• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Questionable Anime-Original Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
I don't see what the problem was with the ending to Bokurano. Was the ending to Claymore an Anime only ending. It looked like they got to the last chapter of the arc and just ended it.
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I don't see what the problem was with the ending to Bokurano. Was the ending to Claymore an Anime only ending. It looked like they got to the last chapter of the arc and just ended it.

They essentially ended the anime series it in the middle of the manga series. The anime left out the 2nd act of Claymore, they never found out where or what happened with Raki, they left a lot of answers about the Organization unanswered, how people become youma and what youma are. The ending for anime Claymore was just boring for a fight that the series was building up to.
Beige_One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Can confirm: the child kill count in the Bokurano anime is the same as in the manga. I bought the books after I watched the fansubs because no way was that anime going to get licensed (and then, later, Discotek proved me wrong). I've heard that Morita wanted to save them, but it looks to me like his hands were tied.

[Edit: it is off by one; I got some wires crossed and misjudged when I went back to check. herp derp]

The anime-only subplot with spoiler[The Masters] does seem like a half-baked attempt to go out on a somewhat uplifting note, but I'd say the endings in general are pretty similar.

Last edited by Beige_One on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought Gangsta was a shoe-in for this list.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Re: Bokurano.

The anime totally took the legs out of Chizuru's character arc by pulling a lot of punches with her character because of the material involved. Most of the character's family issues or psychological issues are reframed or toned down. Characters that live in the anime don't in the manga, either. I don't want to write out all the spoilers here but http://www.hypnopixel.com/content/standard_v2.asp?name=Tomes_Archives_BokuranoAdaptation has a decent comparison list. Skip to the end to find out the major differences in the two's ending. They aren't similar.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
[Maoyu is one of my favorite shows! I wouldn't say the ending is bad per se, but it definitely leaves me wanting more.

Maoyu ending wasn't anime original but a sequel hook for future events of the novels.

Anyway, I hated Flame of Recca anime's ending since it leave a lot of plot holes unsolved and doesn't show what happens to most of the characters in the end.

Another original anime ending i dislike was Chrono Crusade and i know that everyone hated Kumamiko's anime ending.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
You have no idea how happy Hiroyuki Morita didn't get any more work as a director after Bokurano. I hope that hack never works on anything ever again. It's rare to see someone with such a dislike for the original source working on an adaptation. Why did he sign on if he hated it? For the paycheck, probably. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

And to those saying that the endings were similar? DId you even READ the manga? It's nowhere NEAR the same. Not only that but everything that happened up to the ending is different as well. The anime is S.H.I.T.
Beige_One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
In my defense, they're more similar than they would be if Morita actually had "[written] in an ending that would allow him to save the child robot pilots from their fatal manga fate", as the article states.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
When I think Anime Original Endings my mind immediately goes to Soul Eater and the debacle that was it's anime ending. Some of the stuff it does it at least interesting but it's all kinda a jumbled rushed mess.

the only thing it did better than the canon manga ending was spoiler[Not keep flipflopping with Chrona and actually let the character be redeemed and be good instead of constantly jerking around with if he/she was evil or not]

I would definitely like to see them have another go at Soul Eater. I haven't read the manga so I don't know how it ends, but I have met people who weren't satisfied with it though. They say some of the characters' conflicts and issues never got completely wrapped up or were done so hastily.

DRosencraft wrote:
For me, worst endings went to Inuyasha until they came back with the wrap-up series. I just remember being so roiled that they stopped right when they did. Right now my biggest gripes are Pandora Hearts (a series I don't think most folks cared for either way) and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (again, a series I don't know most folks cared for). Trinity Blood is on my list too, but there are so many caveats and background to the issues with that anime that I've sort of always given it a pass.

It felt like the team working on the anime were just going through the motions during its last chunks of episodes. I don't blame them either, considering the monster-of-the-week approach the series had all the way up until the end. It ended with the episode about the rat swarms, was it?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
If we are talking mid plot drop off endings, than Air Gear is king of that game.

Can you elaborate on that?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

They essentially ended the anime series it in the middle of the manga series. The anime left out the 2nd act of Claymore, they never found out where or what happened with Raki, they left a lot of answers about the Organization unanswered, how people become youma and what youma are. The ending for anime Claymore was just boring for a fight that the series was building up to.
What I meant was they didn't create an Anime only ending, like how Soul Eater and FMA 03 had original martial. Didn't they just end at a certain point of what was canon material?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
*glances at poll results*

How can anyone possibly rank Outlaw Star up there? I mean, everyone knows that that episode "does little to further the plot, and is little more than an excuse for the characters to get naked."
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You have no idea how happy Hiroyuki Morita didn't get any more work as a director after Bokurano. I hope that hack never works on anything ever again. It's rare to see someone with such a dislike for the original source working on an adaptation. Why did he sign on if he hated it? For the paycheck, probably. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

And to those saying that the endings were similar? DId you even READ the manga? It's nowhere NEAR the same. Not only that but everything that happened up to the ending is different as well. The anime is S.H.I.T.

You know, that speaks of how SELFISH anime viewers coming from source materials are in comparison with comic book readers who watch any comic book adaptation of a series or movie. When the latter recieve a good movie or tv series, most readers care little about the changes because they know it's a given. And when they read the comic, they appreciate the comic as it's own thing, instead of saying "Why they cut this stuff from the comic in the movie? They should put this, it's important to the plot. sigh, this is a bad adaptation" like anime viewers are doing today. That's the same thing I wanna watch anime directors do today. Oh how frustrated I am that My Hero anime lacks some non-canon stuff that could make this sports arc a bit more fun. It loses details in comparison to Naruto's Chunin Exam arc, and the MHA director prefered to copy the same manga stuff.

The director of Bokurano, of course that he hated the Bokurano manga, so he wanted to put his own vision of it because he thinks the manga may have an unchallenging, basic writing. Can't he do that? Why can't he? He has the right to do how he wants. Not how "fans" want that he does. And the anime ended up being well received. Just say that you don't like it. But check other reviews about the anime before you spout nonsense.

Would you say the same you said about Hiroyuki to Mamoru Oshii for his version of Ghost in the Shell? I thank him for having his own awesome vision about GITS and make a good animated movie out of that piece of crap that Masamune Shirow wrote, that is shallow as heck, has needless nudity, has no interesting themes, it has nothing impressive to show. I read up to 5 chapters of that GITS 1 manga before I dropped it. GITS feels more like Oshii's own franchise than Shirow's.

What I mean is, the 90's were the best decade for anime adaptations, where directors could do their own shit instead of pleasing fans by doing 1:1 copy adaptations like today.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Maoyu is one of my favorite shows! I wouldn't say the ending is bad per se, but it definitely leaves me wanting more.

Same here. Harem trappings aside, I otherwise loved what the series was doing.

Quote:
Regarding Claymore; the first couple times I watched the show, I didn't (and still don't) think the ending is all THAT bad; it does cap off some themes that had been built up earlier in the show. That said, and given I'm the biggest Claymore fan I know, I can't say the ending is "good" either. The pacing of the story, which had been so fast and furious until that point, slows to a crawl for an unexciting 3-episode fight that makes no sense if you've read the manga past that point (Priscilla is astronomically more powerful than Claire at that point). It's a shame, too; there's so much stuff that happens later in the Claymore manga that would look awesome animated, but never will be Sad

You have a rival in me in terms of being a big Claymore fan. Wink

While I won't dispute that the final fight in the anime is not one of the anime's high points, the anime nailed the part after the fight, and that was at least partly based on manga content. I actually thought that part improved on how the manga handled it and will still resolutely argue that the whole series and nearly every scene in it very specifically built towards that particular resolution (i.e., that the series was actually about spoiler[saving Clare from herself rather than Clare beating Priscilla]). And while the ending does, indeed, leave all sorts of loose ends, it was the best possible way to handle cutting off the overall story at that point. I also continue to question whether or not animating the rest of the series would have been effective. While there's some cool individual scenes in it, I didn't find the story and characterizations anywhere near as interesting in the post-time-jump part of the manga as in the first part.

And yes, I'm fully aware that some of my above-stated opinions are minority ones among those who watched the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeBoy16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

The anime aired two years before the manga ended so of course the ending was going to be different, like with the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime. My guess is that the director was intrigued by the concept of the manga when he first heard about it and that he probably didn't read the actual manga and find out how grimdark it was until after he signed on to the project. I can understand why the staff toned down and changed some things since some of the events and themes from the manga would have been way too dark to air on Japanese television.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6