• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
reminds me a bit of this one "fansub purist" from JAFAX the year we somehow got Tiffany Grant as a guest, who went ON AND ON AND ON about how dubs, even good ones, "fundamentally alter" the show and how because of that true fans shouldn't support dubs at all. no sense, no logic, just trying to justify going for fansubs instead of legit products. (BTW, you should have heard his attempts to say why importing BDs if they came with English subs wasn't an option. it was a riot.)

I will never understand those type of fans. Confused Mad Rolling Eyes

What kind of logic is this, and here's my reaction after reading the bold and italicize part:

it gets even more WTF when you realize he did this IN A PANEL about the WESTERN PART OF THE ANIME INDUSTRY being hosted by TIFFANY GRANT, AMY HOWARD WILSON, and DAVID WILSON. this kid intentionally walked into a panel focusing on the US part of the anime industry JUST TO RANT OUT HIS JUSTIFICATIONS FOR PIRATING TO A BIG NAME VA AND TWO OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN THE AMERICAN ANIME INDUSTRY AND ENGLISH DUBBING and actually helped get the American anime fandom running with their work localizing an iconic anime series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I will never understand those type of fans. Confused Mad Rolling Eyes

The idea is that they are convinced fansubbers will deliver the most pure and faithful translations because they're not doing it for money (which is not always true, as some fansubbers are not faithful at all--though it's hard to tell when you don't know the language--and some fansubbers DO turn a profit from their operations), and they like their anime as Japanese as possible, because the grass is greener on the other side.

That is, they see fansubbers as a grassroots movement working against the huge corporations run by fat balding white men in business suits. The small farms up against Monsanto. Your mom-and-pop store up against Wal•Mart. Your independent art-house film up against News Corporation.

Another strong camp are the people with a heavy sense of entitlement and self-centeredness, with a hint of narcissism. They don't oppose the legitimate businesses for any moral ground, but because the fansubbers will provide them with anime for free and with no commercial interruptions. When pressured about how anyone can expect to turn a profit form it, they provide excuses (as was discussed above), but in reality, they honestly don't care.

Both groups would have a reason to attack Crunchyroll: The former would see Crunchyroll as an organization that's sold out to the Man, soul and all, and the latter would see Crunchyroll as a huge obstacle in the way of what they really want.

In the last couple of years, I have also seen a third group pop up: The people who are against any sort of translation to anime. These are those people who have taken up Japanese classes solely to watch anime or read manga in their native language, then look down on anybody who relies on translations from Japanese (but curiously, not any other language). This is unlikely to attack Crunchyroll though, as their grudge lies with consumers and not the companies (though they resent these companies for providing localized content), and it is so far a tiny and not particularly loud minority.

Weazul-chan wrote:
reminds me a bit of this one "fansub purist" from JAFAX the year we somehow got Tiffany Grant as a guest, who went ON AND ON AND ON about how dubs, even good ones, "fundamentally alter" the show and how because of that true fans shouldn't support dubs at all.

I can immediately spot a hole in that argument: Any translation, of any sort, will fundamentally alter something. It's where we got the phrase "lost in translation" from. Anybody who thinks it's possible to translate something and not change even the most infintescimal thing has never translated anything before.

If dubs fundamentally alter a show, so does any subtitling, including fansubs. The only thing that argument proved was that this purist was scraping for excuses.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
it gets even more WTF when you realize he did this IN A PANEL about the WESTERN PART OF THE ANIME INDUSTRY being hosted by TIFFANY GRANT, AMY HOWARD WILSON, and DAVID WILSON. this kid intentionally walked into a panel focusing on the US part of the anime industry JUST TO RANT OUT HIS JUSTIFICATIONS FOR PIRATING TO A BIG NAME VA AND TWO OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN THE AMERICAN ANIME INDUSTRY AND ENGLISH DUBBING and actually helped get the American anime fandom running with their work localizing an iconic anime series.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

OK that is even more....I just can't describe or what to say on this. The guy that did this sound like a ANN troll spewing out endless soapbox.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

The idea is that they are convinced fansubbers will deliver the most pure and faithful translations because they're not doing it for money (which is not always true, as some fansubbers are not faithful at all--though it's hard to tell when you don't know the language--and some fansubbers DO turn a profit from their operations), and they like their anime as Japanese as possible, because the grass is greener on the other side.

That is, they see fansubbers as a grassroots movement working against the huge corporations run by fat balding white men in business suits.

Well I stop watching fansub anime after finding out most of the anime I've seen had subpar translation, censorship from the TV version and not from the uncut master. Also the mentality of anime fans that keep soapboxing western companies are bad and pulling hypocrisy was the reason I stopped watching fansub anime.

Leafy sea Dragon, you also wrote:
In the last couple of years, I have also seen a third group pop up: The people who are against any sort of translation to anime. These are those people who have taken up Japanese classes solely to watch anime or read manga in their native language, then look down on anybody who relies on translations from Japanese (but curiously, not any other language).

Now I probably know where the Japanophile/weeaboo mentality (that include looking down and probably racist mentality against non-Japanese Asians which include Chinese and Korean) probably comes from.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
It's not trolling, regarding that panel. It's a frustrated individual trying to vent his or her frustration at the source, or as close to the source as possible, while hopefully persuading the audience.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It's not trolling, regarding that panel. It's a frustrated individual trying to vent his or her frustration at the source, or as close to the source as possible, while hopefully persuading the audience.

But it still soapboxing in my opinion. Soapboxing depend on the situation can become trolling. From my POV, what that dude just did I would judge that as soapboxing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
It IS soapboxing.

I'd distinguish it from trolling though, as soapboxing has the intent of persuasion without provocation whereas trolling has the intent of provocation without persuasion.

Back on topic, I actually don't have a Crunchyroll account, but I was considering it--then the DDoS attack happened. Now that it's gone, I should go check it out. The reason it's taken so long for me is because I hate signing up for things. I don't have any social media accounts, for instance, except Google+, which is solely to comment on YouTube.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't have any social media accounts, for instance, except Google+, which is solely to comment on YouTube.

You can dissociate your google+ account from the youtube account and then delete your google+ account, I know because I did less than a month ago.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. Will I still get notifications from people who comment via Google+?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Just to let people on ANN know, CR is now making it up for what happened, please read this and I'll quote:

darlingdanichan, Manga Brand Manager of Crunhyroll wrote:

For our free users ~ you will have access to videos in HD on the site from [red]now through the New Years weekend[/red]. You need to login or signup for a free account, and after that, you should be able to access any video available to free users in up to 1080p quality.

For our existing premium members ~ we will be sending out an extra guest pass that you can gift to someone for premium access to Crunchyroll. All-Access members will receive two extra guest passes.

Just dropping this info in case if anyone didn't see this on CR.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
^
That should allow any users that could watch their favorite anime shows due to the shutdown to make up for the downtime.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Hmm, interesting. Will I still get notifications from people who comment via Google+?

I suppose comments on your youtube videos will show (sorry, I have few videos and receive new comments every several months so I have yet to receive a new comment like I used before they force me to join google+). But they did erased all my old youtube comments (and the repies to those comments), I suppose that is google's revenge Sad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
Aw man, that'd be a dealbreaker for me. I find the comments to be my favorite part of YouTube, and anything that removes comments is not okay.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

OK that is even more....I just can't describe or what to say on this. The guy that did this sound like a ANN troll spewing out endless soapbox.
nah, not trolling, just someone trying to salve their conscience by justifying their pirating, or some anime pirate ego tripping by trying to make their pirating sound like it's the moral high ground. he honestly sounded like he overtly believed what he said, but his sputtering at being told that there were Japanese BDs with English subs as an option and a few other things told clearly he wanted people to believe he was in the right even if he wasn't.

trolling would imply he intended to sow some level of discord, when it was pretty much just him trying to come off as morally superior. he wanted everyone to agree with him, not to cause argument.

the only satisfying part of it (besides seeing Tiffany Grant tear his excuses apart, I freaking love her, she's shorter than me AND is capable of ripping to shreds the arguments of those spouting BS and readily did so without much hesitation, very weaselish in the most complimentary way) was how many people were facepalming or staring at him open mouthed like they couldn't believe he had the nerve to say that stuff at that panel and to those people. I'm pretty sure there were some people who came to watch that panel who pirated at least some of their content (even if only stuff that hadn't been licensed in some way at the time, or had the license expire long enough ago it only ever got released on VHS) and even that lot thought he was out of line and just damn crazy to go on like that.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Just in case if anybody miss it, one of the member of Lizard Squad has been arrested according to The Guardian from the UK.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Pirates attacking pirates. No honour amongst thieves, though I doubt these wet virtual anarchistic delinquents would know of CR's history to understand that. Poetic justice. Laughing Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11