• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How have your tastes in anime changed over time?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Recently I've noticed that I tend to prefer lighthearted slice of life shows or comedies that aren't too heavy on the "I'M GOING TO YELL ABOUT EVERY SINGLE JOKE!".

But as far as the more serious stuff that comes out these days goes it's very rare for it to strike a cord with me. I either find them glaringly melodramatic or despicably bland with very little creativity put into it's world. I don't necessarily think everything needs to be completely original (since that's kind of impossible) but I feel like the industry doesn't take chances anymore with unique stuff. I just get tired of seeing the SAME harem fantasy shows, the SAME unreasonably idealistic protagonist getting his way, the SAME formula of tsundere character development, the SAME fanservice shows, the SAME mech shows etc. being reproduced every season with minor alterations. Perhaps I'm getting burnt out on this kind of anime but I still do manage to find enjoyment every once in a while in them.

When i first started watching anime I can say I loved just about everything. I started with Inuyasha, Detective Conan, Naruto......you know the stuff that was on Toonami or adult swim (because kids totally don't watch that channel) Wink .

When i finally got internet I was enjoying just about everything I watched too. It took some getting used to when it came to comedy and fanservice but it was something I looked forward to watching every time i got off work.

However because of that i have developed the masochistic curse of never being able to drop a show. So now that I've kind of developed into being unimpressed towards most anime it is more of a trudge than a pleasure. Crying or Very sad.

I think i should probably just limited amount of anime I watch (since i tend to watch almost everything that comes out every season) but it would likely be more appropriate for me to take break from it all together.........though that's probably not going to happen Cool

Share your own experiences below as well Wink
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I do not think that my tastes have changed significantly.
The first entire show that I bought on DVD was the Pioneer release of Cardcaptor Sakura, and it is still one of my favorite shows.
My next big purchase was the ADV release of the first two seasons of Sailor Moon, which I also still like a lot.
It is just coincidental that those two shows were recently licensed again. I have not seen the new releases.

I like to re-watch shows that I like. There are some that I have seen at least six times.
A few days ago I finished watching Scrapped Princess for the fourth time, I think. I enjoyed it just as much as I did when I first watched it about nine years ago.

The shows that I buy now are generally the same types that I have always bought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
My ideal taste in anime has remained constant over the years, which can best be described as well written, fruitful plot, genuine character development and depth, potent metaphors, and the propensity to become engrossed. NGE fits that mold for me.

I am not 'disappointed' with newer anime but there has been a personal drought wherein recent titles have failed to really knock my socks off or impress me. But to keep from becoming a conceited, arrogant otaku asswipe I always 'reset' and give each anime a fair shake. Unless it has a premise I find inherently rancid. I'm working on expanding into the territory of Angel Beats and Clannad somewhat begrudgingly.

Continually searching for that rush with incorrigible optimism. Maybe not this season, or the next but another GEM will be found in the rough eventually. Mr. Green

Reading manga offsets the lackluster seasons, I recommend them wholeheartedly.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I used to think that any series with significant fanservice content (such as ecchi shows) was automatically bad. However, I've since realised that fanservice is not inherently bad and that it all depends on how it is used.

If fanservice is there just to be a crutch to prop a poor show - or the fanservice is the entire reason a show exists in the first place - then that's still bad. But as long as a show has meaningful character development and a well-written and interesting plot, the level of fanservice doesn't matter.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
If we're talking about all the way back to the earliest days of my fandom, then the most prominent change in my anime tastes over time is that they've broadened. I originally got into it mostly for sci fi, fantasy, and action content (and to a lesser extent humor) and not until much later did I start to appreciate slice-of-life and more serious romance fare, too.

In light of dtm42 bringing up how his views on fan service have changed over time, I suppose that mine have, too, albeit in a different way. I still enjoy it a lot but have become much more discerning about its quality and am less likely to watch something just for fan service. I am also quicker to criticize when it is inserted into series where it feels out of place than I used to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
^
Titles such as Queen's Blade and High School DxD have obviously spoilt you.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that my tastes have changed, more like expanded. I started off with the typical action shonen stuff, but over the years I've learned to like romance, comedy and sometimes even slife-of-life. However a good shonen action is still very close to my heart and still perhaps remains as my favourite genre.

I'll say in High School DxD's defense that I never watch a show for its fanservice alone and so my expectations for it were pretty low. However as was the case with Cat Planet Cuties, High School DxD really surprised me with its action and character development (please don't die of laughter).
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

You're not wrong, although I was starting to expect a little more from my fan service even before those came up.

And you definite won't hear me laughing, Cam0. The level of character development in the most ambitious heavy fan service series of the past few years is highly underappreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I mostly like to sample a little bit of everything (except fanservice shows), but I've found myself watching more older series: Irresponsible Captain Tyler, Patlabor, and Armitage III to name a few. I guess you could also say that I've been in the mood for good science fiction lately and the older series have certainly delivered.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
After ten years of watching anime, I cannot say my tastes have significantly changed. I'm a bit more easily annoyed by overplayed plots and humor elements, but I'm also highly selective in that regard. I'm still happily watching high school romances and action titles for some reason Wink.
I do try to broaden my horizon, but whenever series either go into totally crazy - I have no idea what's going on *RAGE* - mode or mindless fanservice mode, I just stop and move on to the next series.

Oh yeah: if a series is nothing but cute, it's empty to me.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
My taste in anime has remained constant for the past... twenty years, when did that happen? Personally, I love the fact that anime has finally caught up to my tastes. Throw in some comedy, a little action, some girls, a guy, possibly some more girls, an ancient conspiracy {it's amazing how often those pop up} and the occasional plot or fan service scene and I'm happy.

Am I being challenged? Do I have to be? It's not that I mind being challenged, it's that many of these "structured, deep" shows can't stand the scrutiny. Especially when they start asking for it by saying how great and complex they are; "Aren't we amazing?! Just look at who made us and cower in awe!" You know which creators, you know which studios and you should know which genres, movies and shows they stripped bare in order to make the next big hit.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Expanded would be a better description of it. I initially started out watching only sci-fi and action and now it's pretty much every genre under the sun, and the reasons I enjoy each of them are all different.

The trigger to that expansion was mostly the Encore Action channel's varied selection back in the early 00s. Also, I got a free promo disc once with something I ordered that was the first volume of Rumbling Hearts, which got me to check out more romance anime.

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
I think my tastes have broadened, rather than fundamentally changed. I watch/read a lot more shonen stuff than I did when I first got into manga and anime. I was put off by Naruto, which is a series I still dislike, and I got bored of Bleach after the Soul Society arc. I thought for a while that shonen manga was just generic fighting crap. I don't know what got me into more shonen stuff. I think it's just being more open-minded about things as I've got older. My best friend IRL also got really into Prince of Tennis, so she got me into sports shows which are almost invariably shonen. I've recently (within the last 2 years) started on the works of Rumiko Takahashi (watched all of Inuyasha; plan on reading it, read and watched some of Ranma, read Maison Ikkoku). On my manga shelves I also have Bakuman (borrowed Death Note from a friend), Blue Exorcist, Tegami Bachi, Black Butler, Pandora Hearts, Kekkaishi, FMA and there's probably some more at my parents' house. I have noticed that I tend to prefer shonen written by women. It's not a conscious choice, it just kinda happened.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
My tastes haven't changed too much from what I used to enjoy. Well, I started watching some of the classic shounens and magical girl shows back during my childhood days. I still appreciate and enjoy watching them even till today although they feel a bit different.

Over time, I have come to have an appreciation for thrillers, slice of life series, and mecha. I think if any of a show has any three of those genres these days, then I can pretty much enjoy most of it unless it doe something incredibly wrong with what it has setup. I doubt my tastes will change much in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

You're not wrong, although I was starting to expect a little more from my fan service even before those came up.

And you definite won't hear me laughing, Cam0. The level of character development in the most ambitious heavy fan service series of the past few years is highly underappreciated.

What was one of the taglines for Sekerei? The booby show with a heart of gold? Excluding Great Guardians season Ikki Tousen even has decent character development. More so in the manga but still. These shows also get the best PVC figures it seems, as well as the most quantity. The work and detail on them makes most other figures from more "acclaimed" series look sad in comparison.

As for the topic my tastes have not changed all that much over time. I still like the same genres of shows as I did 20 years ago. Granted there are much more of them now, and many more sub-genres, then 20 years ago but I still enjoy the same types of shows. I may go through moods where I prefer one genre, be it comedy, action, drama, etc., over another (I do the same thing with games and books as well) but my tastes remain the same pretty much.

I still love over the top actions films/series that simply get the adrenaline going. I still love serious dramatic shows where character development and depth of the story are the driving forces. I also still love my comedies of all sorts. Be it a harem, school based slice of life, or crazy over the top weirdness. And I still love my dark and brooding thriller/horror shows as well.

So all in all my tastes have not changed much over the last 20 years. They have expanded some as new sub-genres and types of shows have come about but I don't consider that a change in my tastes really. These types of shows weren't around in the 80's or 90's in large quantities so it's not as if my opinions or tastes changed.

The one area in where my tastes have changed though is I am becoming less and less enamored with shonen jump shows. I used to love the long series that just go on and on. Even non shonen jump shows. As time has gone on though, and as more and more anime have been produced, I find it harder to keep up with those long journey shows. I find it harder to keep my interest in them as I watch episode 200. Then again now a days I rent my own house, have a full time job, life, etc. So I have less time for anime so I can't watch every show out there. Not and have a life outside watching them and work. So in that aspect my tastes have changed.

Kruszer wrote:
Expanded would be a better description of it. I initially started out watching only sci-fi and action and now it's pretty much every genre under the sun, and the reasons I enjoy each of them are all different.

The trigger to that expansion was mostly the Encore Action channel's varied selection back in the early 00s. Also, I got a free promo disc once with something I ordered that was the first volume of Rumbling Hearts, which got me to check out more romance anime.

I was much the same. Back in the 80's when I started, and early 90's, Science Fiction and Action dominated the market I feel. What got me to broaden my horizons was working at Sam Goody/Suncoast. I got first dibs, at a niceeeee discount, on all new anime. We got preview discs and promo stuff etc. Anytime we got a damaged disc in stock some of us would watch it in the back.

And Rumbling Hearts is a very good series btw. You should check out Clannad if you haven't already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3