• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Shop's DC-Funded Ad: 'Buy American,' Trade Manga for DC Issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Laughing While I do support buying American made products, I'm just not into American Comics.

Same here. I do love to buy highly durable American made products (although they're expensive), but who in the right mind wants to trade a quality story medium of manga with an inferior story medium of superhero comics?

Forget racism. This is just business opportunists trying to sell their inferior products by invoking nationalism.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

The Tintin film did $13 million in Japan.

There's also the (somewhat) famous Tintin Shop in Kyoto Very Happy
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
You know what? I would by American -- if there was an American comic WORTH OWNING. Or if you had any characters that didn't predate my grandfather. Or you got rid of the rampant misogyny (well, Japan has that problem too). In other words, you be better off spending your ad money on someone with actual ideas that don't involve superheroes.

Of course you realize that this is utterly moronic right?

-There are hundreds of American comics worth reading. (Anyone who makes such an absurd and universal generalization is just exposing their own ignorance).

-Even just looking at DC (to say nothing of all the other publishers) there are hundreds of more recent characters.

-DC's misogynistic tendencies are well documented and rightfully so. They are also, quite frankly, a drop in the bucket next to Japan.

-There are mountains of non super hero comics out there. I've demonstrated this several times in the past. Do you want the link?

But of course, I'm really just wasting my time here. You know all this already. You'd just rather spout the same old dumb ass self serving cliches instead. Hooray for wilful ignorance. Rolling Eyes
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:21 am Reply with quote
kuriousity wrote:
Seeing this makes me feel physically ill. Comics are comics and this is nothing but discriminatory action based on a comics' origin. Should I get rid rid of all my French comics too? Korean? German?

Makes me glad to be Canadian. I'll keep 'buying Canadian' too, which I guess means I'll buy what I want from who I want because I like it.

Not to mention the fact that DC's comics are made by Canadian, French, South American, Spanish and many Asian creators ( including a few Japanese ones over the years. There's a tpn of Phillipine comic artists too). It strikes me that someone in their ad department may of approved it without thinking things through. I imagine the higher ups and creators aren't pleased with it all
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
I started with Comic books from DC & others back in the early 1960's, I also got my first exposure to Japanese Animation ( Anime wasn't a word in common use yet ) at roughly the same time.

Fandom is too small for this sort of thing. There's a lot of overlap and we don't need a "Red Team" vs "Green Team" mentality to take hold.

I will be going to my 5th Megacon in February. It will be interesting to see what kind of response this gets, if it even makes it that far.

Mark Gosdin
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 am Reply with quote
Nick5x wrote:
I worry about what they'd do with all the manga volumes. Sell them? Toss them away?

Really, to me this says that DC (and the comic industry as a whole) is really hurting. It also tells me that the manga industry is doing much better than I thought in America.

Actually quite the contrary, last year was a huge year for American comics. And this year, with the new 52, looks like it's gonna be even bigger.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Wow, thats pretty stupid.

And its also a total ripoff. Trade a $10 (or so) graphic novel for a flimsy $3 comic book? Thats $7 down the crapper.

Stuff normally depreciates but there's a collector's market for comic books. Find a crappy volume 1 and get a new #1 issue from the new DC line. Depending on how well the line goes it could be a better tradeoff than just selling your manga on Ebay or Amazon.

Anyhoo. This 'Buy American' looks like a campy tie-in to the renumbering of the DC line and trying to bring back some nostalgia.

Yea, titles form the new 52 like Batgirl and Justice League are up to $10-20 for #1 first prints.

As much as I love American comics, this is pretty bunk. Come on DC, just because you failed hard at your attempt at Manga, doesn't mean you go against it.
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 am Reply with quote
If only it were the first time they do the whole hatred trade-in thing. If I remember correctly, there have been opportunities for trading in any of the Twilight novels for the first few number sof American Vampire. Can't find any links right now, though. And Marvel for DC, DC for Marvel trades are common when they both have events going on at the same time. Too bad most events suck, though...
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
You know what? I would by American -- if there was an American comic WORTH OWNING. Or if you had any characters that didn't predate my grandfather. Or you got rid of the rampant misogyny (well, Japan has that problem too). In other words, you be better off spending your ad money on someone with actual ideas that don't involve superheroes.

Of course you realize that this is utterly moronic right?

-There are hundreds of American comics worth reading. (Anyone who makes such an absurd and universal generalization is just exposing their own ignorance).

-Even just looking at DC (to say nothing of all the other publishers) there are hundreds of more recent characters.

-DC's misogynistic tendencies are well documented and rightfully so. They are also, quite frankly, a drop in the bucket next to Japan.

-There are mountains of non super hero comics out there. I've demonstrated this several times in the past. Do you want the link?

But of course, I'm really just wasting my time here. You know all this already. You'd just rather spout the same old dumb ass self serving cliches instead. Hooray for wilful ignorance. Rolling Eyes

Well said.

Come on Melanchthon, have you ever picked up a Vertigo title? Next time you're at Barnes and Noble pick up a DMZ trade or a Scalped Trade. Try other series like Walking Dead or even Mouse Guard for that matter. These are all "Non-Costume" books and they're all amazing. Especially Vertigo, they've been putting out some fantastic mature titles for the last decade or so.

And, even the Costume books can be great. It's magical to be an X-men fan atm. With the split of the main series between Cyclops and Wolverine both the books are superb right now. Especially Wolverine and the X-Men, it has been one of my favorites for a while.

And, have you checked out the new 52? All the characters/books you said were ancient, have all just been completely revamped.
Pick up Justice League #1 and you'll see that it's a brand new book. Granted titles like Green Lantern and Legion of Superheroes weren't really revamps just re-numberings. Pretty every other title is.

I agree that I like manga more than American comics, but please don't run your mouth if you don't know what you're talking about. Pick up a Fables trade sometime and get back to me.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
Screw P.C.! Laughing
Stutz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
It's seems to be repeated in this thread that this is DC doing this. If you think this way, reread the article. It's one comic shop doing this, not a DC promotion. So it's pretty much one or two guys that have a beef against manga, not an entire company.

The irony of this thread is there are posts in here that are similar to the attitude these shop owners have just aimed in the other direction.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's one comic shop doing this, not a DC promotion. So it's pretty much one or two guys that have a beef against manga, not an entire company.

But DC is supporting it, so they are sending a certain message.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
It's one comic shop doing this, not a DC promotion. So it's pretty much one or two guys that have a beef against manga, not an entire company.

But DC is supporting it, so they are sending a certain message.

...and I really hope that this was't a company wide-decision and instead just made from the approval of one idiot who's in charge of handing out ad money. After all, this is just one comic shop, right?

And of course, I hope this guy gets reprimanded.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:43 am Reply with quote
You know, It's past 8 AM in Orlando...

I wouldn't be surprised if this Comic Book Store's owner has been wading thru their voice mails and / or emails ( and is thinking, "What have I done?" ) when they get to the one from DC Marketing that asks; "Can we get you to rethink this? Please?".

Mark Gosdin
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Wow, thats pretty stupid.

And its also a total ripoff. Trade a $10 (or so) graphic novel for a flimsy $3 comic book? Thats $7 down the crapper.

Not really. The entertainment to price ratio is about the same. A single issue of a comic takes about 10 minutes to read. 30 for a single volume of manga.

Strange marketing campaign this definitely is. That being said, more manga fans should give comics a chance. You never know what you're missing until you actually try.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
As much as I do like reading western comics (Fables and X-Factor Investigations in particular...) I really don't like buying the single issues. $3.50 for thirty or so pages filled with ads isn't as nice compared to buying a full tankouban for $6.25. And given how American manga costs around $10 and up now I wouldn't be willing to trade one in just for a comic issue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9