• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shaman King (TV 2021).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:41 am Reply with quote

Season 01: Shaman King (TV 2021)
Season 02: Shaman King Flowers (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 32 volumes, by Hiroyuki Takei)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Bridge

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, supernatural, tournament

Themes: spirits, superpowers

Plot Summary: On a starry night, middle-schooler Manta meets Yoh Asakura, a young shaman who has the ability to talk to spirits, and also has the ability to let them possess him to use their powers. Yoh has a heavy duty on his shoulders: he must become the Shaman King by winning the Shaman Fight, a tournament between shamans that happens only once every 500 years.

Joined by his spirit medium fiancée Anna Kyōyama, his personal samurai spirit Amidamaru, and his other friends, Yoh must also face a larger evil: Hao, a powerful man who aims to create a new world with only shamans by becoming the Shaman King himself.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 1, 2021 (Thursday)
Available on: Netflix

Season 02: January 9, 2024 (Tuesday)
Available on: Netflix

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 52 episodes
Season 02: 13 episodes

Total: 65 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am not really familiar with the franchise, but I thought that the first episode was pretty awful. Character designs are ugly from a lack of consistency (which under the right circumstances can be interesting, reactions seem super outdated, and it just feels bloated. I also kind of got some sort of sense that maybe it both was sticking too close to a manga, and perhaps going through quickly.

For instance, we got told by the short guy who was going to cram school, that the shaman was spacy or something, and then shortly afterwards it is meant to be some big reveal as part of what a shaman needs to do to get in the zone. It was all tell and not show, and just was not really good. There is practically no chance of things like atmosphere which I think it wants to bank on, and was just kind of uncomfortable to watch.

I think it is likely I won't watch any more.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
1:

That was nostalgic.

But I'm gonna have to drop this show. I watched the original series which came out about 20 years ago (holy hell, 2 decades?) , and wasn't a big fan of it. I did finish watching it because any anime was cool for me back then; that's what it felt like for me who began watching anime only then.

It's nice to see the show having a remake with better production values, and even a few original voice actors (Paku Romi as Tao Ren yet again, that's cool). I can still somewhat remember the main events from the original series, and I don't think it's going to be radically different this time round.

Those were fun times, and this show reminds me of them. But I've moved on. Thanks for the memories, Shaman King.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1