• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Questionable Anime-Original Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Outlaw Star is a fine example of that and episode 23 is notorious as the episode where Cartoon Network Toonami's go full stupid mode and didn't aired that episode so it don't hurt the "sensibilities" of the American audience.

Oh if not for the subplot which itself was an issue they likely would've aired that episode as lord knows how many times they aired that one episode of the Tenchi OVA which of course had to be edited.

Also Akagi's ending is less confusing when you remember the manga was still ongoing when they got to the Akagi/Washizu game so they obviously couldn't just throw in an ending (eventhough canonically Akagi doesn't die at this point).
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Hee, Tokko. Besides the complete non-ending, just about the only thing I remember about it was the cheerfully over-the-top dub, especially that one police chief. "Somebody get me a ****ing tank!" Very Happy

Doug Stone as Kunikida truly was a godsend. Very Happy

In regards to anime original endings, I don't really have any I hate. I wasn't bothered by Air Gear and Tokko's non-endings, and the same can be said for GANTZ's weird book end. I personally found the filler ending up to that point to actually be unappreciated. Soul Eater didn't annoy me as much as I heard it would; personally, it had my approval for spoiler[having Stein, Crona, and the little girl whose body Medusa hijacked survive when I expected them all to die]. Hell, even Blue Exorcist's clusterf**k of an ending, I just can't hate. spoiler[Sympathetic Satan and Rin's dumbass mom] may have been "insulting", but I loved how many of the characters treated it like both were a bad thing. spoiler[Shiro thought Yuri was crazy for having a baby with the Devil, her own father had her put on trial as a witch for her insistence she keep it, and even Yukio had trouble believing it from Satan himself until he straight-up asked Earnst about its legitimacy.] Plus it gave JYB an excuse to say "t*ts". Laughing

But if I had to choose, my least favorite anime original ending would be Majikoi. Sure, it might be an eroge adaptation, but if spoiler[Momoyo coming back to life with a kiss, Yamato declaring his love for his hermit crabs in front of his harem, and Mayucchi and Matsukaze randomly switching voices] doesn't comprise an ending so bad it came straight outta Majide Time, then I don't know what does.

[are you serious]
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
jutsuri wrote:
I'm a little puzzled by the antipathy towards the 'manga is better than the anime' arguments, it is no different than saying 'the book is better than the movie' which is always true. When I hear that my reaction is usually: 'well yeah, of course it is.'

Not actually always true. Granted, in many cases, the original is clearly better than the adaptation. In many others, it's close enough that you might as well call it "just as good". But there are cases - rare though they are - where the adaptation is better.

It's like saying that the sequel is never as good as the original, much less better than it. True enough, most of the time - but you do see the odd example where the sequel is better.
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:31 am Reply with quote
Personally, I loved FMA 2003 and have it overall ranked over Brotherhood (though, I've always said that if you took the first half of 2003 and mashed it with the second half of Brotherhood, you'd have the perfect adaptation), but the obvious reason FMA 2003 isn't on the list is because of Brotherhood.

As far as the actual list, can agree with Tokko 100%, and I'm still annoyed that I can't find full versions of its opening and closing themes, which I found to be both awesome songs. But I didn't mind how Gantz ended at all, though a part of that is assuming spoiler[ that the final mission takes place in the mind of an unconscious Kurono during the Buddha alien mission, as a way of manifesting the courage he needs going forward.] But even if it doesn't, I can appreciate it taking a stab at being the anime Jacob's Ladder. And there are some out there that prefer how the anime ended as opposed to what happens past the Buddha alien mission, as it gets pretty crazy and not all of it makes sense or is even explained properly.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
The frequent "The manga was better" comments I see for many anime make me glad I don't rarely read manga.
By that I take it you mean you do read a lot of manga then?

I originally typed "don't read manga", then thought, "That isn't technically true" (although I could count the number I have on one hand), and meant to change "don't" to "rarely" but missed deleting the original word I used.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Morry wrote:
All anime-original endings are questionable at best and horrendous at worst.
So you haven't watched "Golden Time" yet? Wink
If I were making a list of Best Endings Ever that would be my top number one. Wink

I have, and I severely dislike the series as a whole, not just the ending.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Akame ga Kill!? Prior the original rushed ending the anime was a hit... The manga handled the ending so much better.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
No mention of Akame ga Kill!? Prior the original rushed ending the anime was a hit... The manga handled the ending so much better.

I never watched the anime but have heard about it and....yeah, definitely should be on the list. Extremely questionable ending.

Also, regarding the discussion on whether it's possible for adaptations to be "better", that depends on how you're looking at it. Are you looking at the adaptation to be exactly faithful to the series? If so, chances are you'll have trouble finding an adaptation that doesn't deviate at some point, and it's a lot harder to find an adaptation that is faithful AND does the story better than the source material.
If you're looking at it as a rough adaptation of a story, then there's the possibility the adaptation will be better as it can do different things and perhaps improve the story as it isn't bound to certain limitations.
So really, it depends on if you're looking at an adaptation as its own thing with its own individual merits, or strictly as a pure adaptation.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Ando of the Woods isn't on the poll of the week? For shame.

Also, why have things by A-1 Pictures if the studio itself is an option? I'm cool with poking fun at specific things but it just annoys me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:

Both versions of the series aren't anything to write home about.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:

Also, why have things by A-1 Pictures if the studio itself is an option? I'm cool with poking fun at specific things but it just annoys me.

You can make your own choice for the poll, so feel free to add Mr. Ando. Someone added A-1 Pictures, whilst others added individual works.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:

You can make your own choice for the poll, so feel free to add Mr. Ando. Someone added A-1 Pictures, whilst others added individual works.
So that's how it works. Never knew that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
"Anything from A-1 Pictures" is an absurd option. How about Uchuu Kyoudai, do Mutta and Hibito look anything alike? They hardly even look like their parents, especially Hibito!

I don't find the characters in Shin Sekai Yori to suffer much from "same-face syndrome" either. Gin no Saji? tsuritama? Don't think so.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I had somewhat expected to see the 2005 Xebec adaptation of Negima! on this list, but perhaps the manga's ridiculous troll ending has softened fans' views of that particular anime over time.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jutsuri wrote:
I'm a little puzzled by the antipathy towards the 'manga is better than the anime' arguments, it is no different than saying 'the book is better than the movie' which is always true. When I hear that my reaction is usually: 'well yeah, of course it is.'

Simple, actually: there's a whole crowd of people who think that the original source material is always the best interpretation of the story because it's the truest to the original creator's intent. Most of these people resolutely refuse to accept that any alteration or update could actually improve upon the original.

Which is total bunk in my book. Even Shakespeare was known to have revised many (most?) of his plays several times, so I don't put much credence in the belief that modern-day writers are always going to get things perfect the first time. I've done enough writing myself to know from personal experience that the first version of a written work - especially one done under tight timelines - isn't necessarily the best.

I feel compelled to add my own two cents here. Watch L.A. Confidential. Watch/listen to all of the commentaries -- especially where the director and writer discuss their rationales in making the choices they did in adapting the novel to a script format. Then read the novel.

The written medium is different from the audio/video medium. And the same thing applies when comparing manga/comics to anime/cartoons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6