• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Shop's DC-Funded Ad: 'Buy American,' Trade Manga for DC Issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Only you can stop the Japanese Comic Menace.

What's really stupid about the whole thing, aside the obvious, is that manga and Murrican comics are mutually exclusive. There are so few overlaps in the types of genres, and the entire release and marketing structure could not be any more dissimilar. Both can exist and occupy the same space. It's like telling you to buy an American brand dishwasher, when you're looking for a TV.

But in context for that shop and Megacon, it sort of works... Megacon is a mixed media convention, so there's a lot of comics, sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, and anime.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
GokaiLuna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
*facepalm* Anime hyper

Oh for f***sakes,
not this crap again...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
DifferentD wrote:
I don't really think it's racist.. just stupid

Personally I don't care for American comics.. and I love manga.. they're totally different to me.

Not to mention there are still American jobs tied to manga and anime >>

This. I do like Marvel and DC movies, but beyond that I'm just not into comics.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
When I saw this article, my first reaction was disbelief. Then, I started rolling my eyes and shaking my head. My final reaction was to facepalm.

I was especially disappointed to read how much DC helped to fund this advertisement. Not a smart move, DC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Wow, thats pretty stupid.

And its also a total ripoff. Trade a $10 (or so) graphic novel for a flimsy $3 comic book? Thats $7 down the crapper.

Go to a thrift shop, pickup a cheapo Volume #1 of a manga for a dollar or less (and a few (hundred) copies for friends), go to store, deplete the stock on hand in less than 10 minutes.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Wow, thats pretty stupid.

And its also a total ripoff. Trade a $10 (or so) graphic novel for a flimsy $3 comic book? Thats $7 down the crapper.

Go to a thrift shop, pickup a cheapo Volume #1 of a manga for a dollar or less (and a few (hundred) copies for friends), go to store, deplete the stock on hand in less than 10 minutes.

I have you beat, the bookstore in the local library right around the corner from this shop (yes I live nearby) recently had a bunch of volume 1's in the children's book section for 35 cents!

And to be fair, the local anime club actually uses their meeting room several times a month. They used to be based out of Full Sail, but just recently affiliated themselves with this shop.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
I'll take up their offer when DC starts publishing slice-of-life stories about cute girls eating cake and playing instruments in high school club rooms.

Not that I'll be in Winter Park, Florida anytime soon, since I don't even have a passport.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jyuichi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
I thought it was funny. Robama? I don't see how anyone can take this seriously enough to be offended but the internet proves me wrong again Rolling Eyes

I assume the ad means they buy your manga book and also give you a free DC book (due to the promo). Its not a bad idea since the new 52 is a chance for people to try out American comics.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
I assume the ad means they buy your manga book and also give you a free DC book (due to the promo). Its not a bad idea since the new 52 is a chance for people to try out American comics.

Problem is DC screwed up the opportunity to get new readers by reintroducing the concept of multiple earths, which only hardcore fans care about, and mixing new and old continuity in the reboot.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
I haven't bought any DC comics out of protest since they shut down CMX. When the DC new 52 started up, I kinda was curious about some of the titles, and even went to the store to look them up, but they had all sold out by the time I got there. I toyed with the idea of maybe getting some of the collected formats later this year, but this ad just reminded me not to do something ridiculous like that. Thanks DC! I'll stick to building my manga collection.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
I thought it was funny. Robama? I don't see how anyone can take this seriously enough to be offended but the internet proves me wrong again Rolling Eyes

Same. I was pretty surprised at the reactions in this thread.
It's clearly playing the "patriotism" theme as a joke.
omniboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
As though DC has released anything worth any of my manga...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
It's pretty disheartening to see some of the downright inane and wildly hyperbolic reactions from manga fans in this thread. No excuse to petty or too obviously tongue in cheek to get all butt hurt over apparently. Rolling Eyes
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Laughing Trade in your Japanese made car for a Ford, or GM. Laughing

Does Captain America still vote Republican? Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Haha, this is like the "Buy American" campaign to stem the flow of "Made in China" goods. And probably have the same effect. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9