• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your favorite anime, which no one else probably knows about?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
usa_animefan1776 wrote:
Your favorite anime, which no one else probably knows about?
Gallery Fake-- 2005 series about an art gallery owner/dealer, Fujita Reiji, who may or may not deal in forgeries and the black market on the side. Often accompanying him is his assistant/romantic interest(?) Sara Halifa, a young Middle Eastern woman (noted because I think it's kind of unusual to see other nationalities portrayed in a non-caricatured manner in anime, not to mention as a main character & potential romantic partner).

I know what you're thinking-- Wow, an anime about art, zzzzzzzz. But give it a shot, it's actually really good. It includes a lot of historical trivia about famous works (not just paintings but all variety of media), not to mention art techniques and the like. You'll probably learn something whether you like it or not. Laughing And Fujita Reiji is what I call a "scoundrel" (in the yummy Han Solo sense of the word): You're not always sure he's doing the "legal" thing but in the end his heart is probably in the right place and dang it if you don't find him charming for it.

This wasn't ever licensed-- a shock, I know-- so if you're interested your only hope is fansubs.* However this is one of those shows that all but the most militant anti-fansubber could probably justify watching in fansubs because I feel very safe in saying that this will never be licensed (if I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat while handing over my money for my own copy because I'd love to own this on DVD).

(*Interestingly enough, the presumably very small [if not one-person] group fansubbing this took 5 years to complete Gallery Fake's 37 episodes but it was obviously a labor of love and this was such a good show that those of us watching it were just pleasantly surprised & grateful every time a new episode appeared.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
On this forum there is no anime that no one else knows about.

That was my reaction to this request as well. In my case, most of the shows I've watched were released after 2003 or so, so I can't point to some hoary show from the 80's that only long-time fans might remember.

I have some nominees, but they're not licensed in R1, nor do I expect them ever to become licensed. They include:

Bartender - A young bartender builds a reputation based on his ability to identify just the right alcoholic concotion to soothe a worried soul. This is an unusual series in that many of the characters are well over the age of thirty, with some even in their fifties and sixties. Each episode presents a different set of characters with their unique emotional problems. You'll also learn a lot of interesting history about liquor and how unusual cocktails are made.

Higepiyo - A family buys a strange looking chick at a summer festival then discovers it can talk. More than anything Higepiyo yearns to become a samurai. A funny show with a tour-de-force performance by Paku Romi in the title role. While the premise has some similarities to Chi's Sweet Home, Higepiyo is a lot edgier and targets a more mature audience.

Mouryou no Hako - A mix of horror and mystery, the show opens with a scene on a train where a man is carrying a box that contains the head of a young woman. Suddenly the head begins to sing. Next we're treated to a "class-S" relationship between two teenaged girls, one of whom is run over by a train. Is she still alive? Was she murdered? What happened to her body? An unusual collection of detectives try to unravel these events while we wonder how they relate to the girl in the box and how they might be connected with a string of serial murders where body parts from dismembered girls start appearing in boxes around the city.

Shion no Ou - A young girl witnesses her parents' brutal murder at age four and is adopted by her neighbors. The adoptive father is a professional Shougi ("Japanese chess") player, and young Shion decides to follow in his footsteps. Though Shion becomes mute after the murders, we get to hear her thoughts as voiced by Kawasumi Ayako. I found the murder mystery less compelling than watching Shion's growth as a character. That's Shion over there in my avatar.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume - A story adapted from the novels by Edogawa Rampo, the pen name of one of Japan's most famous mystery novelists. This is another story about an orphaned girl, in this case one who is kidnapped from her adoptive aunt and uncle by a famous master thief, "Nijuu Mensou" or "Twenty Faces." The girl Chizuko becomes a valued member of Nijuu Mensou's band of thieves until events separate the two. She spends the remainder of the story searching for her mentor with the help of her maid and a schoolgirl friend and some assistance from master detective Akechi. (In the novels the relationship between Akechi and Nijuu Mensou is rather like that between Holmes and Dr. Moriarty in Doyle's stories. Rampo is often considered the Arthur Conan Doyle of Japan.) Chizuko is voiced by Hirano Aya in what I consider to be one of the best performances of her career to date.

Hataraki Man - A slice-of-life show about an overworked and underappreciated female magazine editor in her twenties with a spectacularly compelling performance by Tanaka Rie. It's basically an office comedy about patriarchy in the Japanese workplace.

Like noigeL, I'm also a fan of Noein. One other somewhat obscure licensed series I'll mention is Oh! Edo Rocket, an historical satire about political repression set in 1843-44 during the Tenpou Reforms. The Reforms banned popular entertainments making it illegal for the hero, Tamaya Seikichi, to pursue his craft as a fireworks maker. One day an unusual young woman appears asking Seikichi to build her a firework that can reach the moon. A wacky blend of anachronisms, actual historical figures, and aliens.
usa_animefan1776

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Spastic Minnow"]On this forum there is no anime that no one else knows about. Wink

That`s why I came here Very Happy
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I am a big fan of an anime director by the name of Romanov Higa. He is a director that virtually no one seems to know about, and the same goes for a lot of his anime almost all of which are short OAVs and films. There is one you can catch on Crunchyroll which I highly recommend it's called Catblue Dynamite. A particular thing about it is why is it dubbed in English? It's not, that's the original Japanese version. Another really interesting and underrated and unkown film by Romanov is Urda. You can probably find a cheap used copy of it on Amazon, it's reviews I think only reflect the fact that it's just so unknown. I found the movie to be excellent.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
There is one you can catch on Crunchyroll which I highly recommend it's called Catblue Dynamite. A particular thing about it is why is it dubbed in English? It's not, that's the original Japanese version.
That's really cool, I plan to watch it. My only question is that on ANN's page here, it has 8 ep titles listed for Catblue Dynamite. Is that just some mistake, or is there actually more? I couldn't find any info when I googled it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
My only question is that on ANN's page here, it has 8 ep titles listed for Catblue Dynamite. Is that just some mistake, or is there actually more? I couldn't find any info when I googled it.

Catblue Dynamite Episode

Not sure how often does the page get updated, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks dormcat Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Thanks dormcat Smile

My pleasure. While I don't have enough time to participate or even browse every thread, I do have some peculiar and niched tastes, thus the thread subject drew my attention. Wink

By the way, one could check the popularity of any title in the Encyclopedia:

Seen in part or in whole by X users, rank: #Y (of 5214)

If the title falls within the top 25% I really don't think it can be regarded as "no one else knows about." Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
If the title falls within the top 25% I really don't think it can be regarded as "no one else knows about." Anime smile + sweatdrop

That would disqualify a few of my recommendations like Bartender, which comes in around rank 900 in terms of viewing. Shion falls right around your criterion, ranking 1,345th of the 5,214 shows in the database.

Ranks for my recommendations
Bartender: 891
Nijuu Mensou: 1207
Shion no Ou: 1345
Hataraki Man: 1542
Mouryou no Hako: 1607
Higepiyo: 3124

Noein: 248 (!)
Oh! Edo Rocket: 1551

That's a pretty surprising result for Noein, a show which rarely seems to be discussed any more. In contrast, Rocket, which was shown repeatedly on Funimation's cable channel and has been available via streaming for a year or two now, is still one of the least viewed shows on my list. I was shocked when Funimation licensed it since it was so obscure, and apparently licensing has done little to rescue it from obscurity.

I'm not entirely convinced this is an appropriate metric, though, given the rapid turnover in the audience for anime. Shows like Noein or Bartender might have been seen by a reasonable number of people at the time they were released, but I'd bet a poll of contemporary anime viewers asking whether they had seen either show would place them much further down the list. I'd be curious how shows would fare if we counted only people who had watched them within, say, the past three years. Haruhi is of the same vintage as Bartender (2006) and ranks eighth in total reported viewing. I wonder if it would even crack the top-50 if we counted only reported viewing in the past three years.

I'd also be curious to know how the total number of ratings given has varied over the years. Do shows that were released in the mid-2000's, when anime was seemingly more popular than today, have higher rankings just because more people were watching then?

Last edited by yuna49 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I usually pick new series to watch based on what I've heard from others. The only exceptions are when I pick out random DVDs from the library, which still means the anime was popular enough to get licensed. So I've seen very few obscure titles. But one of my absolute favorite anime is Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, which I've heard very little of from others. It's a futuristic retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo and it's one of only three anime I've ever rated as a masterpiece.
The only other anime I've really liked that I haven't heard much about is Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed. It's about a mail carrier named Fumika who delivers letters from the dead to the still living, the repercussions of these letters, and the mystery behind Fumika.
4750G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know a lot of anime which other people haven't heard of. I really did like the anime Cat's Eye when I watched it before. It's about three sisters who run a cafe by day and steal artworks at night, using the name "Cat's Eye". The romance sucker that I am, I liked the show a lot because one of the three sisters' love interest is a police officer whose main goal was to catch Cat's Eye. Sadly, I never finished it, or at least the ending has slipped from my memory. It was first released in 1983 according to ANN's Encyclopedia entry so I don't know where I'd find a copy of it now.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Kodocha, Marmalade boy, Potemayo, Arakawa under the bridge, Kaleido Star, and a few others, I consider them the underated treasures of the anime world. Very Happy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
The only other anime I've really liked that I haven't heard much about is Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed. It's about a mail carrier named Fumika who delivers letters from the dead to the still living, the repercussions of these letters, and the mystery behind Fumika.

Excellent example.

It is one my favorite anime(s) but it's not too popular and a bit underrated. I was quite surprised when I first watched it last year and especially enjoyed the OST of the series as well as the themes of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Mine would be Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars. Despite the actiony title it actually has a very slow slice of life show feel. It is largely about a boy gradually discovering that his pleasant normal looking village is actually filled with people who have super powers and aliens who occasionally have to battle other aliens to protect earth. Some of these people are his middle school friends. However, most of the time they just go to school, hangout and mess with each other, often sneaking in some super power use into their mischief. I find it quite funny and endearing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2