• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man Withdraws Allegations Against Evangelion Voice Actor Daman Mills

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I honestly don't know which side to side with at this moment because, while I don't think this is the case for this situation, screen-shots can be easily faked. However, I certainly am not going to be some #IStandWithDaman-type person. Whoever is the guilty party, I hope a long prison sentence is given to them at some point.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
In the two times I met Daman Mills he was nothing but kind to me. It just really sucks that every time I end up liking a character (ex. Kagari in Psycho-Pass) the VA ends up being a creep.

Good people do bad things. Bad people do good things (and can be very kind).

Truly understanding that makes it much easier to handle when it happens to be someone you thought positively of in the past.

-t

Ain't that the truth.
Separating the art from the artist is something I really need to work on.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, I honestly don't know which side to side with at this moment because, while I don't think this is the case for this situation, screen-shots can be easily faked. However, I certainly am not going to be some #IStandWithDaman-type person. Whoever is the guilty party, I hope a long prison sentence is given to them at some point.

No one is going to go to prison for this.

It's exceptionally rare for people to go to jail for defamation in the US. I'm not aware of it ever happening, and I don't know if it's even possible to get a criminal conviction. It's usually handled in civil court.

The allegations, while disturbing, are fairly mild. If Duncan were to press charges at this point, and somehow Duncan were convicted of groping him and other lewd acts, I'm pretty certain it wouldn't qualify for a prison sentence. It might result in him becoming a registered sexual offender though.

-t
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Since we are on such a subject, to me when it is proven that a person did INDEED lie to the cops, especially concerning sex crimes, the liar should serve a mandatory sentence of at least 3.5 years. Yes, this is what I think the length for perjury and filing a false report should be. However, I know such convictions rarely happen. Heck, it is also sick when it is proven that a person committed a sex crime, they freq. do not serve a lengthy sentence.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With all due respect, it said, in a separate sentence, that Mills requested the retraction. The article did not say that the request was made in the Cease and Desist letter. Regardless, I've made the following edit for clarity: "In a separate communication with Duncan, Mills asked that the allegations be retracted before he would consider granting an extension to respond to the cease & desist." Please consider offering people a little more grace.

Thank you for the edit for clarity. But I have to ask, have you actually seen that communication from Mills' attorney? I would hope so, as you cite it in both articles. But it should be patently clear to anyone who reads that email that an extension was indeed offered. The email then asks if any retractions had been made to date, based on the refuting evidence and screenshots Mills' attorney provided in the Cease and Desist and subsequent communications. It also encourages "Duncan" to seek his own counsel to evaluate that evidence, and consult with them before making a decision.

Again, the deadline was extended, and the terms of the Cease and Desist, which did not include a request for a retraction, were subsequently met. No further legal action has been taken or threatened, and no subsequent contact has been made by Mill's attorney.

"Duncan's" retraction was based on the advice of his own legal counsel, a fact the writing staff of ANN is aware of.

Last edited by 935449 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:14 am Reply with quote
You're arguing a point none of the staff here are making.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:33 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
You're arguing a point none of the staff here are making.

OK.

Last edited by 935449 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Mirvana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:28 am Reply with quote
Sadly, I think we have precedent for how this'll potentially affect Daman's career, at least as far as dubbing anime goes. Todd Haberkorn had a similar incident of questionable-consent (though not with an individual one may classify as a "minor") shortly after the Vic situation escalated. Todd's roles have shrunk, but he's clearly not been outright blacklisted. He's still voicing shows/characters he's done for years and popping up in the occasional minor/background role. Todd's action were also not directly tied to any of the companies he's worked for (unlike Vic's, whose actions some of which took place on Funimation grounds, incentivizing them to actually take action). I'm not saying it's the proper outcome to apply to Daman's circumstances (or to Todd's for that matter), just that there are enough parallels I can't say I'll be surprised if this is more a speed-bump than a nose-dive for him. If no major press releases come out from any of the major studios, we'll probably never know if any major disciplinary actions will arise from them unless something like a new Dragon Ball series/movie/game comes out and there's an all new voice for Frieza or SE reveals a new actor for Weiss in the next part of FF7R.
onefiveeightseven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:56 am Reply with quote
935449 wrote:
That description is not correct, and that inaccuracy is evident to anyone who has actually seen these correspondences. Have you?

I'm curious as to what someone in Daman's circle close enough to see legal correspondence is doing in this thread arguing on anon with ANN staff and bringing even more eyeballs to this.

This seems like it could be more damaging for Daman than helpful. I hope this is being done with his consent, as he has had enough troubles this last week.
Infel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:45 am Reply with quote
"Believe all victims!" except when the accused is one of us, then it's "bully all victims!"

Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, I honestly don't know which side to side with at this moment
The correct answer is: you don't take sides. You let the corrupt and nepotistic anime VAs fight and bicker among themselves and laugh when they try to act all moral and virtuous.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Infel wrote:
"Believe all victims!" except when the accused is one of us, then it's "bully all victims!"

Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, I honestly don't know which side to side with at this moment
The correct answer is: you don't take sides. You let the corrupt and nepotistic anime VAs fight and bicker among themselves and laugh when they try to act all moral and virtuous.

Said the pot to the "kettle".
jeffpiatt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Legally he's a Indipedent Contractor since Actors are not employed by Studios and haven't been since the founding of SAG. It's likely unless he makes noise that Sony Pictures HR in Clover City will look into this and if they find something will put a block on him being hired for roles in the future. Him being prosecuted in Texas is restricted by the time between the crime and the term the state has to file charges. No one is defending him but it sounds like his legal team was proactive in filing Gag orders via NDA. Basically the Michael Jackson defense.
kpossibles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Mirvana wrote:
Todd Haberkorn had a similar incident of questionable-consent (though not with an individual one may classify as a "minor") shortly after the Vic situation escalated. Todd's roles have shrunk, but he's clearly not been outright blacklisted. He's still voicing shows/characters he's done for years and popping up in the occasional minor/background role.

He's still doing a bunch of ADR work for Netflix so I don't think it really hurt his opportunities tbh
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:14 pm Reply with quote
kpossibles wrote:
Mirvana wrote:
Todd Haberkorn had a similar incident of questionable-consent (though not with an individual one may classify as a "minor") shortly after the Vic situation escalated. Todd's roles have shrunk, but he's clearly not been outright blacklisted. He's still voicing shows/characters he's done for years and popping up in the occasional minor/background role.

He's still doing a bunch of ADR work for Netflix so I don't think it really hurt his opportunities tbh

Todd's also doing Genshin Impact too. So he's still working.
Waterstarlight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Apparently someone on Twitter claiming to be “Duncan” posted his version of the story. He even posted proof. You think that’s really him?
https://twitter.com/duncanwentz/status/1503901383145279494?s=20&t=HIeD8VyTOiwhkmre9_25Mw
https://twitter.com/duncanwentz/status/1503901540230250499?s=20&t=HIeD8VyTOiwhkmre9_25Mw
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6