• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Miyukichii wrote:
_Cyphon_ wrote:
Don't really understand why Crunchyroll though. They're a relatively harmless company. The attackers must be heartless to try and take away anime from their fans.

I saw a lot of hate between Horrible Subs and Crunchyroll. Basically Horrible Subs few month back among other torrent sites were under huge ddos attacks and were down for few days.

DMCA were the issues and now i think it is pay back time ? Timing looks about right.

Crunchyroll was just another pirate site streaming illegal anime back in the days until it secure a deal with Venrock for 4 million and that is when they decided to turn legal. However, many people hated that fact, $$ is always troubling. That is why you get Horrible Subs who rips Crunchryoll anime and spread them on torrent sites.

Kindly stop spreading absolute BS. CR has nothing to do with the DDoS against those pirate sites last September. The rumor is that the attacks originated from Japan (rumor came from /a/, so that's how reliable it can get), some even theorize that it was due to Gamergate scandal. The DDoS was massive, I don't think CR has the capability to do that.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know about this until I saw the headline here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
There wasn't any other way to watch anime? Really? It's called dvds. It's called rental services like Netflix or others that were specific to anime. There were plenty of other options. People were just too impatient and couldn't stand having to wait heaven forbid. That's another topic for another time though.

Uhh... So you're cool with paying $60 for a season of anime that you might not even like? With streaming if you don't like it then you pick something else, with Dvd's you're pretty much stuck with it.
To my knowledge Netflix did not have anime at the time.

[EDIT: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. -TK]
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I worked at a place that got hit by anonymous. They would flood the server with organic requests, which ip they hit was basically by chance. We were in thier open IRC chat room and some random person would say `Hit x ip` and some people would hit x, while others would say 'no hit y' and they would go after y ip instead. There was no real leader, just a mob. The attack was so bad it shut down the colo and caused internet connection issues in that part of town. No difference between these DDOS morons and anarchists burning down a business.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Kindly stop spreading absolute BS. CR has nothing to do with the DDoS against those pirate sites last September. The rumor is that the attacks originated from Japan (rumor came from /a/, so that's how reliable it can get), some even theorize that it was due to Gamergate scandal. The DDoS was massive, I don't think CR has the capability to do that.

I read that DDoS attack against those sites was done by someone claiming to be Anti-GamerGate as a supplement to the whole [url=/hashtag/reclaimanimeavatars]#ReclaimAnimeAvatars[/url] movement that rose up with GamerGate since they noticed a lot of GamerGate supporters had anime avatars so they attacked anime websites to get back at those people. I don't think it had anything to do with CrunchyRoll, but I'm not sure why CR and ANN might be targetted. Targetting PSN and Xbox so all the people who got new systems couldn't play Call of Duty and stuff online makes sense, but I don't think CR and ANN going down for a few days would cause a public uproar, so maybe it's another party doing it.
One Time

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
shterraarson wrote:
We should unleash the full wrath of Otaku fury on these jackasses.
Indeed, this action must be met with swift justice and the utmost ferocity. It is time to "Cry HAVOC, and let slip the Dogs of War!" Evil or Very Mad

Hackers of the world unite!!!!!!
They can attack our governments, our military, and our big business; but they can not have our ANIME. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

It is about time someone started targeting these stupid people that just do things to piss others off. I understand going after a country or doing something for money, but what are you really going to get for attacking an anime site? I'll tell you: a bunch of angry people (including other hackers). My friends in high school were all of the highest IQ people and the ones that had the skill to hack were the ones that got me into anime, so I know there is a good group of us that can stage a counter attack.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
#829750 wrote:

Uhh... So you're cool with paying $60 for a season of anime that you might not even like? With streaming if you don't like it then you pick something else, with Dvd's you're pretty much stuck with it.
To my knowledge Netflix did not have anime at the time.

Well I live in a world where I pay for the services and merchandise I want. So yea I was. And that's why you did research first on the shows. And yea, Netflix had anime back then. I got the dvds in the mail all the time. There was another service, forget the name, that was anime only but worked like Netflix. A bit more expensive but it was only anime. Back then companies also sent out lots of promo dvds with episodes and trailers etc. And if you didn't like the show there's always ebay to recoup some of the money. Try paying $25-$30 for a single vhs tape with 3-4 episodes on it. Cause that's what we did in the day when we didn't have other options. People complaining about box set prices for the most part never bought single dvds for a series, let alone vhs tapes.
Matriel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:

On a side note, Kotaku just posted a very informative article on how a DDOS Attack works. It's a very good read.

Here's another good article, DDoS Attack Hits 400 Gbit/s, Breaks Record. It was written a while ago but is fairly descriptive in its explanation of how these reflection attacks work, and according to the article, DDoS protection seems to be CloudFlare's thing now.

It always sucks when ANN is inaccessible due to one of CloudFlare's servers having issues, but I would rather have ANN be a client of CloudFlare and be protected than be a victim of these attacks. Don't know if Crunchy had DDoS protection in place (I would hope they had some sort of protection in place), but it really terrible they were successfully hit.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
I would like to thank the people for taking down crunchyroll. My younger sister died two days ago. Now I can no longer immerse myself in watching Kuroko's basketball to ease the pain.

Thanks for the added misery.
bruh that is the absolute worst feeling in the world I had a family member die about a couple of years ago and anime was the only way to soothe the pain so my heart and my condolences go to you and your family in these trying times be easy and god bless
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well it ain't a coincidence that there were DDOS attempt on ANN around the same time CR, PSN, and Xbox Live are facing it. So I think it's the same group of hackers.

Copycat crimes are common. Any finger pointing is conjecture until more information is available.

That's another possibility, but I doubt that. It's too well-coordinated and the attack are similar.

TheAncientOne wrote:

I've also seen that same screen pop up lately at Sankaku Complex, so perhaps they have a hit-list of anime related sites.

So Sankaku Complex is targeted too, huh? Another reason I don't think this is a copycat crime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeTenchou

Aquasakura wrote:
Perhaps those reasons Miyukichii (although I am not familiar with DMCA).

Also concerning what I said earlier about the redirecting webpage not showing up. It showed up again when I when I click on a link to exit the forums. However it seems to have shown up only once today. I haven't seen it since so far.

AnimeTenchou wrote:
IT'S BACK! For now...

I tried visiting crunchyroll but I was unable to so I guess the site isn't back yet (or it probably was for a short time). I just keep getting something like "unable to load website", or "website is taking too long to load". Thanks you anyway for letting us know Tencho.

idk, it's been online here in the UK since I posted that it was, videos and all.

Last edited by AnimeTenchou on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mizerous

prime_pm wrote:
Okay, this is getting pretty riGoddamndiculous.

So much for catchup binge watching. Might as well go to Netflix and watch Magi...before they get hit too Shocked

The site is back well the news section at least :/
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
I would like to thank the people for taking down crunchyroll. My younger sister died two days ago. Now I can no longer immerse myself in watching Kuroko's basketball to ease the pain.

Thanks for the added misery.

i'm really sorry. Sad
timothy.stewart.319

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I did a little digging around on the net, and I finally found a way to access Crunchyroll despite them being offline. Just use a proxy server! For Opera, Google Chrome, (and MAYBE Firefox), use BrowSec. You can find it in their respective web stores:

[Links removed]

I hope that helps, you guys! Enjoy!

[EDIT: Took out the links in the case of any legality issues arising. -TK]
Thrasher420

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Lizard squad and hackers like them are nothing but spoiled little mamas boys/girls who have no life. Try to do something more constructive with the talent you have. Grow up and move out of your parents basement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11