• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Questionable Anime-Original Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind a remake for Claymore to adapt the full manga. Although, personally, I don't think it would take much effort to write around the ending of the Claymore anime to get it back on track again for another season to adapt the remaining volumes.

Either way it's a shame this didn't get a full adaptation. I really want to see some of the stuff from the remaining half in all it's animated, epic, glory. It does seem like Madhouse is the mood to do sequels now, so maybe a Claymore 2 isn't entirely out the window as a project now.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime-original ending can be known to cause viewers to uncontrollably gnash their teeth or scratch their heads.

I do more than that.

This list only focused on anime that started off faithfully and ended with a bad anime original ending, but I've got something far worse than that - when the entire season is nothing but filler nonsense. Off the top of my head I can think of two - Kuroshitsuji II and Shugo Chara! Party!. The latter being twice as long as the former, making it even worse. spoiler[Yes, I know the last episode of Party kinda sorta adapted chapter 42, but they cut so many things out, Ikuto and Tadase were so OOC, the latter wasn't even supposed to be there, and it was just such a train wreck that I don't consider it an adaption at all. Apparently Satelight never got the memo that AmuxIkuto was endgame, even though chapter 42 made it extremely obvious. ]

I like to pretend that they don't exist, and just continue concentrating on their manga. At least A-1 Pictures learned their lesson and are treating Kuroshitsuji anime adaptions much better now.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Madhouse expected to make a second season of Claymore, but Shueisha decided not to spend the money. By around episode 22 or 23, there are so many loose ends that could never be resolved, even given that the manga had many more years to go.

For the poll, I had to add SHIROBAKO which I found surprisingly absent. While I enjoy that show very much and have watched it a couple of times, I discovered how similar the girls' faces were when making this avatar:

The girls in Sakura Quest don't quite suffer the same fate at the hands of PAW, though Yoshino could easily be Aoi's sister.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
For the poll, I had to add SHIROBAKO which I found surprisingly absent.

My vote was cast for that as well! In retrospect, I struggle to recall each female lead's distinguishing features beyond the minutiae of their similar goals. To the show's mild demerit, the most physically and psychologically diverse cast members were only allotted secondary roles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
*glances at poll results*

How can anyone possibly rank Outlaw Star up there? I mean, everyone knows that that episode "does little to further the plot, and is little more than an excuse for the characters to get naked."

You are been sarcastic, right?
Everybody knows that hot springs episodes, like beach episodes are there exactly to get characters naked for fan service. In these episodes the plot step aside to give way to eye candy, to both male and female fans.

Outlaw Star is a fine example of that and episode 23 is notorious as the episode where Cartoon Network Toonami's go full stupid mode and didn't aired that episode so it don't hurt the "sensibilities" of the American audience.

In reality Outlaw Star was the show where they show that censorship is not only a Japanese problem because Cartoon Network heavily edit it, covering any nudity in the show.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Ano Natsu de Matteru could be on that list for it's rather non-ending ending.
Then there is Hyouka. I threw my slipper at the tele at the last few minutes of the last episode. Another slipper throwing moment was the end of Guilty Crown
Never stand near my tele when I'm watching anime. Laughing

Toonami. The programme who's daft decision to air Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-ohki OVA by butchering half of it plus the heavy editing of the floating onsen episode will live in infamy. Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I assume we're talking about "Unresolved pasted-on cliffhangers to stretch out a next season"--Kemono Friends springs to mind, but not unreasonably--and not just looney non-manga endings for Artsy's sake to wrap things up, like Video Girl Ai OVA's sudden tone-destroying 180-degree head-scratcher.
(Seriously, the heck?...When did a cute 90's-Megumi magical-closet-girl romcom suddenly turn into a Persona game?) Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, two of my most hated anime made the list - Flowers of Evil and Gantz. I don't hate Gantz for its ending - I was just so glad it was over and I didn't care how at that point. But Flowers was doing great up until the bait-and-switch middle finger of the final episode, which I just can't forgive.

I almost never read manga, but after watching Bokurano and then reading all the manga fans' wailing and gnashing of teeth over how totally different the manga was and how terrible the anime was, and even some examples, I caved and read the manga. And when I was done, I really couldn't see what all the complaining was about. There were some differences, but nothing that really made one version superior to the other. And some of the differences I'd been looking out for never materialized, so I don't even know what they were on about in the first place.

I can't give examples because it's been awhile, but I do remember coming away from the manga feeling like I'd read essentially the same story and enjoyed the anime more. Everybody's mileage varies.

I also was quite satisfied with the anime ending of Soul Eater, having not read the manga, and with no desire to. I dunno, if some people around here are to be believed, being a manga reader is a life of constant, soul-crushing disappointments in the form of every adaptation to anime. I don't know why people put themselves through such excruciating pain and torment, and why they don't just stick to manga and skip the heartbreak of anime.

Though it would seem to define the same-face trope, I didn't vote for Osumatsu-san, since the anime in no way suffers from it. Smile There were a lot of candidates for the new poll that weren't on the list, and it was hard to pick one to add. I passed on Joker Game because I thought maybe the same-face-ness was intentional in that they're supposed to not stand out. I remember having problems sorting out some of the characters in X, but in retrospect I think that was partly due to being fairly new to anime then. I finally went with Junjou Romantica, because not only can't I tell the characters apart in that, but I can't tell them from the characters in Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi either. Laughing
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I like how you mentioned Gantz during the Tokko part then Gantz ended up being the next on the list. I started Gantz with the anime, so watching that ending was a WTF that made me go read the manga. At least they used the mission that was in the manga, but that's it.

A show with a questionable anime original ending would be Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters now that Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions exists. This is in regards to the character, Seto Kaiba, who did spoiler[not appear in the final arc of the manga until the last page of the final chapter. He missed out on what happened.] That's the point. Aside from all the anime original stuff the anime did to make it its own canon, Kaiba appears in the final arc, but the thing is that spoiler[he accepts Yugi Mutou (not to be confused with Atem) as a true duelist after defeating the God cards and beating Atem then seeing him off.] Now with the plot reveal (from the early trailers) of The Dark Side of Dimensions, Kaiba spoiler[appears to obsessed with dueling Atem since he is looking for the Sennen Puzzle, and Yugi is just a stepping stone (and in his way) towards that goal.] That's a contradiction to the anime original ending. That's not a problem since Japan never promoted the movie as a sequel to DM, but instead the manga as intended. Then we have 4K Media promoting the movie as a sequel to DM when the movie is a sequel to the manga, resulting in anime only people being mislead. That's the problem. At least Viz Media promoted it correctly.
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
All anime-original endings are questionable at best and horrendous at worst.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
The director of Bokurano, of course that he hated the Bokurano manga, so he wanted to put his own vision of it because he thinks the manga may have an unchallenging, basic writing. Can't he do that? Why can't he? He has the right to do how he wants.

Yes, and Michael Bay has the right to do whatever he wants with the Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchises, too. Are fans "selfish" because they don't like those movies, too?

SkerllyF wrote:
Would you say the same you said about Hiroyuki to Mamoru Oshii for his version of Ghost in the Shell? I thank him for having his own awesome vision about GITS and make a good animated movie out of that piece of crap that Masamune Shirow wrote, that is shallow as heck, has needless nudity, has no interesting themes, it has nothing impressive to show.

Oh, you don't want to go down that road. The Ghost in the Shell film is brilliant and gets a lot of things right, but "lack of unnecessary nudity" is not one of them.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I almost never read manga, but after watching Bokurano and then reading all the manga fans' wailing and gnashing of teeth over how totally different the manga was and how terrible the anime was, and even some examples, I caved and read the manga. And when I was done, I really couldn't see what all the complaining was about. There were some differences, but nothing that really made one version superior to the other. And some of the differences I'd been looking out for never materialized, so I don't even know what they were on about in the first place.

I agree, and I've always maintained that the differences between the anime and the manga aren't as big a deal to people who never read the manga prior to watching the anime.

yuna49 wrote:
For the poll, I had to add SHIROBAKO which I found surprisingly absent.

Yeah, I went for that one, too.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
You know, that speaks of how SELFISH anime viewers coming from source materials are in comparison with comic book readers who watch any comic book adaptation of a series or movie. When the latter recieve a good movie or tv series, most readers care little about the changes because they know it's a given. And when they read the comic, they appreciate the comic as it's own thing, instead of saying "Why they cut this stuff from the comic in the movie? They should put this, it's important to the plot. sigh, this is a bad adaptation" like anime viewers are doing today. That's the same thing I wanna watch anime directors do today. Oh how frustrated I am that My Hero anime lacks some non-canon stuff that could make this sports arc a bit more fun. It loses details in comparison to Naruto's Chunin Exam arc, and the MHA director prefered to copy the same manga stuff.

Oh, the story's the same for all hardcore fans of some particular medium--and go even futher in and you'll find people saying that there should be no adaptations made at all (which you can find here too). ANN gets a lot of hardcore fans of anime, so it should not be surprising to see people commonly say they want 1:1 adaptations regardless of how unfeasible, expensive, or nonsensical it might be. (FoxTrot rips into this mindset pretty often). You'll find there are comic book fans like that too, but they're not quite as loud because superhero movies are a proven success with the mainstream, shifting it from cries of "They shouldn't be doing this!" to quiet resentment. Inversely, look for more casual fans of anime and manga (besides me...or maybe including me), and you'll find people who don't care about these modifications and maybe even like the adaptation better than the original.

In addition, western comic books frequently change authors and reset themselves. People who read a lot of them are used to the stories swerving, shifting focus, or starting anew when someone else takes over, so having someone else come in and adapt their own universe is a circumstance they can take well. By contrast, nearly all manga has one single author from beginning to end and follow one single continuity. It'd be understandable if a fan of a manga gets upset over even the smallest change because there has never been any change in authorship causing a change in tone or a full reboot of the franchise.

I've used them as examples in the past, but they're still useful as examples so I'll use them again: Zack Snyder's take on Watchmen was an attempt to be as close to a 1:1 adaptation as possible (except for the ending--appropriately enough for this article's topic--which has flame wars on both sides to this day), and Gus van Sant's take on Psycho really WAS a 1:1 remake. Both of them were hated by the viewers. In the case of Watchmen, I met plenty of people who had never read the comic book but saw the movie and disliked it, far out of proportion with the reception to the comic book itself. Things that work in one medium don't necessarily work in another.

Gina Szanboti wrote:

Sounds like a matter of which story they saw first. I don't know if it's related or not, but I have a better opinion of the Star Wars prequel movies than most others because I never saw the original trilogy until I saw the prequel movies.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'd call the Flowers of Evil ending "anime original". They intended to make it a multi cour work, but the home video sales completely bombed. Sad because I thought it was one of the most amazing things I'd ever seen (especially that ending to episode seven WOW!)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

The director of Bokurano, of course that he hated the Bokurano manga, so he wanted to put his own vision of it because he thinks the manga may have an unchallenging, basic writing. Can't he do that? Why can't he?

That's not why he changed it and the description of "unchallenging, basic writing" is the antithesis of the manga and even the anime. The story regularly challenges viewer perceptions of a "good person" and "bad person" for a morally gray area as well as survival and, somewhat metaphorically, war.

The director hated the manga because a bunch of kids die in it and he didn't want to kill them off. As others said, he couldn't have his way in that regard entirely but he asked the creator if he could "save them." His response was as long as he didn't use magic. So instead he invented the ending he did, conjured up a cabal that forces the multiverse battles, etc. Many of the character arcs were changed that dealt with rape, murder (and whether its justifiable or not), and suicide.

I'm not pissed at the director to the degree that some have shared, but this is one of those cases where the project was a mismatch and I don't think someone who outright hates the source material should be working on something that has these kind of serious, envelope pushing themes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I think the (Streamlines?) dub for 3x3 Eyes (with Eddie Frierson and Reba West as our main characters) dubbed the lines so that spoiler[the person Yakumo actually loved was the snake that was the jewel in Pai's forehead that blocked her saiyan powers rather than Pai, the mild-mannered girl who was Parvati's sorta-alternate personality] just so that the original OAV ended there. Which made ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE! Given that I waited for... I don't remember if it was three or five years for them to make more of it. I hadn't even read that far in the manga, and still I felt that something about it was off. The redubbed rerelease fixed this, though, so... yeah.

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to include anime that just hasn't been made for the manga in its entirety, though. Just those that altered actual endings into something completely different.

Oh, another one that springs to mind: Chobits. The manga ended with spoiler[Hideki getting together with Chii despite her being a perfectly ordinary persocon, just with a very dangerous ability. The POINT of the ending was that it was fine to fall in love with persocons just as you were aware of the limitations of that relationship and what it meant]. The anime, however, seemed to go more in a direction of spoiler[Chii having some sort of "awakening", which made her really special compared to the other persocons or something, and somehow altering the other persocons too, therefore it was OK to fall in love with them or something. And I have no idea what else.] It sort of was the polar opposite of what the manga had to say, which struck me as odd, to say the least. The anime ending wasn't terrible, necessarily, but I think I'll consider the manga ending the better one by far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6