" from JAFAX the year we somehow got Tiffany Grant as a guest, who went ON AND ON AND ON about how dubs, even good ones, "fundamentally alter" the show and how because of that true fans shouldn't support dubs at all. no sense, no logic, just trying to justify going for fansubs instead of legit products. (BTW, you should have heard his attempts to say why importing BDs if they came with English subs wasn't an option. it was a riot.)

I will never understand those type of fans. Confused Mad Rolling Eyes

What kind of logic is this, and here's my reaction after reading the bold and italicize part:

Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Hehaho1830 wrote:
Soooo, Why Crunchyroll?

Unlike years ago, they're completely legit now.
They're of the anime subculture (If you want to go that far).
to my knowledge, Crunchyroll members don't tend to have any weird political leanings.
Crunchyroll usually doesn't tend to steal show licenses from Funimation or hulu.

I want to say that it isn't due to it being in the anime biz.

However crunchyroll does show up next to names like Netflix and hulu (at least in the background), so if someone wanted to make a statement against streaming without making a huge statement It could be a possible choice (for them).

Most likely though, is just a group of bored Hackers doing it "Because it's there" (maybe to get people to go to their Illegal streaming sites?).

at least its happening when the Japanese TV Seasons change, so we have the fewest shows being affected...

That really sums it up with nothing else to be said. Anyways, I blame the governments extremely lackluster and softhanded approach to cybercrimes. Someone could steal millions of dollars from hundreds of thousands of people, completely ruining their credit and lives and their punishment would be on par or less than a person sticking up two people for $50 on a street corner.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The part that does not make sense is why no one has claimed to have DDoSed the crunchyroll site. Script kiddies LOVE bragging rights, So it point that it indeed an extortion (attempt?) by the mafia or crunchyroll was not prepared for the high end of year and made false accusations to save face.

What "high end of the year"? Many shows have either wrapped or are on a break, so CR's traffic at this time was probably lower than usual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11