• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeTenchou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
IT'S BACK! For now...
Miyukichii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Despite being legit now, they still do a lot of things that upset people and I personally have a grudge against them so I'll admit I laughed when I read this. If anyone deserves it that has had it this month, it's CR. Also they never got punished for being illegal but rather rewarded which i still find hilarious.

I don't know what Crunchyroll did that deserved for them to get punish (Besides at the time illegally streaming anime, but then again it's thanks to this reason that they became an official streaming site where people can watch anime, drama, and webshows legally either for free or a cheap paid subscription), but as bored and lazy and strawberry-kun implied even if they did deserve it to have it affect the many people who use the site is terrible, and should not have happen even if Crunchyroll had it common to them. If it's a matter of punishing someone it should be done in a way that it would only affect the person/people responsible for the act. It should not be done in a way that it would affect the individual/group plus innocent people.

mdo7 wrote:

and just a little FYI: I think these same group of hackers are trying to DDOS ANN too according to Tempest.

From reading the messages from the other discussion that did explain why I kept seeing that page every time I visited ANN (something about directing to the site or something). That would also further explain why before then when I visited the site was down (and I was thinking it was due to maintenance). However I no longer seem to see that webpage before visiting ANN. Instead I am taken directly to the site as always.

But I don't get why someone, or is it a group of people, want to target ANN as well as Crunchyroll. I was thinking both websites are niche for someone like them to bother with. But from reading a couple of the responses of this topic I can idea now as to why. Either because they are both affiliated someone way to more mainstream sites, or that it doesn't matter whether a site is niche or mainstream that people like that would target them for whatever reason they have.

For me personally at the moment I don't have any series I was watching or plain to watch/catch up on at the moment on Crunchyroll, but however I was thinking about re watching Little Witch Academy because of how much I liked it. Kind of disappointing that I can't do that at the moment, but I do have other things to watch (as well as other things to do besides watching anime) so it doesn't affect me (that and I have yet to subscribe to them.) I do hope that they can bring the site back soon.

May be too many DMCA complaints ? or May be those who attacked Sony and Xbox servers felt like playing with Crunchyroll too.

But there must be a reason for this. May be Kim Dotcom can save the day again ?

http://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-stops-xbox-and-playstation-attacks-141226/
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope that they can get this fixed soon and that those hackers get a full serving of the justice system.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Is this why we get that weird redirect-ish screen when you click on the animenewsnetwork logo? or try to load the page from a bookmark.
Sad
I managed to watch the most recent ep of World trigger before it bumped me. good thing i'm all caught up on my shows... bad thing is I wanted to go back and marathon watch some older anime. Instead i watch my Moribito DVDs.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps those reasons Miyukichii (although I am not familiar with DMCA).

Also concerning what I said earlier about the redirecting webpage not showing up. It showed up again when I when I click on a link to exit the forums. However it seems to have shown up only once today. I haven't seen it since so far.

AnimeTenchou wrote:
IT'S BACK! For now...

I tried visiting crunchyroll but I was unable to so I guess the site isn't back yet (or it probably was for a short time). I just keep getting something like "unable to load website", or "website is taking too long to load". Thanks you anyway for letting us know Tencho.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Don't really understand why Crunchyroll though. They're a relatively harmless company. The attackers must be heartless to try and take away anime from their fans.
Miyukichii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Don't really understand why Crunchyroll though. They're a relatively harmless company. The attackers must be heartless to try and take away anime from their fans.

I saw a lot of hate between Horrible Subs and Crunchyroll. Basically Horrible Subs few month back among other torrent sites were under huge ddos attacks and were down for few days.

DMCA were the issues and now i think it is pay back time ? Timing looks about right.

Crunchyroll was just another pirate site streaming illegal anime back in the days until it secure a deal with Venrock for 4 million and that is when they decided to turn legal. However, many people hated that fact, $$ is always troubling. That is why you get Horrible Subs who rips Crunchryoll anime and spread them on torrent sites.
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Okay, this is getting pretty riGoddamndiculous.

So much for catchup binge watching. Might as well go to Netflix and watch Magi...before they get hit too Shocked

Thus proving the superiority of physical media! Lets see these jerks try and DDoS my stack of DVDs! Hah!
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
They are probably targeting high subscription platforms rather than sites based on content. Just saying. And trying to be as inconvenient and annoying as possible. Reasons aside, it definitely makes me more conscious of the content I put online and how dependent I am when something in such a prevalent system fails. I think my resolution this year is going to be trying to limit that crap from affecting me, either by excusing myself from the event or limiting my exposure when something goes wrong.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I would like to thank the people for taking down crunchyroll. My younger sister died two days ago. Now I can no longer immerse myself in watching Kuroko's basketball to ease the pain.

Thanks for the added misery.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

I've seen Hearthstone streamers get Ddos'd before...no one is above the petty rage of babies with an internet connection.

Pretty much. And you know in real life offline they're total chicken shits with no spine. So they go online and act like they're hot stuff and are gonna "show people" what they're made of. Yawn. Craplike this is just an excuse for some shut ins to flex their e-penis and show us all how mighty they are by screwing with a website on the internet. Oh no you interrupted our gaming or movie/anime viewing privileges. You forced people to do something else with their time like watch tv or read a book. Oh no!!!!! They might go after Netflix next!!!! The world is over!!!! Rolling Eyes
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Thats a shame. Crunchy hasn't been working on my laptop for a couple of months but I've been using the PS3 app ever since they began allowing non-premium streams with ads like their site. I was gonna catch up on Yuki Yuna, so this sucks. Like others say, Crunchy seems like an odd target though. Oh, and I've also been getting those redirecting pages on ANN.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Miyukichii wrote:
a deal with Venrock for 4 million

Or Jail time.
If you were given the choice which would you pick?
I'm vaguely familiar with Horriblesubs. Someone refresh my memory here....

Anyway... I'm glad CR went legal. It supports the creators. I never really liked watching Illegally. It just bothered me, but back in '07 there really wasn't any other way to watch anime... Streaming (legally) didn't exist! Stupid DDos attack.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
There wasn't any other way to watch anime? Really? It's called dvds. It's called rental services like Netflix or others that were specific to anime. There were plenty of other options. People were just too impatient and couldn't stand having to wait heaven forbid. That's another topic for another time though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
I would like to thank the people for taking down crunchyroll. My younger sister died two days ago. Now I can no longer immerse myself in watching Kuroko's basketball to ease the pain.

Thanks for the added misery.

My Condolences for your loss. *hugs* If I could switch places with you, even for a few hours, to give you an escape from the pain... I would. I would totally do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11