• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreater1

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Copy and Paste Anime smile

Why not separate the rating for Movies, OVAs, and Series?

I mean, those 3 are kind of different in many ways right? It's just that, while I'm searching for a good title (mostly Series) in the rating, I notice that they're a bit mixed up (I think almost half of the rating in the Top 50 Best belongs to the movie section and few to Series and OAV). For example, which do you prefer

Princess Mononoke[movie] (included in the top 10 ranking)
or
Fruits Basket [series] (or other good series)

(some people would prefer the long series rather than the short movie)

It's just a suggestion so the rate listing in each section (Series, Movies, OAVs) will have more Titles that are worth watching.

Like this?

Top 50: Series
Top 50: OAV
Top 50: Movies
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see it suggested anywhere in this thread, but I didn't really check anywhere else...
I wanted to see about adding pricing from www.deepdiscountdvd.com to the encyclopedia pricing engine. I often times find their pricing to be up to 33% lower than the lowest price listed under certain releases.
I'm not sure what this would involve, or if it would be a problem with their consent, but I think they've got good deals, and haven't seen found a bootleg from them yet.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
IMHO the Release List Switches should be linked at the top of the Releases page.
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I think Music as a new genre option would be good to have as there are more and more titles being released that center around music. For example: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and Gravitation.
Gankutsuou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
[Posted this in its own thread about a month ago, just realised it shoulda been posted in here.]

The ANN Encyclopedia is prebably the most comprehensive of all encyclopedias on the web relating to anime titles, seiyuu and such, as far as I know anyway. So often When I watch a show and recognise a voice in a show, I come here to check out that seiyuu's credits, where I may have heard them before. Often these lists are quite long and tedious to look through.

Anyway, to my idea. While doing this one time I was thinking it would be a neat feature if when looking at the list of anime that a Seiyuu has worked on, or with any of the other lists (company, staff, etc), if it could have a star (or some kind of indication) next to the ones you've seen (different indications for seen some / seen all / want to see). This could also help if you're looking at a certain company, trying to work through the anime that that company has made, like a checklist.

I really have no idea how this would be done or how feasible it, or if it's already been thought of and dismissed before. But yeah, I thought I'd just suggest it.
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:22 am Reply with quote
Okay, I'd like to see the Image submission for the people category become more like the anime category. The 100 x 100 pixel rule sucks greatly. Plus, if you have a better picture, You can't upload without the help of a Mod. That seems... counterproductive.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dythim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
I would like to suggest adding separate theme song categories for different language dubs of the series. My example will be One Piece:
anime#836

where the English dub opening theme songs are listed, but are not specifically segregated. I also know that the German dub of One Piece also has its own songs, as well. If they were all listed in the same block, it would become very untidy rather quickly.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
I don't know if this would be too much work, but I'd like to see separate ratings for anime according to whether it's subbed or dubbed. For example, I think an anime such as Cardcaptor Sakura should have it's subbed, original version be totally separated from the edited, dubbed version. I have a strong suspicion that the people who have seen and rated that version are the reason why the series isn't higher in ranking.

I'm a sub watcher almost exclusively except for when I watch anime on television and I tend to get different feelings between watching subs and dubs of the same anime in general so I think it would be more helpful to do this, especially for Cardcaptor Sakura which really should be separated into two different versions (Cardcaptor Sakura and Cardcaptors). If this is not a good idea or it's too much work, please let me know.
DaZ616

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote
Suggestion:
When you go to search for a anime in the encyclopedia and click on the anime and you scroll down to the japanese cast or eng cast section etc, you should place pictures of the character the voice actors plays.

E.g. Naruto:
Under japanese cast-
Junko Takeuchi as Naruto Uzumaki -> Place a small picture of Naruto here <-

That way, people searching for anime will see which voice actors play which character and basically get an idea of what the charactor looks like.

If you dont like the "placing a smalll picture" next to the name
maybe a link to another page with a picture of the character and characters stats:

Eg.
Junko Takeuchi as Naruto Uzumaki <- when you click on link; Naruto Uzumaki, it goes to another page showing a picture of naruto and his stats, such as age, hieght, weight, gender, etc etc

thats my suggestion.

DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
DaZ616 wrote:
Suggestion:
When you go to search for a anime in the encyclopedia and click on the anime and you scroll down to the japanese cast or eng cast section etc, you should place pictures of the character the voice actors plays.

<snip>
Quote:
Junko Takeuchi as Naruto Uzumaki <- when you click on link; Naruto Uzumaki, it goes to another page showing a picture of naruto and his stats, such as age, hieght, weight, gender, etc etc

Add the ability to include a description of the character, make character names searchable, and that would make AnimeNfo obsolete as far as I'm concerned.

I'd also like to have company names be searchable, as well as an advanced search option, with the ability to specify search parameters.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see new information fields added to the company forms: mailing address, telephone number, facsimile telephone number, and E-mail address. Currently these can be added using the "Other" field, but that can get messy. Dedicated fields would make this easier.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I'd like to see new information fields added to the company forms: mailing address, telephone number, facsimile telephone number, and E-mail address. Currently these can be added using the "Other" field, but that can get messy. Dedicated fields would make this easier.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=107031#107031
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Andrea303

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote
I would like to suggest something too Smile
It would be realy great if you would add to the Encyclopedia section a Games lexicon too. So many games are made based on animes, and I'm sure fans would like to know about them.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=107031#107031

^_^; Oh, well. It rarely hurts to bring up an unaddressed topic again, especially in a different thread.

Though maybe I'll bring up the need for more mods at Anime Boston...
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see the addition of a field called "Time slot" for television programs—where the day and time that a show is broadcast can be entered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21