• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Alright, I just finished Grimms Notes the Animation, it having the standard 12 episode run. It hasn't got its own discussion, nor do I expect much to discussed with, but I kind of have a bit to say that I want to put to those who watched, and maybe those who did not.

In general quality it is not really among the better shows, yet not really horrible either, but on a more specific note it is thematically a mess. The general ideas is that the characters go into different story worlds, and make sure that the story is playing out right, some characters become "chaos tellers" and throw the story into chaos, everyone having a book that shows their role, except the main characters who are blank and can take on another character to fight. In theory this is not troubling, and chances are some viewers are going to be into seeing characters they are familiar with, in fantasy battles. But it kind of makes the show one big contradiction.

If the show was about how great the original story is, to respect it, then the characters and the show itself, should actually be a problem. It is not even like the stories the go into are actually even entirely accurate to the original or even common versions of the stories. They are in essence kind of chaotic mangled versions of the original story, which should by the logic of the show be bad. The unintentional irony goes so over the top that the final boss battle has the main character, Ex, turn into I think one of the brothers Grimm, who shoots down the point of view of the villains try sacrifice people to tell a story, is not worth telling. Incredibly ironic because so many of the original stories of Grimm have their lesson in someone getting hurt. Like every story they went into had someone getting killed or sacrificed for the story, like those forced into the villain role.

One of the 'stories' was Jeanne D'Ark, which was set up as especially depressing because they know that the story would end with her dying. The characters I think come to terms with it from understanding that it would bring peace, but the thing is that the line of thinking lacks all logic, because the story worlds are all on a loop, where grandmother is a previous red riding hood or something like that. The characters in the world are aware of that fact, and thus should know that after Jeanne dies by being executed as a witch and yet peace comes, the war just starts all over again. Everyone should know that it is futile, and nothing is actually gained, so the villains are actually right that the story should be bogus in the setting. The villains really only seem to stay villains, because they pick the villainous people to mess with the story, and they all do evil villain laughs and other things that are villainous. It is a joke.

This does not even go into plot holes that the characters all own books that tell them how their lives and the story will play out, and thus know exactly things like they are going to treat Cinderella bad, that the prince won't be interested in the step sisters, and she will get the prince in the end leaving them dry. The show did try and play with this a few times, that maybe it would turn a character into being a chaos teller, and sad that they have to eventually become the villain, but in line of messing with the story, it totally plays against the spirit of the original stories. How could a character have arrogance about themselves or have the believe in themselves moments, when what will happen is right written down. Wouldn't the evil stepmother then try to have Cinderella like her as to get power? It is silly. Especially when the story land they really talk up is Alice in Wonderland, where you have to wonder where the weirdness and madness is meant to be when it is all written down. I guess that is why it looked like the final arc in Wonderland seemed strangely to lack the characters showing their books, like it could just ignore that bit and somehow have Alice somehow being the opposite of her character.

And it is that lack of spirit, that just feels like people who thought some of the imagery from the story was cool, but not really understand what is of note about that piece of work. Like a poser who can say they are so cultured for having Alice in Wonderland stuff, maybe know a few facts about it, but miss what actually makes that story. Having a hot guy with a small top hat talk about tea parties and act a little silly does not make him the Mad Hatter, nor does making his cute companion girl, have rabbit ears and be his companion while saying her name, make her the March Hare. I think the show was maybe trying to do something like explain the spirit behind each the stories, but totally misses the mark.

I give Grimms Notes The Animation a rating of So-so (5/10), generally not really keeping my attention that well.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Another show finished with its 12th episode is The Magnificent KOTOBUKI. First noting it as a CG heavy series, from its characters, environments, and planes that the dogfight in, and I would say that it worked reasonably well here, better than BanG Dream having all of its characters changed into CG models. I might even go so far as to say that the CG was a useful tool for making the dogfights actually pretty cool, where you could get wide shots of the planes fighting, and really specific angels on planes as if there was a camera placed on the plane. We would see parts of the plane move to display their mechanics, and the world twisting around them, mixed with good sound directing it could really bring out a scene. The final battle was especially awesome with all these planes darting around buildings or pillars, and being pretty suspenseful.

I am not entirely positive with the show though. At least for me it kind of felt often lacking in a compelling aspect to keep me invested with the characters, I kind of would zone out with the character interactions. I generally know what was going on, I just maybe think a little could have been done to make them feel more interesting. Something about the models, but again comparing it to BanG Dream 2, there were some nice animation bits in how their faces change expression and stuff. The last episode was especially good, that I wonder what the reason is for my difference of attention, I am not even entirely sure what the conflict was despite being so into the last episode, that is how wide of a difference it is.

I give a rating of Decent (6/10), usually it had trouble keeping my time, but a number of times made it certainly not a waste of time.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
Watched the second seasons of Durarara x2 and love it all. Really enjoyed the new characters, the stories along with them & old characters, and the dub performances. Binge my way through it all. Laughing

Watched the second half of Sailor Moon S, and felt like the Viz cast really nailed those final episodes. Getting me teary eyed.
Waller80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
I am currently watching this awesome site.
Kim Vang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:41 am Reply with quote
watching this one https://b-the-beginning.fandom.com/wiki/B:_The_Beginning_Wiki i think these series are totally awesome
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys. How long has it been, three...four months? Anyway, I've been super busy with adulting that the only anime I've been watching are My Hero Academia and Jojo's: Diamond is Unbreakable. Now I'm adding Promised Neverland and Fruits Basket onto my list, since that's what everyone's raving about. Maybe I'll like them.
#teasomer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
my hero academia started to watch
RiahaThai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I was watching A Bridge to the Starry Skies anime. The end credits show each character with a background of flowers. I was wondering what the flowers meant?

Somebody once explained the flowers used in the opening or ending of one of the seasons of Natsume Yujin-Cho.
SuperDerperSayain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok....so upon my various bouts of depression I've been searching for a new anime series that can reignite some spark of joy in me. ( Don't judge me) and after mutiple hours of searching and trying a bit of everything and not sticking to one...I decieded to finalllllllly put effort into rewatching FMA. It's a show that holds a special place in my heart and my background with it is I'm sure very similiar to others. I caught as a young kid on adult swim and felt edgy. Pretty soon I started collecting the original funimation clear case dubs containing 3(4 maybe?) Episodes in each one. I had never watched it properly from beginning to end. Having seeing episodes in bursts of three or 4, all at random parts of the series. Long story short I've seen ALMOST everything and I know of all the MAJOR plot points but this is hitting me in my feels....I'm at episode 28. I would like to know all of your thoughts on this series and favorite moments that hit you in the feels

...apologies if this is not posted in the right area, as this is my first post.

( side note....i was looking for an old anime forum i use to visit and lurk as a teen on my desktop. Anime boards seems to be the one i was looking for but i presume its dead.....ah good times... ) Crying or Very sad
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I loved Yona of the Dawn! Drawn by the art, loved that and everything else about the show. The pacing was good and like the foundation of how the characters met and joined the group. Characters have good chemistry after they up and interested in the political intrigued. How I wish it has more seasons! Ending left a good taste to what's to come.

Love the cast! I was surprised that Sabat was Son Hak, as I never thought of that voice in a roll like this. He nailed it and kind of open my horizons for a voice like that in a role like that, lol! Chapin as Yun was excellent, helped me love that type of character and in a particular episode pull off good range. Laughing Ian Sinclair just continues to be my top fave in shows! Very Happy But really, the whole English cast was golden for me and would love to see more seasons with all them continuing their roles.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Over Easter I binged on Sunao Katabunji anime. I finally got around to watching Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage and Roberta's Blood Trail. While I mostly enjoyed the original series the stunts, posturing and exaggerated scenarios undermined any attempt at complex drama. The two sequels are much the same. Highlight of TSB is the fates of Hansel and Gretel - both nasty and, Gretel's in paricular, startling. RBT has become my highest ranked instalment of the franchise, thanks to its storytelling.

Better were the two films of his I watched: Princess Arete and Mai Mai Miracle. While neither are quite in the same class as Katabunji's masterpiece In This Corner of the World, I definitely prefer his leisurely films to his hectic series.

I also watched, from another director altogether, Princess Principal. Sure, it's action fluff in much the same way as Black Lagoon, but without the gore or in-your-face bravado, but I was beguiled by the detailed world-building and the Prince and the Pauper story line. This was my favourite moment:

I'm not a fan of sports anime as a genre, but I could really get into a series about 11 cricket playing Japanese schoolgirls against the bully boys of the Australian test team. Mind you, Chise's technique leaves a lot to be desired, particularly when you compare it against Shiki Ryuji's glorious hook shot in Garden of Sinners.

Lastly, I've downloaded Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. Although I've yet to watch it, the opening song is awesome - all bouncy and uplifting yet with despairing lyrics. Love the dissonance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:

I also watched, from another director altogether, Princess Principal. Sure, it's action fluff in much the same way as Black Lagoon, but without the gore or in-your-face bravado, but I was beguiled by the detailed world-building and the Prince and the Pauper story line. This was my favourite moment:

PP has some awesome worldbuilding. I think what is great about those moments with Chise is that it let her period Japanese traits be the strange fish out of water, while making the more English Victorian element feel the more natural. For me, the top worldbuilding episode was the morgue episode, with the standout scene being the pub. I also thought the show was cool in how it used twists and slow revealing of information, using the out of order episodes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree. Chise was probably my favourite character, precisely for the reasons you give. The morgue episode is bitterly ironic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see some love for Princess Principal, one of my favorite shows of the past couple of years. I was most enamored of Dorothy, and not just for her figure. She shows a lot of poise in some episodes as befits her being the oldest. The scene in the train car in episode 10 with Dorothy and the iincho girl was quite stunning.

As for Lagoon, I think the best single arc is "Fujiyama Gangsta Paradise," the five episodes that conclude Second Barrage. Washimine Yukio may be my favorite yakuza boss of all time. Being voiced by one of my favorite seiyuu, Kuwashima Houko, only adds to Yukio's appeal.

I'm about half way through rewatching Shin Sekai Yori the moment. I found it easier to keep up with the info dumps having watched the show before, even if it was back when it was released in 2012. The changes in directorial styles are still jarring, though Yamauchi's episode ten (Saki goes to find Shun) was much more fitting and often beautifully illustrated compared to his episode five (Saki and Satoru escape). It's sometimes hard to see Saki as just fourteen in images like this one though.

Over the weekend I inhaled all 25 episodes of That Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime. Shows like this never catch my attention when I'm browsing seasonal lists, but I'm glad I followed the advice of a couple of people who suggested this show. It's much better than I would have thought given the title. It's really about politics and nation-building, putting it closer to Log Horizon and Twelve Kingdoms than the usual harem isekai.

I continue to follow Dororo and GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018). We're in a bit of lull with Kitarou as the writers give the audience a chance to chill out a bit after a very dramatic six or seven weeks. I'll probably keep up with Mix while I try and remind myself that, despite their appearances, Tou and Otomi are not Kou and Aoba from Cross Game. Oh, and Nomo is a lot cuter than Punchi.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I also really liked Dorothy. I was a bit indifferent about her until the episode with her father that somehow gave her character a kind of warmth that immediately made her my favourite character. Also really liked Chise though. The scene where she wants to challenge the fencing girl to a duel is hilarious.

I started watching Drifters. It's cool. Though kinda like Hellsing Ultimate, the show has weirdly out of place comedy that just doesn't work for me. The contrast between most of the show and the silly comedy with chibified characters is just jarring. The show is still entertaining though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1021 of 1062