• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Shop's DC-Funded Ad: 'Buy American,' Trade Manga for DC Issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Retarded. I have both an interest in manga and comics, and buy both regularly. That doesn't make me any less of an American.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Until America learns how to draw attractive girls and makes more moe/slice of life stuff, I'll just skip American comics. I have no interest in super hero stuff that never ends.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Are people racist against Chinese when they boycott buying Made in China? Laughing

RyanSaotome wrote:
Until America learns how to draw attractive girls and makes more moe/slice of life stuff, I'll just skip American comics.

There are plenty of attractive girls (some women complain "impossibly" attractive) - they just tend to be (or look) "of age."

RestlessOne wrote:
For people wondering what happens to the manga:

A rep (the owner?) stated that he planned to have a used manga sale, with each going a dollar apiece. There's some other stuff about how he was just playing off the nationalism of the cover, what with the flag. Honestly, it seems believable enough.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/front-page-comic-news/54088-robama-against-manga-new-dc-comics-funded-ad-4.html#post288893

Quote:

I don't have a lot of new 52 #1's, I've been reordering them! Plenty keep selling. I'm trying to push more to new people.

I really don't see how this is much different than the "trade a twilight for a 30 days of night" promotion other than a nationalist joke based on the cover image. I support manga and have tons of anime events here at my shop, even with this promotion, I was planning to have a used manga sell with would expose people to manga at $1 a piece.

As far as the math, a "used" manga isn't worth retail, a new DC #1 is. At that point it's just up to the fan to decide if they want something new for something old. Gamestop does asymmetrical trade ins all the time.

As for if I'm really pushing nationalism, that's silly to me, this stuff is printed in Canada anyways. I'm playing off the cover with the big flag and no ones is buying "american" anyway the are getting a book free.

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:53 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Until America learns how to draw attractive girls and makes more moe/slice of life stuff, I'll just skip American comics. I have no interest in super hero stuff that never ends.

Then don't read superhero comics.....
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Someone recommended Fables earlier and I want to second it- it's probably one of the best American comics coming out of the big publishers these days.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, there are plenty of great comics which aren't about superheroes...

...and plenty of great comics that ARE about superheroes.

As for the rest? Well for slice-of-life you'll have to turn to webcomics

...and Americans tend to be attracted to women taller then 4 feet. You'll have to get over that hurdle yourself....or read Sugar and Spike I guess if you want something cute and adorable.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yeah, there are plenty of great comics which aren't about superheroes...

...and plenty of great comics that ARE about superheroes.

As for the rest? Well for slice-of-life you'll have to turn to webcomics

...and Americans tend to be attracted to women taller then 4 feet. You'll have to get over that hurdle yourself....or read Sugar and Spike I guess if you want something cute and adorable.

There is published slice of life, it's just really hard to come by because of such a small demand for it. I hear Strangers in Paradise is pretty good, but I haven't gotten around to reading it myself. Jeff Lemire's Ghost Stories comes to mind. Not the most appealing book visually, but a very heartwrenching story about a man's relationship with his brother and how it all fell apart.

Last edited by oblivious247 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
It's one comic shop doing this, not a DC promotion. So it's pretty much one or two guys that have a beef against manga, not an entire company.

But DC is supporting it, so they are sending a certain message.

Not exactly. This was part of a program DC was offering that if you featured ONLY DC characters (which this ad does do), they'd subsidize 75% of the ad cost. I'd imagine things like appropriateness got glossed over by whomever the paper shuffler was that got assigned to approve these. Oops.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:

Here are some great non-superhero books off the top of my head:

* Blankets
* Fables
* Y: The Last Man
* Walking Dead
* Strangers in Paradise
* Usagi Yojimbo

I'd like to add Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory to this list. Cracks me up.

And I second Fables (or third, since Gia also supports this), Walking Dead, and Strangers in Paradise.

And a one-off: Anya's Ghost.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
skaly wrote:

* Blankets
* Fables
* Walking Dead
* Strangers in Paradise
* Usagi Yojimbo

I'd like to add Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory to this list. Cracks me up.

And I second Fables (or third, since Gia also supports this), Walking Dead, and Strangers in Paradise.

Add Locke & Key, as I'm totally obsessed with it right now
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
skaly wrote:

* Blankets
* Fables
* Walking Dead
* Strangers in Paradise
* Usagi Yojimbo

Add Locke & Key, as I'm totally obsessed with it right now

Morning Glories

Gotham Central (Batman appears in it, as does some of his villains briefly, but this is primarily a police procedural not a superhero book)

Scalped
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
^ Don't forget Beasts of Burden! And Johnny the Homicidal Maniac if you're into that brand of dark humor.

Thanks for creating the quote, enurtsol. I probably should have thought of that when posting Anime smile + sweatdrop

RyanSaotome wrote:

1. Define attractive. Judging by your post, you want anime-esque moe-like females...But if we're talking superheroes, the women are usually older and more realistic (at least when compared to manga characters). Or is Black Canary just ugly?

2. There are some slice of life series and there will probably never be moe.

3. There are more than just superhero comics. And some of the superhero comics do end, though they're usually creator-owned. At this point, people on this forum who still think there are nothing but superhero comics must be plugging their ears and screaming. Or just daft. We've been over it multiple times: there is more to the US comic industry than spandex.

Last edited by RestLessone on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
This campaign could potentially be undermined by attempting to trade in OEM titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
3. There are more than just superhero comics some of them do end, though they're usually creator-owned. At this point, people on this forum who still think there are nothing but superhero comics must be plugging their ears and screaming. Or just daft. We've been over it multiple times: there is more to the US comic industry than spandex.

And unfortunately it sounds extremely like westerners who claim that anime is nothing but DBZ, Pokemon and hentai.

Doesn't matter which fandom you support, generalisations like this are hypocritical and very destructive
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This campaign could potentially be undermined by attempting to trade in OEM titles.

It would be pretty funny if everyone tried to trade in old CMX copies of Megatokyo. American-made and DC-printed to boot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9